Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times

Advertisements

A Dutch lawmaker released a film highly critical of Islam on Thursday, setting verses of the Muslim holy book against a background of violent images from terrorist attacks.

FOXNews.com - Dutch Lawmaker Posts His Anti-Koran Film on Internet - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
that dudes got a wild hairdo!!!!!heheheheh Geert hehehehhehhee

Good movie though ...we'll show it at the next militia meting

Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
It's nothing but a piece of fluff.
Anyone could have cut and pasted this movie together so there’s nothing new and is only anti-climatic.
I expected something more substantial like the Satanic Verses, then again, the Satanic Verses was written by Salman Rushdie, a true intellectual and writer.

I guess Wilders was justified in not wanting to enter in any public debate with the many different Muslim organisations in Holland, cause he would only have been ‘intellectually bitchslapped' by them.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:38 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
It's nothing but a piece of fluff.
Anyone could have cut and pasted this movie together so there’s nothing new and is only anti-climatic.
I expected something more substantial like the Satanic Verses, then again, the Satanic Verses was written by Salman Rushdie, a true intellectual and writer.

I guess Wilders was justified in not wanting to enter in any public debate with the many different Muslim organisations in Holland, cause he would only have been ‘intellectually bitchslapped' by them.
Tricky

I saw a copy of Satanic Versus on a coffee table years back. It was probably way over my head, but I struggled for an hour or two trying to read just the first few pages. After that, I wanted to issue my own Fatwa against him as I couldn't decipher what the heck he was writing.

You condemned Wilder's work weeks ago before you saw it. Now you say it isn't substantial enough. Is Wilder's silence what you want? I don't know the man other than his video, what you said and the Wikipedia entry. I would just like to understand the issue better. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bob The Builder
Quote:
You condemned Wilder's work weeks ago before you saw it. Now you say it isn't substantial enough. Is Wilder's silence what you want? I don't know the man other than his video, what you said and the Wikipedia entry. I would just like to understand the issue better. Thanks.
I did not condemn his work, only how he operates.
He only provokes others then plays the victim.
In short Wilders is a populist, like Hitler.
All they do is only prey on the fears of the masses.

Wilders promised to publicly burn the Qu’ran in this film.
He did not so he is nothing but a cowardly liar.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder I did not condemn his work, only how he operates.
He only provokes others then plays the victim.
In short Wilders is a populist, like Hitler.
All they do is only prey on the fears of the masses.

Wilders promised to publicly burn the Qu’ran in this film.
He did not so he is nothing but a cowardly liar.
You are right. I was trying to remember what you said about him. It provoked me to look him up. You condemned HIM. Not his work.

It can be argued that the Qu'ran is figuratively burned in this video. You really have it in for him. It seems so personal. If Theo Van Gogh were still alive and made a similar video, would you be so critical? Is it Wilders, the subjectmatter, or something else?

Please. No offense intended. Just curious. BTW, what is up with that hairdo?

Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
If Theo Van Gogh were still alive and made a similar video, would you be so critical?
Theo, unlike Wilders, debated (often) with the Muslims. That was his aim, to provoke the Islam into a dialogue over ethics and not just (blind) faith.
Theo at least tried to build bridges, while Wilders is only out to destroy them.

Willders is his style because he only has 1 tactic which is to provoke others into making him a victim, and when they don't fall for that he calls them cowards.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The BuilderTheo, unlike Wilders, debated (often) with the Muslims. That was his aim, to provoke the Islam into a dialogue over ethics and not just (blind) faith.
Theo at least tried to build bridges, while Wilders is only out to destroy them.

Willders is his style because he only has 1 tactic which is to provoke others into making him a victim, and when they don't fall for that he calls them cowards.
Okay. Got it. It is Wilders and his style you DESPISE. But Tricky. Chill out. It is probably his hairdo that upsetting you.

I didn't know the distinction between Theo and Wilders. Thanks for pointing this out. Didn't work out well for Theo though.

How do you think this is going to play out? Is the video too nothing to cause harm or are you looking at some violence?

Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
How do you think this is going to play out? Is the video too nothing to cause harm or are you looking at some violence?
I believe that the Dutch Muslim should feel insulted, because Wilders keeps refusing to enter into a debate with them. Constantly avoiding a (public) debate is running away from your personal responsibilities.
Wilders has not broken the law, but the fact that he is a mediawhore surely is disturbing and possible harmful for foreign relations.
I believe that our government has acted properly by stressing that Wilder's opinion is not the government's opinion.
Neither those of the Dutch majority.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder I believe that the Dutch Muslim should feel insulted, because Wilders keeps refusing to enter into a debate with them. Constantly avoiding a (public) debate is running away from your personal responsibilities.
Wilders has not broken the law, but the fact that he is a mediawhore surely is disturbing and possible harmful for foreign relations.
I believe that our government has acted properly by stressing that Wilder's opinion is not the government's opinion.
Neither those of the Dutch majority.
I watched the video about an hour or so ago. It had the "Cartoon" in it at the beginning. That triggered some killings last time. Do you see violence on the horizon?

You bring up this debate issue. I agree that debate is a wonderful tool, but the problem seems to be that one side thinks shooting you is an effective debate tool.

Can you direct us to any debates between Theo and the Muslims? I would like to see how they went. Assuming that murder was not in the cards, who would be in such debates? Would you suggest Wilders be in that debate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies