Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:00 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,466,028 times

Advertisements

You spend a lot of text blaming the President when, frankly, he neither writes nor votes on the laws. That would be the job of the houses of Congress. The Republican party has, thanks to, first, their filibuster power, then a straight majority (though not the requisite supermajority to overcome a Dem filibuster), been able to manipulate or block outright Democratic laws. Hell, the Republican party has twisted some laws it would have written and voted through ten or twenty years earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Politifact checked the statement by Restore our Future that the real unemployment rate was 19%...the figure was dubbed "mostly false" because the numbers were inaccurate...they were high...but only a little. Politifact looked at the actual unemployment figure in conjunction with those who have all together quit looking for work.

They found the TRUE unemployment rate to be closer to 16%

So...we've spent well over a trillion "priming the pump" to get the economy jump started which hasn't happened. I won't contest that it's stablizied but to be fair Bush started the Keynesian policies that Obama is now credited with...we've passed the healthcare bill which was, per nancy pelosi, supposed to create 400k jobs almost immediately, we've increased the regulatory burden SUBSTANTIALLY with Dodd-Frank...we've subsidized union legacy costs and pensions through this ridiculous auto bailout costing TONS of money (Which Bush ignorantly started yet Obama takes credit for)and the FHA is still very much involved in home lending which essentailly undercuts a private companies competitiveness because it's quite difficult to have the liquid credit of the federal government to compete with....naturally this hurts job growth as well.

THIS is a sign of a positive recovery?

Allow me to lower myself to the level of most liberal thread posters I've seen and supplement my post with a series of emoticons aimed at expressing my angst. : smack:

There...now I feel better.

Follow the link to read the entire article.
PolitiFact | Mitt Romney-aligned group says 'real' unemployment rate is 19 percent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Politifact checked the statement by Restore our Future that the real unemployment rate was 19%...the figure was dubbed "mostly false" because the numbers were inaccurate...they were high...but only a little. Politifact looked at the actual unemployment figure in conjunction with those who have all together quit looking for work.

They found the TRUE unemployment rate to be closer to 16%

So...we've spent well over a trillion "priming the pump" to get the economy jump started which hasn't happened. I won't contest that it's stablizied but to be fair Bush started the Keynesian policies that Obama is now credited with...we've passed the healthcare bill which was, per nancy pelosi, supposed to create 400k jobs almost immediately, we've increased the regulatory burden SUBSTANTIALLY with Dodd-Frank...we've subsidized union legacy costs and pensions through this ridiculous auto bailout costing TONS of money (Which Bush ignorantly started yet Obama takes credit for)and the FHA is still very much involved in home lending which essentailly undercuts a private companies competitiveness because it's quite difficult to have the liquid credit of the federal government to compete with....naturally this hurts job growth as well.

THIS is a sign of a positive recovery?

Allow me to lower myself to the level of most liberal thread posters I've seen and supplement my post with a series of emoticons aimed at expressing my angst. : smack:

There...now I feel better.

Follow the link to read the entire article.
PolitiFact | Mitt Romney-aligned group says 'real' unemployment rate is 19 percent

I have friends and family throughout the country and they say the economy is recovering in their area. It may be slow but it's definitely getting there. Romney has no ideas how to speed it up because he can't do it. I don't understand why some people vote on a single issue anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies