Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,226,123 times

Advertisements

I couldn't rep you again yet but I concur. Most American voters just don't have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Actually as a radical libertarian I just point and laugh at you fools who think choosing a new master every 4 years is going to make anything better...I don't complain I just listen to the fools who march to the polls intent on voting for the less of 2 evils who think he will change their lives and bring back Amerika from the verge of destruction then I listen to them whine and moan because it didn't happen like they wanted it to and I laugh and say I told ya so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Well I am glad an anonymous person on the internet thinks so....truly I am...
I find it appalling to those that decry against the free market don't know how the very basic of free markets work in the first place.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
This new line of Libertarianism in the United States is starting to become rather cancerous and here is why. It is plausible to argue that less government regulation can aim to boost economic production. However the majority of you (yes many of you are on these forums) try not to understand anything about economics, but would rather just complain. That is all you do is complain about moot points about things you take out of context or refuse to understand.

I think my example can explain it best:

The United States government heavily subsidies agriculture, especially corn as one of the largest recipients. According to the Libertarian ideology, such subsidies should be removed because it is effectively allowing the federal government to artificially lower the prices of food domestically and effect the food trade market globally. Now say we do reduce or get rid of the subsidies and corn becomes more expensive to produce as a result. Now the production of high fructose corn syrup becomes considerably more expensive and thus the businesses that make products that involve sugar or sweet products may aim to import more sugar cane. This in turn increases the price of that part of the industry. Corn is also heavily used in animal feed which would increase the price of feed and increase the cost of raising life stock for things such as dairy or meat. In short we will see a large increase in food prices because the government is no longer keeping them artificially low.

You know what would happen under this situation? The libertarians would complain about the increase in food prices and somehow aim to blame the government for this. To me it seems this phase of libertarianism is nothing more the closet Republicans who are experts in the art of complaining and scape goating about things they know little or none about.
Well, since you apparently know everything, I'd just like to point out that feeding livestock corn is far from ideal. Cows are not even biologically designed to eat corn, it is bad for them, it causes them to get sick, and then they are fed antibiotics which end up in our food supply. Corn fed cows also don't seem to provide the same level of nutrition as grass fed cows.

Corn also requires a huge amount of fertilizer and water to produce, so it has an enormous negative impact on the environment.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that your straw man fails because it is based on bad information, and you should really do more research and educate yourself before you decide to label and stereotype an entire group of people.

That Burger You're Eating Is Mostly Corn: Scientific American
Quote:
Corn has been criticized as being unsustainable based on the unusual amount of fertilizer, water and machinery required to bring it to harvest
Quote:
it has resulted in widespread environmental degradation, including drained water supplies, degraded soils, and reliance on fossil fuels for fertilizer, pesticides and farm machinery fuel
Quote:
It's also hard on cows, whose stomachs are specially designed to break down the cellulose in grass, leading to an epidemic of antibiotic use. Also, humans may lose out on beneficial omega-3 fatty acids—important for development of the nervous system and heart health—when they consume corn-fed as opposed to grass-fed beef.

Cows Eat Grass- Not Corn or Soy- Pastured, Grass Fed Meats, Real Food

Quote:
They are ruminants, a type of animal with multiple stomachs, built to eat grass and process the nutrition offered in that grass, nutrition that benefits us when we eat then eat the meat of these animals.
Quote:
Many problems arise for the cows when they are forced to eat these products and they get sick and need large doses of antibiotics.
Quote:
almost all corn and soybeans grown in the US are Genetically Modified Organisms (or GMOs) which carry extreme animal and human health, global, environmental and extreme agricultural consequences.
Quote:
The corn and soy fed to cows in feedlots or CAFOs (where most supermarket meat comes from) are very high in Omega-6 fatty acids and so the meat is high in Omega 6 fats. When people eat this high Omega-6 meat, then they become imbalanced, with a poor ratio of Omega-3: Omega-6 fats.
Quote:
Chickens are also greatly impacted by a non-native diet (i.e. corn and soy) in place of their usual grass, seeds and insects. (Chickens are NOT vegetarians!) This issue extends to eggs as well. Pastured eggs (eggs from foraging chickens) have that ideal Omega ratio of 1:1, but the corn and soy fed commercial eggs is at least 19 times higher in Omega-6 than Omega-3!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So if we are planting far more than we need the price is not going up. You also have no clue what the argument for subsidies are and why they are even around.

They are not made available to artifically keep prices low. They are used to buy votes.

Didnt ya know, libertarians dont beleive in supply and demand either.Ask the OP , he will tell you.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM

861 posts, read 1,250,199 times
Quote:
This new line of Libertarianism in the United States is starting to become rather cancerous and here is why. It is plausible to argue that less government regulation can aim to boost economic production. However the majority of you (yes many of you are on these forums) try not to understand anything about economics, but would rather just complain. That is all you do is complain about moot points about things you take out of context or refuse to understand.

The United States government heavily subsidies agriculture, especially corn as one of the largest recipients. According to the Libertarian ideology, such subsidies should be removed because it is effectively allowing the federal government to artificially lower the prices of food domestically and effect the food trade market globally. Now say we do reduce or get rid of the subsidies and corn becomes more expensive to produce as a result. Now the production of high fructose corn syrup becomes considerably more expensive and thus the businesses that make products that involve sugar or sweet products may aim to import more sugar cane. This in turn increases the price of that part of the industry. Corn is also heavily used in animal feed which would increase the price of feed and increase the cost of raising life stock for things such as dairy or meat. In short we will see a large increase in food prices because the government is no longer keeping them artificially low.

You know what would happen under this situation? The libertarians would complain about the increase in food prices and somehow aim to blame the government for this. To me it seems this phase of libertarianism is nothing more the closet Republicans who are experts in the art of complaining and scape goating about things they know little or none about.
Sounds like you don't know your sweet corn from field. Or the great health benefits of high fructose corn syrup, or how that "non-edible" corn is feed to our nations livestock.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:

guess what, if you get rid of the subsidies on corn, then it would be very expensive to put corn into ethanol. the 50% of the corn crop would then go back into food production and make corn cheaper for human consumption.
learn agriculture before making wild claims.

Ethanol Industry Pumps $5B Into MN State Economy - Domestic Fuel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies