Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,708,587 times

Advertisements

So what percentage of American population can afford to drive???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Maybe some of us don't work at Target or Starbucks and can afford to drive...

Gas could be $10 a gallon and it wouldn't phase me. It would actually make the Sunday drive more comfortable; far fewer cars on the road.

Oh, we have Caltrain and BART, and great weather. I have the best of both worlds.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM

31,296 posts, read 20,802,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is BS! I remember when I lived in Phoenix back in the early 90's- it used to take about 2 hours to go from East Suburbs like Mesa, Tempe to the other side of the city by bus. Ridiculous! The light rail in Phoenix is definitely a success story!

Downtown Phoenix back in the early 90's was a dump-living downtown Phoenix was the most ridiculous idea back in those times, not so much anymore!

I lived in Minneapolis for 6 years and Minneapolis Light Rail is a great success as well- I remember last time I went to a Twins game by light rail, it was absolutely packed!

I could go on and on- but there are many light rail success stories all over the USA!

If you define "success" as just running and taking some people from point a to point b, then I agree. Lot's of light rail runs just fine.

But if success is defined by cost effectiveness and having a positive impact on gridlock, then light rail is a total failure.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:55 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Incorrect. The Alaska Railroad Corporation is under the State of Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development.

Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development

The railroad is also used to ship coal from Fairbanks to Seward to be loaded on vessels and shipped elsewhere.
So, what you're saying is that the rail line was built to actually serve a purpose? A unique perspective to our lefty friends!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Driving isn't a right. Who cares?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I don't find most of what has been said here entertaining. As a matter of fact, it is very sad that most people think they are "free"- yet fail to realize that they are enslaved by the oil companies and the lack of alternative means of transportation. Actually, it is very sad!
And you think that the government isn't the largest plantation owner in America?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 PM

31,296 posts, read 20,802,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
About 90% of American households have a car.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,385,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So, what you're saying is that the rail line was built to actually serve a purpose? A unique perspective to our lefty friends!
I'd have to do some research to come up with the origins of the ARR, but the fact is that it hasn't got the traffic base to sustain profitability in an open market. Nevertheless, the Federal government considers it essential to both the state and the nation, so Uncle Sam, albeit indirectly, picks up some of the tab.

The point being, all forms of transportation involve participation with the public sector to some degree, but the freight railroads and the vast majority of truckers make the cleanest possible break with it. And some exceptions are permitted to exist for specific reasons; the ARR is one of them.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,018,361 times
I just love these threads..... CARS ARE BAD?

Why is it home heating isn't as bad? Why is it cooked food isn't as bad, after all it's all from the same energy sources.

Why is it cities are as bad? These cities waste tons of oil on a day to day basis just heating everybody's apt!

By these standards going to wok anyway you can get there is bad. You exhale CO2 and that job uses energy!

Face it those of you who are greenies drop dead; you will save the rest of a lot of resources.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM

Having a car and being able to afford a car are two different things. Because of absence of public transportation, people with low income are forced to buy car because otherwise they cannot go to work/cannot go to college/cant go for shopping. So even if a person cant afford a car, he/she is forced to buy it thus making him more poor/more debt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
About 90% of American households have a car.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 PM

How many highways pay for themselves by gasoline tax? how many airports are able to run only on passenger service fees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If you define "success" as just running and taking some people from point a to point b, then I agree. Lot's of light rail runs just fine.

But if success is defined by cost effectiveness and having a positive impact on gridlock, then light rail is a total failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies