Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess anything that smacks of God is bad to atheists. They just don't see that they haven't taken over yet but they are gaining and will continue to do so as long as Obama is in charge. That change was one of the saddest things I have heard about concerning the military and God.
Funny, I'm atheist but I feel offended on God's behalf that He's being linked with the killing of people--not the other way around. If I were a Christian I'd consider it blasphemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Thats an ..interesting...response. You disagree that atheism is a belief? Thats rather hard to say, don't you think? Hardly a frustrating concept.
Athiests BELIEVE that there is no God. That the Bible is a fairy tale, that Christ was merely a cult leader, blub blub. Thats an indisputable fact. Atheist groups, of late, have been rabid in their attacks on Christianity. Only Christianity, or at least that is tbe only religion they trash that gets any coverage.
Perish the thought that they put up signs trashing Islam and Mohammed over Ramadan. Some douchebag Imam somewhere might issue a fatwah and panic tbe federal government into interceding. No, Christianity is the target of tbe bunter here. Its not hard, at all, to understand how Christians can worry that our Faith is being singled out and feel we are under attack.
Nobody worries about offending Christians. Christians dont kidnap and torture diplomats and burn embassies if some one makes a caricature of Christ. I havnt seen a display of a Koran steepd in feces put on display and passed off as "artistic expression" (and in a publicly funded venue as well) in this country. Tbat is a general example so dont ask for a link. There are to many examples of profaning Christianity in tbe name of art and free expression tbat are common knowlege.
Bullies go after targets that dont react violently. Thus, Christianity is in vouge to demean and profane.
Our current administration blatantly panders to Islam, and tacitly encourages the attacks o er Christians as inconsequential. If the current course continues, in tbe future it is quite possible that Christianity could be overtly persecuted in this country.
How about that piece of "art" called **** Christ? A cross in urine....thats art? No condemnation from the Feds for that! If this "artist" had immersed a Crescent in urine reaction would have been swift. Fatwahs flying about like gnats and tbis current administration scrambling to get it pulled. Grrrrr...the hypocrisy never ceases to amaze.

Last edited by NVplumber; 10-05-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM

502 posts, read 717,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its unimaginable now, but considering less than 50% of young adults today consider themselves Christian and the rhetoric coming from most young people is that religion, especially Christianity is an evil, despicable belief system that has done nothing but hold society back from progress, is it possible that when today's twentysomethings get into power we could start seeing government regulation of religion? Certain things are almost certain in the next 30 years, such as churches no longer being tax exempt, Christian holidays being removed from our list of national holidays, and possibly the banning of religious symbolism/imagery where viewable by the public, but can/will it go farther than that? Will the Bible be banned as "hate literature" because of its passages concerning homosexuals? Considering most on this forum are in that young twentysomething age group and are strong atheist, what do you want to see for the future of religion in this country?
Young people laugh/scoff/snear at religion when they're in the sex-drugs-and-rock-n-roll stage. After they flunk out, get knocked up, hit rock bottom, etc. and approach the big 3-0 they go into the getting-old-now-and-need-religion stage of life. It's like young women: they want to sleep around with alpha douche bags for years during high school and college, then around 28-29 they come back into the church thinking they still deserve some nice Christian guy to be their husband and clean up their mess, lol.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
It will be illegal not to submit to the state 100% eventually. Give to Cesar what is due to him...(the state) - give to God what is God's....seeing the reality of it all is that everything belongs to God and nothing belongs to the state..Real Christians will clash with the state and laws will be made to control them....For instance if a war is being wage that is primarily the plunder or another nation...and Christians do not want to pay tax to support that evil enterprise- they will be jailed for evasion..

Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Thats an ..interesting...response. You disagree that atheism is a belief? Thats rather hard to say, don't you think? Hardly a frustrating concept.
Athiests BELIEVE that there is no God. That the Bible is a fairy tale, that Christ was merely a cult leader, blub blub. Thats an indisputable fact. Atheist groups, of late, have been rabid in their attacks on Christianity. Only Christianity, or at least that is tbe only religion they trash that gets any coverage.
Perish the thought that they put up signs trashing Islam and Mohammed over Ramadan. Some douchebag Imam somewhere might issue a fatwah and panic tbe federal government into interceding. No, Christianity is the target of tbe bunter here. Its not hard, at all, to understand how Christians can worry that our Faith is being singled out and feel we are under attack.
Nobody worries about offending Christians. Christians dont kidnap and torture diplomats and burn embassies if some one makes a caricature of Christ. I havnt seen a display of a Koran steepd in feces put on display and passed off as "artistic expression" (and in a publicly funded venue as well) in this country. Tbat is a general example so dont ask for a link. There are to many examples of profaning Christianity in tbe name of art and free expression tbat are common knowlege.
Bullies go after targets that dont react violently. Thus, Christianity is in vouge to demean and profane.
Our current administration blatantly panders to Islam, and tacitly encourages the attacks o er Christians as inconsequential. If the current course continues, in tbe future it is quite possible that Christianity could be overtly persecuted in this country.
How about that piece of "art" called **** Christ? A cross in urine....thats art? No condemnation from the Feds for that! If this "artist" had immersed a Crescent in urine reaction would have been swift. Fatwahs flying about like gnats and tbis current administration scrambling to get it pulled. Grrrrr...the hypocrisy never ceases to amaze.
Quote:
be·lief

   [bih-leef] Show IPA
noun 1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.

2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.

3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.

4. a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

A "belief" in something is required when, in spite of evidence to the contrary, or no evidence at all, a person (such as yourself) insists that their opinion or conviction is true. So, tell me, what 'something' does an atheist insist to be true, in spite of evidence to the contrary, or no evidence at all.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:11 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
A "belief" in something is required when, in spite of evidence to the contrary, or no evidence at all, a person (such as yourself) insists that their opinion or conviction is true. So, tell me, what 'something' does an atheist insist to be true, in spite of evidence to the contrary, or no evidence at all.
An athiest INSISTS that there is no God. Yet cannot incontrovertiblely prove this to be true. You confuse atheism with agnosticism. Pretty simple even for "someone like me" to understand. You can't push my buttons. If you are an atheist "believe" as you will. Just use a little common courtesy(and common sense) when arguing your belief. Yes BELIEF.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Funny, I'm atheist but I feel offended on God's behalf that He's being linked with the killing of people--not the other way around. If I were a Christian I'd consider it blasphemy.
God does not oppose the right of a nation to protect itself - thereby having a military.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
An athiest INSISTS that there is no God.
No, actually most atheists just claim they don't believe in one. Lack of belief is not the same as assertion of knowing something doesn't exist.

Quote:
Yet cannot incontrovertiblely prove this to be true. You confuse atheism with agnosticism. Pretty simple even for "someone like me" to understand. You can't push my buttons. If you are an atheist "believe" as you will. Just use a little common courtesy(and common sense) when arguing your belief. Yes BELIEF.
So you have belief in Vampires, Zeus, Unicorns, Fairies, Leprechauns, etc.?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
God does not oppose the right of a nation to protect itself - thereby having a military.
Where did Jesus approve of a military to slaughter people in senseless wars? All the Apostles were martyred for their faith. They didn't grab weapons and fight off their persecutors.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 AM

161 posts, read 304,458 times
Atheism will be illegal long before religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies