Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Absolutely not. By voting Libertarian, you help build buzz, and buzz is what made OWS and the TEA party forces to be considered, and the TEA party has and will continue to make a difference.

Right now, your choice is between an expansion of the military and an expansion of other collectivist programs. What kind of choice is that? Help fertilize the seeds of change by voting Libertarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Unfortunately, you're wasting your vote if you don't vote either D or R. We have what we have now because of stupid, stubborn people who insisted on voting for Ron Paul, who wasn't even running.

No man is perfect for the job, but I'd rather vote for the lesser of the two evils than throw away my vote on someone who doesn't even remotely stand a chance. That's just a waste of time and gas.

realy?

the only vote that is wasted is the one not cast. so keep your "vote is wasted" theory to yourself. let the individual voters vote for whom they want.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 AM

83 posts, read 79,547 times
I subscribe to a simple rule. If you vote, you get the right to b*tch. If you don't vote, you don't. "Don't blame me - I voted for _____" is valid. You've put your input into the system, and that's how the system improves. "Don't blame me - I didn't vote" isn't putting any information into the system - there's no way to tell the difference between a protest "didn't vote" and an indifferent, disengaged, lazy "didn't vote".

So by all means! Vote for a non D/R candidate and earn your right to complain! =)

Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
It's none of my business if you're gay, or if you want an abortion (there better be a damn good reason but it's not me to judge), and I don't care if you're on welfare (but you better well deserve it ... hands up not out people) but I do care about being fiscally conservative. God, buddha, allah, whatever floats your boat. I took this test and it said I should vote for Gary Johnson.

I want to shake things up. I'm sick of hearing the democrats blaming the republicans and the republicans blaming the democrats. Stop pointing fingers and get to work!!

I had no idea what a libertarian point of view was until I took the test and now I kind of agree with it. Any other libertarians out there? Am I just wasting my vote away? I really don't want Obama to be re-elected, and even though I'm not a fan of Romney, I can tolerate him.

Decisions decisions ...

(sorry if I posted in the wrong spot ... not sure if this fits the "election" category)
It does depend what state you live in and whether you would rather vote for someone you like or someone you hate less.

I suppose if you live in a swing state, then vote for whomever you feel is the "lesser of two evils" of the two mainstream parties. If you live in a state that is virtually guaranteed to go to either the Republicans or the Democrats (states like Utah, California, Texas, Hawaii, etc.) then you might as well vote for whomever you want and send a message.

And, yes, you are not the only libertarian on this board. I'm one as well and there are several others. But don't get too infatuated with libertarianism that you become a mindless partisan. Just like any other ideology vary in intelligence and sanity.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
It's none of my business if you're gay, or if you want an abortion (there better be a damn good reason but it's not me to judge), and I don't care if you're on welfare (but you better well deserve it ... hands up not out people) but I do care about being fiscally conservative. God, buddha, allah, whatever floats your boat. I took this test and it said I should vote for Gary Johnson.

I want to shake things up. I'm sick of hearing the democrats blaming the republicans and the republicans blaming the democrats. Stop pointing fingers and get to work!!

I had no idea what a libertarian point of view was until I took the test and now I kind of agree with it. Any other libertarians out there? Am I just wasting my vote away? I really don't want Obama to be re-elected, and even though I'm not a fan of Romney, I can tolerate him.

Decisions decisions ...

(sorry if I posted in the wrong spot ... not sure if this fits the "election" category)
Don't let anyone tell you that voting Libertarian is a "Wasted" vote. The only wasted vote is the one cast that perpetuates the status quo. Both of the major parties got us into this trouble and they answers needed to get out of it are not found in them. The Dems and Reps like to say that Libertarians have no chance so don't "waste" your vote - that is how they trick people into keeping their sorry a$$es in office. If people would vote their convictions instead of settling for either of these because one is deemed "less evil" than the other, then some real change can really start to take place.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
if 10% of the democrats, 10% of republicans, all Libertarians and all independents voted for Gary Johnson, then neither obama nor romney would become president.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:

Decisions decisions ...

I vote libertarian too, because both R/D are proven failures.

The best way to make your vote useless and to "waste" it, is to vote for someone like Romney or Obama who are guaranteed to continue same old policies we have been employing for 40 years.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Most people (in their heart of hearts) are libertarians.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How about being a free thinker and not conform to a political ideology.

Believe it or not. Libertarianism is a political ideology.
Believe it or not, free thought is also an ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies