Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
President Barack Obama is trying hard to win veterans, but it looks like they’d prefer a new commander in chief...

Veterans retreating from Barack Obama - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com
Not this one. And I know many more who will never vote for dips&**( romney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Couldnt get past the 3rd page. I knew many idiots when I was in the military,I see nothing has changed

Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Couldnt get ppast the 3rd page. I knew many idiots when I was in the military,I see nothing has changed
As did I. The ones who always ran out of money before pay day and then would borrow $50 for 80.
The ones who couldnt seem to grasp the idea that they had to be back on time.
The ones who spent more time and energy complaining how bad it was than just doing their damn job.
The ones who smoked pot even though we had random drug testing.
Yes I knew quite a few idiots also.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I don't think most vets supported Obama to begin with. The military in general tends to be more conservative.

Which Mitt's past has proven he is no Conservative, especially when he himself has admitted on camera, that he is a Progressive Republican.

The vets were behind Ron Paul, no question, but now it is a crap shoot.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Dear?
Please, condescend much?

Try reading what I wrote, or did you choose not to do so?
I read it. You seem to think the military are getting some sort of free ride to include "job training, free ride with rent, education, health care, reduced food costs, etc.," which you equate to welfare. You live near or work on some military base and you don't think military actually work. What I don't get is how you complain about the military getting reduced food costs, when you apparently do too, given that you shop at the commissary.
Quote:
Actually, they do.
I shop commissaries and I see it every day.
They also buy cigarettes, coffee and other items that they shouldn't buy (using the same insane logic as others).
You think the military has done or is doing nothing in defense of this country.
Quote:
BS.
I work in a military community.
Many don't have real jobs.
What freedoms are the military defending? Which of your freedoms are under attack in Afghanistan, Africa, Asia, etc.
It's glorified welfare and intern programs.....

You don't want welfare, but the military gets as much: free housing (BAH), utilities, medical, dental, education in small classes, reduced infant formula and diapers (BAS), WIC because they don't have to count most of their income. After 20 year they get a great retirement and medical. Who else in the US can work for such a short amount of time with full retirement benefits?

What are they defending again?
And what about the single parents in the military sucking off of the system.
Or are they your sacred cow?
Although I don't know why you care since you apparently live in Germany.
Quote:
That's funny, I go to Thailand to the doctor and live in Germany.
A friend of mine just traveled back to Germany (lives in US but from the north) to go to the dentist.
She doesn't trust the archaic US dental practices.
I guess you are a civilian employee who works on a military base in Germany - who doesn't think a whole lot of the people who essentially pay her. Unless you are an actual military person or the spouse of one, which means you are getting that military welfare yourself. I must admit I am curious what category you fit in - I'm actually betting on DoDDS employee. If you think I am being condescending to you, perhaps I am guilty; I always have an issue with people who are willing to work for organizations they trash. Shows their money isn't where their mouth is.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-25-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Now be fair Chiel. You cant blame the military for not doing their base mission if their civilian masters dont allow them to do so.
It's like saying that hammer isn't driving nails when the one swinging it is using it to break windows.
If I had my way we would cut the military by 30% along with this we would stop acting as the world's police force.
11 carrier battle groups????? Billions a year to maintain. Why are we the only ones in the world that need 11 carrier battle groups?
They join of their own volition and do nothing to protect me.

What is their base mission?
Seriously.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I read it. You seem to think the military are getting some sort of free ride to include "job training, free ride with rent, education, health care, reduced food costs, etc.," which you equate to welfare. You live near or work on some military base and you don't think military actually work. What I don't get is how you complain about the military getting reduced food costs, when you apparently do too, given that you shop at the commissary.
You think the military has done or is doing nothing in defense of this country.
Although I don't know why you care since you apparently live in Germany.
I guess you are a civilian employee who works on a military base in Germany - who doesn't think a whole lot of the people who essentially pay her. Unless you are an actual military person or the spouse of one, which means you are getting that military welfare yourself. I must admit I am curious what category you fit in - I'm actually betting on DoDDS employee. If you think I am being condescending to you, perhaps I am guilty; I always have an issue with people who are willing to work for organizations they trash. Shows their money isn't where their mouth is.
Think whatever you like.
But you know what assuming does, DEAR, don't you.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:04 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
I think it's really a matter of many vets trying to maintain party loyalty once they get out. Republicans lead them down the primrose path while they were in so the veteran usually believes that support will continue to follow them once they get out. Many of course are in for a rude awakening once that transition is made to the civilian world, at which point they begin to realize that the same party who they once swore had their best interest at heart now no longer considers them their responsibility (problem) and in fact views them like they view every other "entitled" government leech. Meanwhile, the party they were taught to despise while on active duty is now busy trying to get them jobs bills, increased disability and GI Bill payouts, and a more robust, efficient, and responsive VA.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
They join of their own volition and do nothing to protect me.

What is their base mission?
Seriously.
To defend this nation. That is why I am against UN missions of any kind. Worl cop missions of any kind and or humanitarian missions of any time. They quite simply are not part of the mission.
They do join. With the understanding that their job is to defend their country. The breach is not on their part or by choice. The breach is from the civilian leadership.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This old veteran and many of those he knows have been against Obama right from the start. Of course, not many of us are far left leaners.
What I am unable to comprehend is how any veteran, who has sworn an oath to protect and defend the US Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and domestic, could vote for Obama. By casting a vote for Obama they are violating their own oath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies