Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times

Advertisements

EXCUSE ME???

We AREN'T allowed to have our kids bring ASPIRIN to school, but they are giving shots and potentially lethal meds to kids as young as 14 UNLESS the parents opt out? I don't know about you, but I know for a fact that while growing up, I didn't get every piece of paper given to MY kids to be given to me.

Parents not told NYC schools dispensing morning-after pill | Fox News

Quote:
The New York City Department of Education is providing morning-after pills and other birth control drugs to students at 13 city high schools.
School nurse offices supplied with the contraceptives can reportedly dispense "Plan B" emergency contraception and other oral or injectable birth control to girls as young as 14 without telling their parents -- unless the parents opt out of the program after receiving a school letter informing them of the new policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Talk about overreach on the part of a public school system! I'm strongly in favor of abortion rights, but to allow a school to provide abortions (which is what the MA pill is) to kids is just wrong.

Perhaps if schools focused on teaching rather than focusing so much on health care they could do a competent job.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:53 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
I'm not saying I agree with the school, but the MA pill is not an abortion. It prevents pregnancy, it doesn't destroy a fetus.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm not saying I agree with the school, but the MA pill is not an abortion. It prevents pregnancy, it doesn't destroy a fetus.
This. I don't think they need to have them in schools, but the morning-after pill is no more an abortion than a condom.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Does it not cause the body to eject the fertilized egg? Which in the eyes of many is a fetus.

Unrelated question, but does the "morning after" pill require a prescription to buy at a pharmacy?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Does it not cause the body to eject the fertilized egg? Which in the eyes of many is a fetus.
As I understand it, it prevents conception entirely. And a fertilized egg is a zygote, not a fetus. The only people who would view an unattached fertilized egg as a fetus are those who failed 1st grade biology. Fetus is a medical term, not a colloquial expression.
Quote:
Unrelated question, but does the "morning after" pill require a prescription to buy at a pharmacy?
A prescription is only required for someone under the age of 16 by most pharmacies. So if these girls at the school are 14, they should need a prescription, but there is nothing stopping a 17 or 18 year old friend from buying it without a prescription and giving it to the 14 year old.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

No, it does not work if the egg has already been fertilized - I think you're confusing meds... Plan B (Morning-After Pill): Effectiveness and Side Effects

And if you're over 17, a prescription is not required.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Schools should not be involved with this at all. Period. Educate the kids and there is no reason to go past education. No handing out pills or condoms.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Good. There needs to be more pregnancy prevention for teenagers.

It's all very well for those of you who have a good relationship with your children - opt out and what's the problem?

However, there are some girls who would never ever go to their parents after they've had sex, in order to get the Plan B pill. I'd rather the parents didn't know than another 14 year old have a baby, because they're too scared to talk to their parents.

If the horse is out of the barn, what's the problem? It's not like the girl's virtue is intact. Let her get the contraceptive and not be stopped because her parents won't approve. Better than her having a child in the bathroom at Prom and then throwing the poor thing in the dumpster.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Maybe these schools are getting tired of seeing so many girls dropping out after getting pregnant??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies