Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 PM

83 posts, read 79,571 times

Advertisements

To be honest, if Romney were like Rick Santorum, I bet the Mormon thing would be attacked a lot more.

As it stands, and I'm surprised to say this, I think he made a giant tactical error by not emphasizing his Mormoness a lot more than he did, to counter-balance his business record. It seems like the most human, decent party of him (along with his obvious commitment to his family) by a wide margin. It's wildly more sympathetic than his tenure at Bain shutting companies down. I've seen more than a few people say, essentially, Mormon theology might be bizarre, but Mormon institutions, and values, and behaviors are by and large very laudable, decent, and admirable. Very conservative in the way that most Americans of all stripes can see value in. I think that case could have been made a lot stronger.

Here's a thought - if your ears are perking up at Anti-Mormon bigotry, there's a pretty good chance that you're a Mormon and are really sensitive on that topic, because for most people, the Mormon thing has largely been treated pretty decently in the public sphere, all things considered. Yeah, there are cheap shots from time to time. That's part of being in the public sphere. But it's NOTHING compared to the Obama-is-a-Muslim-stuff, which is just a deluge.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
1. Romney is a Mormon, ergo, his religion must be attacked. If Romney was a Democrat, Mormonism would not be attacked.
You're dead wrong on this one. Democrats hate Mormons as much as Republicans do -- just for different reasons. The religious right believes Mormonism to be a non-Christian cult, but the left has major issues with the Mormon Church's stance on most social issues (as do I, and I'm a Mormon).

Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
How about a link to some of these mythical anti-mormon posts?
Type "Mormon," "Mormons," "Mormonism" or "LDS" into your City-Data search engine and the mythical will suddenly become very, very real.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're dead wrong on this one. Democrats hate Mormons as much as Republicans do -- just for different reasons.
Wow. You think people hate Mormons? Really? As in I hate you because you're a Mormon?

I hate to break it to you, but Mormons aren't even on most people's radar except when the bicycle "Wanna be a Mormon?" guys knock on the door. People may think Mormon beliefs are loony but if people hated Mormons wouldn't they be punching out the guys on the bikes? Most people just slam the door because they don't like to be interrupted. Same as the guys who sell the over-priced spray cleaner door-to-door and the guys who want to paint your house because they just "happen to be in the neighborhood".

Just seems kind of strange. To the point of thinking you are these "special people" that everyone else hates. Sorry. You aren't that special. We're equal opportunity door-slammers in this country. Maybe Mormons need to get over themselves if that's the attitude of all Mormons.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-29-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. You think people hate Mormons? Really?
More or less. Just speaking from personal experience.

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but Mormons aren't even on most people's radar except when the bicycle "Wanna be a Mormon?" guys knock on the door.
Based on the crap I hear every day on City-Data, it appears otherwise.

Quote:
People may think Mormon beliefs are loony but if people hated Mormons wouldn't they be punching out the guys on the bikes?
Not necessarily. People don't always punch out the people they hate.

Quote:
To the point of thinking you are these "special people" that everyone else hates. Sorry. You aren't that special.
I think the word "special" was yours, not mine. As I said before, I see my beliefs ridiculed every time I get on the forum. It was merely an observation. I'm not asking you to agree with me.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:04 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Well, I'll bite. Mormonism is a decidedly odd, just this side of Scientology crackpot cult based upon one clever farmer's ruminations stemming from an era of many crackpot religious movements of the time, it just happened to have survived, so far. I don't give it much thought other than the same deserved irritation I give all insecure belief systems that have the unmitigated gall to use my private property and valuable time to prop up their own fragile egos by wrongly assuming that they have the answers to questions I am not asking.

As Gore Vidal famously said "I regard monotheism to be the greatest disaster ever to befall the human race". Stop being such a ridiculous baby like the Muslims, If you are going to believe that crap and even worse, subject your fellow human beings to ridiculing their own belief systems by the very act of proselytizing and trying to inject those beliefs into public policy you deserve everything coming your way.

I think Romney and the Mormons have been treated with kid gloves if you ask me. Baptizing long dead Jews, really?

Old 10-01-2012, 01:45 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Default Mormonphobia on the rise with "tolerant" liberals....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
It seems like we have a lot of bigots on this board.
Because the liberal media has been promoting anti-Mormonism lately and their young progressive sheep just go with it because they desperately want to be part of the "in" crowd.

Study: Liberal Anti-Mormonism On The Rise
The left have turned against the faith since 2008, according to a new study, spurred by Romney and same-sex marriage.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
As I said before, I see my beliefs ridiculed every time I get on the forum. It was merely an observation.
You know what?

So do I.

But I realize this is a free country and people are entitled to their opinions. I read stupid stuff about Christians all the time on this board. I read stupid stuff from Christians.

And if you want real ridicule and hate... find a thread about the Duggars.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
If Mormons didn't spend millions of dollars trying to take rights away from gay people, maybe so many people wouldn't hate them. Ironic that a Mormon is complaining about innocuous internet posts while they and the leaders of their cult are spending money to officially enshrine status for gays as second class citizens into the laws and constitution. It was only a few decades ago that Mormons had an official policy against treating African Americans as equals, now they are doing the same thing to gays and lesbians. If Mormons want respect they need to learn to treat other people with respect as well.

And the whole baptizing dead Holocaust victims thing really upsets me. Does any Mormon not see the huge problem with converting someone like Anne Frank into a freaking Mormon cult member?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:

I think the word "special" was yours, not mine.
Now that would be an interesting thread.

Do Mormons Think They're Special? (Special meaning better.)

even better:

Does Mitt Romney Consider Himself Special Because He's A Mormon?

or

Does Mitt Romney Think He's Better Than You Because He's A Mormon?

That could be all kinds of fun. Too bad it's against my religion to start threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies