Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:16 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times

Advertisements

^
Because the guys are attracted to the girls?

Folks,there is track records of gays in the military in other militaries, militaries as effective as ours ...mainly the Israeli and British. The Australians and Canadians let gays in too...and the Aussies are arguably even more macho than us Yanks.

So, why not do a lessons learned from these militaries to see how it worked? No problems with them? Wont be any problems with ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:16 PM

679 posts, read 615,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Would somebody please explain to me what was wrong with Don't Ask Don't Tell? If you are gay and out there defending my liberties, God bless you and thank you, but nobody needs to know about your sexual preferences.

Or so it seems to me.
Ignoring all of the things that could be said about this that would come off as ranting I'm just going to look at what you said.

Your quote seems to imply that your issue with homosexuals in the military is them forcing knowledge of their sexual preferences on others.

The problem with that was that under Don't Ask Don't Tell you had lots of gay soldiers that kept that fact secret and didn't tell anyone, but because of a small slip in some way shape or form like someone reading their private diaries or digging through their private pictures and then outting them to the superior officer, the gay soldier would then be forced out.

When people go on witch hunts to ferret out any gay soldiers and out them to the superiors so that the homosexuals are forced out of service, that seems to be wrong. Your issue wouldn't be brought up to the number of soldiers that this occurred to and so that would be just one thing that was wrong with Don't Ask Don't Tell

Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
Because the guys are attracted to the girls?

Folks,there is track records of gays in the military in other militaries, militaries as effective as ours ...mainly the Israeli and British. The Australians and Canadians let gays in too...and the Aussies are arguably even more macho than us Yanks.

So, why not do a lessons learned from these militaries to see how it worked? No problems with them? Wont be any problems with ours.
Seriously, if the Israeli Military and Mossad can handle gays serving, Americans are just wimps.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
If your rights and liberties are being defended by Americans (homosexual or heterosexual) regardless if there is a policy in place or not - and lets face it, the DADT is old hat now - does it really matter? Just be thankful these brave men and women are sacrificing some of their freedoms to defend yours.
I agree with most of your points, but seriously, what freedoms of mine are they defending in Afghanistan, Africom, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why do you think male & female soldiers sleep in separate quarters?
I'm a het and have been out of the military for decades, we shared quarters back in the day.
Trust me, there was a lot of room sharing with het couples even in the 70s.

465 posts, read 508,109 times
Quote:
Would somebody please explain to me what was wrong with Don't Ask Don't Tell? If you are gay and out there defending my liberties, God bless you and thank you, but nobody needs to know about your sexual preferences.

Or so it seems to me.
the problem was it wasn't don't ask don't tell don't pursue then i would agree with you but since they investigated people constantly that made the difference because it wasn't don't ask don't tell and we won't bug people to find out about your personal life it was, don't ask don't tell and we'll bug everyone you know to find out if you are or not

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Read the articles.

It will enlighten you about WHY ... HOMO-SEX-UALS were forbidden to serve OPENLY in the MILITARY.
Now they aren't. Makes no sense why a group of people have to further sacrifice their rights and liberties just to defend the ones who seek to take them away.

I wonder about your mental processes sometimes. Do you NOT want Americans defending your rights and liberties? Because that's what your saying.

Get off your high horse and show some class - try serving next to the men and women in the armed forces. It's not as easy as it looks. I would know - I'm a Navy Veteran.

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Read the articles.

It will enlighten you about WHY ... HOMO-SEX-UALS were forbidden to serve OPENLY in the MILITARY.

Sorry, but you have once again drawn weak conclusions and crack pot theories out of what must be a substantially sized rear end for all the crap manufactured.

I will remind you and others, once again, that the American military was BORN out of the direction of a homosexual from Europe, whose standards and training are still apart of the American military. Maybe if you were the benefactor of some of that "homo history" that you rail against in schools, you would have known that.

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
llowing gays to serve in the military is not the same as integration; it's just a social experiment by Obama. This should have never been implemented.

Obama wants to create Gay dorm experiments in a war zone.

You think
This seems to be a topic you seem to have such a special interest in. I'm wondering ... are you homosexual?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:

Or so it seems to me.
Because it forced many extremely talented, trained gay soldiers to be discharged from the military for something that wasn't their fault. We're not talking about people who run around the base flying a rainbow flag, cheering "I'm gay!". People can figure out someone is gay even if they are very discrete about it, and it's wholly unethical and unfair that gays get discharged because someone they trusted outted them or someone invaded their privacy and found out illegally.

We lost what like 12,000 Arab linguistics because of DADT. Do you have any idea how much training those guys went through, and they lost their government job and years of training because someone found out they were gay?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because it forced many extremely talented, trained gay soldiers to be discharged from the military for something that wasn't their fault. We're not talking about people who run around the base flying a rainbow flag, cheering "I'm gay!". People can figure out someone is gay even if they are very discrete about it, and we it's wholly unethical and unfair that gays get discharged because someone they trusted outted them or someone invaded their privacy and found out illegally.

We lost what like 12,000 Arab linguistics because of DADT. Do you have any idea how much training those guys went through, and they lost their government job and years of training because someone found out they were gay?
Gays have always been in the military, and they weren't discharged if they kept their unacceptable sexual proclivities to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies