Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

We the people need to demand that this prison be closed. We are not privy to what goes on there, and I believe the gov't needs to prove their charges or set them free. Right now it's indefinite detention, without charge, without trial, without hope, this is so wrong. They can accuse anybody of being a potential terrorist and lock them away.
Then there is this.

Quote:
Each captive held at the facility costs taxpayers approximately $800,000 per annum – more than 30 times the cost of keeping a captive on US soil, according to the Miami Herald 2011 report. That’s also more than the most expensive four-year US college degree.
Quote:
Earlier this month, Adnan Farhan Abdul Latif was found dead in his cell at Guantanamo Bay, making him the ninth prisoner to have died in custody. He had been ordered freed in 2010 after respondents “failed to demonstrate that the detention of Latif is lawful.” His name does not appear on the list.
'Long overdue': 55 names of unfairly imprisoned US Guantanamo inmates released — RT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Good point. Has Obama ever answered why he did not close Gitmo on his "first day in office" as he promised during the '08 campaign?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8USRg3h4AdE

Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Gitmo Costs $800K/Year Per Detainee | Mother Jones

Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
What was the cost of the 9-11 attacks? 100 billion or more? 800k to lock up terrorists? not likely...we have nothing to lose by keeping these terrorists locked up....

Old 09-24-2012, 10:54 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Good point. Has Obama ever answered why he did not close Gitmo on his "first day in office" as he promised during the '08 campaign?

Obama's Promise to immediately close Guantanamo - YouTube
If I recall correctly it was because the republicans filibustered to deny funding that would allow Gitmo to close and bring those awaiting trial, to be brought to the U.S., imprisoned and tried on U.S. soil.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 AM

Yes Revrandy, at the time I was convinced by the talking heads that bringing them to the US was a bad idea. I have since changed my mind. They are our prisoners, and as such deserve the protections of our Judicial system. A speedy trial, to face their accusers, and a verdict. That would be far cheaper than keeping them in Gitmo. We also have many military prisons here.
List of U.S. military prisons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am about to watch a documentary on this prison. I admit I will have to get back to it, I don't have time right now. I will link to it in case others want to view it with me. At this time, I have no idea if this video supports my position or not. I do believe we are being trained to view all Muslims with suspicion, preferably as vicious animals, as gov'ts want to portray all their perceived enemies.
Just keep an open mind.

Gitmo - A documentary on Guantanamo Bay Cuba. - YouTube

Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
We the people need to demand that this prison be closed.
That would be refreshing since NIMBY is the reason that Congress, both Democrats and Republicans voted placed in the National Defense Authorization Act
Sections 1026 and 1027 prevent the use of federal funds for building detention facilities in the United States or transferring Guantanamo detainees to domestic facilities or releasing them into the United States. It effectively continues a congressional policy of preventing more Article III criminal trials of Guantanamo detainees and preventing the construction of alternative facilities that would enable President Obama to fulfill his promise to shutter Guantanamo.
Confused About NDAA and Detention Provisions? Here's an Explainer | Crooks and Liars

Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 PM

The video highlighted the secrecy of this place, the recreation facilities for the soldiers, and that few can speak due to signed non-disclosure agreements.
I frequently watch CNN's program on our prisons, they have cameras on the inside, interviews with prisoners, even the ones on death row. What's so special about Gitmo, that media is so restricted? This is anything but transparency. Then there is the policy of rendition, where prisoners can be sent to countries that have no qualms about torturing. This has to stop. If they weren't our enemy before, they sure as hell are now.
We are hiring private contractors to do what soldiers used to do, but the contractors have no rules of engagement, no law, no restrictions.

Articles - Welcome to "Close Guantánamo"

Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That would be refreshing since NIMBY is the reason that Congress, both Democrats and Republicans voted placed in the National Defense Authorization Act
Sections 1026 and 1027 prevent the use of federal funds for building detention facilities in the United States or transferring Guantanamo detainees to domestic facilities or releasing them into the United States. It effectively continues a congressional policy of preventing more Article III criminal trials of Guantanamo detainees and preventing the construction of alternative facilities that would enable President Obama to fulfill his promise to shutter Guantanamo.
Confused About NDAA and Detention Provisions? Here's an Explainer | Crooks and Liars
What do you wanna bet that there won't be one question about this legislation in the debates coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies