Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:48 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times

Advertisements

Well, here's an article that sure doesn't think Mr. O'Reilly is fair and balanced, and although I think Mr. O'Reilly has some credibility, this article and a study done by IU on O'Reilly as a propagandist adds weight to a depiction of him as a self-righteous, narcissist.

Bill O'Reilly: Propaganda Pimp

What's your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 07:05 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,854 times
I agree with Snoop Dogg.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:05 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
Quote:
"O’Reilly called a person or a group a derogatory name once every 6.8 seconds, on average, or nearly nine times every minute during the editorials that open his program each night."
Have to say I've seen this accusation on O'Reilly before, and it is very deceiving to say the least. The only way to possibly come up with the 6.8 second average is to include such horrible insults as liberals, far left, the anti war crowd, the secularist, etc. Not something I would call derogatory considering those same people call themselves the same thing quiet often.

Besides, who cares if O'Reilly and Hannity are annoying loud mouths? So are Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews. But I don't hear the complaints rolling in about them, most likely due to their ratings not being all that great so they are much easier to ignore.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Even without ever having perosnally met any major network talking heads, I just can't help thinking that most if not all of 'em are self-righteous and narcissistic.

That would almost seem a BOQ.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:11 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,362 times
Well of course he has his agenda, and spins away to please his target demographics.

I think you will find the problem you will run into with your query however - is that Indiana University is a school of higher education and institute of higher learning.

Schools of higher education and institutes of higher learning as we all know - are filled with liberal elitist anti-U.S. professors.

So any studies conducted by Universities or that are peer reviewed cannot be considered credible.

You have to find people that dropped out of high school to provide credible feedback, because they have Common Sense and are salt of the earth.

But these are often the same people that are listening to O'Reilly in the first place.

Hence the dilemma.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Well of course he has his agenda, and spins away to please his target demographics.

I think you will find the problem you will run into with your query however - is that Indiana University is a school of higher education and institute of higher learning.

Schools of higher education and institutes of higher learning as we all know - are filled with liberal elitist anti-U.S. professors.

So any studies conducted by Universities or that are peer reviewed cannot be considered credible.

You have to find people that dropped out of high school to provide credible feedback, because they have Common Sense and are salt of the earth.

But these are often the same people that are listening to O'Reilly in the first place.

Hence the dilemma.
I love hearing classist mockery from the "progressive" side.

It confirms.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:17 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
bily4 made me laugh (thanks bily), but your sure got a chuckle from me, too, tnbound2day.

Do you really think analysis is based on ratings, or perhaps the phenomenon of the high ratings provoked the study?

In any case, yes, many watch the O'Reilly's; others watch Olbermann, but one of the things I've noticed--and mind, I don't watch TV, I watch clips of portions of these programs--is the way in which each of these named and those unnamed commentators "comment."

O'Reilly does get red in the fact, and I don't think that is misrepresented. And O'Reilly does use many adjectives that although are rightly in the dictionary, really are overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Have to say I've seen this accusation on O'Reilly before, and it is very deceiving to say the least. The only way to possibly come up with the 6.8 second average is to include such horrible insults as liberals, far left, the anti war crowd, the secularist, etc. Not something I would call derogatory considering those same people call themselves the same thing quiet often.

Besides, who cares if O'Reilly and Hannity are annoying loud mouths? So are Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews. But I don't hear the complaints rolling in about them, most likely due to their ratings not being all that great so they are much easier to ignore.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
He would probably be hard to live with, but I do enjoy listening to him harangue for an hour. I just take it for what it is worth, and occasionally learn something. He is a cut above the rest. And he has nice blue eyes!

Oh, also, I have 4 degrees, make more $$ than anyone I know, but still consider myself with good judgment, good common sense and the salt of the earth.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:23 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,854 times
I flunked out of elementary school but I still consider myself a stuffy, condescending elitist of the earth.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Is O’Really still on the air?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies