Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Conservatives often say liberals are "anti-family". Well, I'm mostly to the left of most liberals, but I do admit, I am anti-family. Once upon a time, the family unit may have served a purpose (as did picking live out of one another's hair and burning dried dung for fuel) but now, it is simply an outdated institution.

Which brings me to the thesis statement: family, in modern times, is a crutch for the weak. Honestly, what is more pathetic than a grown man who still needs his mommy? Granted, family may be necessary for financial obligations, but one could just as easily enter some other agreement devoid of the emotion baggage that comes with family. People may say "I need the love of my family" Well, that right there is the weakness: only the weak need love outside of self love. The true ubermensch is confident within himself/herself and requires no such support. Sorry, but when I hear people crying about their family I can't help but wonder if they'll start crying about their stuffed animal next.

Children need an adult figure in their lives, but why do adults need people whom they share .001% more DNA in common with than someone in another continent? Why not go forward, headstrong, not weighed down by the parasites who brought you into this world?

And also, family is unnatural. Do birds return to the nest after they leave? Do wolves return to their mothers after they learn to hunt and find their own mates? Predators, the higher animals, all abandon their families after they are no longer useful. It is only the herd animals that stay with them. Who wants to be a grazing sheep, requiring the safety of the herd when one could be a snow leopard, alone on the prowl?

And the financial obligations! Why should I support my aging father? Yes, he supported me, but that was him being a sucker. Children never ask to be born. It is all vanity on the part of the parents. It is an investment that will never see a return. Why should anyone feel anything for the people whom went ahead and created them without asking for life?

I intent to work and retire (maybe) at a very old age. With the money I safe having never had children and never given a dime to the parasites who brought me into this world I will have a more than comfortable existence. That is the path of strength: ignoring all ties of family. No need for mommy's shoulder to cry on at age thirty, no need for daddy to pat you on the head for doing a good job at forty. Only one's self to impress and perhaps those whose accomplishments have made them worthy of esteem.

Please note: I am referring to "traditional" family here, not circles of friends or military bands etc whom are often compared to family. Those are adults lending their strengths to a greater cause by free association, not obligations we are allegedly born into. A circle of strong people growing stronger from alliance with one another is one thing...a grown man crying to his mommy because his girlfriend left him is another.
I'm going to assume for a moment that this isn't parody or satire and just respond directly.

So, I'm a grown man who's never received any financial help from my parents since I was 18, and I more or less cut out on my own to play in punk and hardcore bands around the Northeast. I've worked and supported myself completely and totally for the last 11 years.

Regardless of all this, I love my mom and my dad, and my sisters.

Does that make me a weakling? Am I deserving of mocking, snarky jabs because I legitimately and genuinely love other human beings, who incidentally, I am related to? If it makes any difference, I absolutely loathe and have nothing to do with numerous other family members who are greedy leeches and religious ideologues.

I've read your posts and opinions about Seattle and PNW culture versus the culture from your native New Jersey. To be completely blunt - and, you probably won't like hearing this, and will disagree with me wholeheartedly and perhaps in a visceral fashion - many of the things that you say come across as reactionary, immature, and angst-ridden diatribes and edicts that have been formulated in a vacuum. From dissing black people and declaring yourself "no longer black," to lamenting loving other human beings and proudly proclaiming that you don't care about your parents, it seems like you have an axe to grind with "the rest" of society and are trying to assert yourself by saying things that are just as ignorant as the things you have grievances with. Maybe your parents had you because of their own vanity - if so, that sucks. Not everyone was conceived as a result of vanity, or brought up in such an environment. Perhaps this is a tough pill to swallow, and perhaps you've turned your feelings of hurt over this and jealousy towards those who came from what was once a more "ideal" family model to you into a steadfast angst; doesn't mean you're right. Life is not a one-size-fits-all affair, and you of all people should know that.

The irony is that for as much as you decry ignorant, xenophobic, conservative hicks who like to watch "Bass Masters" (IIRC), you come back with the same sort of isolationist, exceptionalist, line-in-the-sand you vs. me aggression that is often a product of a black-and-white mentality.

The attitude that love, sensitivity, nurturing and caring is weak, and that this sort of anti-social, anti-family, all-about-me solipism is "tough" is at best ripped right out of Ayn Randian libertarianism, and at worst, is no different from the sort of shlock you'll hear a couple goons named Vinny and Larry talking about at the tavern off the 'Pike.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 10-06-2012 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'm going to assume for a moment that this isn't parody or satire and just respond directly.

So, I'm a grown man who's never received any financial help from my parents since I was 18, and I more or less cut out on my own to play in punk and hardcore bands around the Northeast. I've worked and supported myself completely and totally for the last 11 years.

Regardless of all this, I love my mom and my dad, and my sisters.

Does that make me a weakling? Am I deserving of mocking, snarky jabs because I legitimately and genuinely love other human beings, who incidentally, I am related to? If it makes any difference, I absolutely loathe and have nothing to do with numerous other family members who are greedy leeches and religious ideologues.
I am not saying anyone is worthy of ridicule. I am simply stating a theses statement: The truly strong need no support from family. Now, that does beg the question: is strength worth it? If one can be weak and happy, is there anything wrong with that if they assume happiness is how they reach existential authenticity? No. Not at all.

If someone was to say "meh, maybe family is for the weak, but I'll take that as a human weakness that helps define me," that would be a solid argument.

Quote:
I've read your posts and opinions about Seattle and PNW culture versus the culture from your native New Jersey. To be completely blunt - and, you probably won't like hearing this, and will disagree with me wholeheartedly and perhaps in a visceral fashion - many of the things that you say come across as reactionary, immature, and angst-ridden diatribes and edicts that have been formulated in a vacuum.
Thank you. The same was said about one of my heroes:

Friedrich Nietzsche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
From dissing black people and declaring yourself "no longer black," to lamenting loving other human beings and proudly proclaiming that you don't care about your parents, it seems like you have an axe to grind with "the rest" of society and are trying to assert yourself by saying things that are just as ignorant as the things you have grievances with.
First, I love African heritage, and last time I checked, Africans were mostly black. I only have a problem with modern black culture. Having issues with a culture is not the same as having issues with a people. Second, I am speaking in reference to self-identity when I say I am not black: I am mixed. Black father, white mother. Please stop coming up with ideas in a vacuum and saying I support said ideas.

Quote:
Maybe your parents had you because of their own vanity - if so, that sucks. Not everyone was conceived as a result of vanity, or brought up in such an environment. Perhaps this is a tough pill to swallow, and perhaps you've turned your feelings of hurt over this and jealousy towards those who came from what was once a more "ideal" family model to you into a steadfast angst; doesn't mean you're right. Life is not a one-size-fits-all affair, and you of all people should know that.
Again, I have nothing against people who choose to love their parents...my lady friend is latched to the hip to her mother. I've talked about how anti-family I am, and her reply is to say "you may have a point, but your Salvia & ACID use could also be called weakness." Now THAT is an answer! Yes, I could be a "Weakling" for using mind altering substances occasionally, but that is something I'll just live with.

Simply put: weakness can be something necessary for one's human experience. Jin has her family, I have my occasional trips to chemical induced Narnia.

It is simply when people refuse to think that I laugh.

Quote:
The irony is that for as much as you decry ignorant, xenophobic, conservative hicks who like to watch "Bass Masters" (IIRC), you come back with the same sort of isolationist, exceptionalist, line-in-the-sand you vs. me aggression that is often a product of a black-and-white mentality.
That is the conflict we all face: individual vs the herd. However, I would NEVER pass any laws against the herd, unlike the right-wing hacks.

Quote:
The attitude that love, sensitivity, nurturing and caring is weak, and that this sort of anti-social, anti-family, all-about-me solipism is "tough" is at best ripped right out of Ayn Randian libertarianism, and at worst, is no different from the sort of shlock you'll hear a couple goons named Vinny and Larry talking about at the tavern off the 'Pike.
Not a big fan of Rand. Nietzsche? Sure. Rand? Not so much. And I NEVER said anything against sensitivity. I only said it should reserved for those whom one feels deserve it, and I don't see how simply being a blood relative means one deserves it.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Again, I have nothing against people who choose to love their parents...my lady friend is latched to the hip to her mother. I've talked about how anti-family I am, and her reply is to say "you may have a point, but your Salvia & ACID use could also be called weakness." Now THAT is an answer! Yes, I could be a "Weakling" for using mind altering substances occasionally, but that is something I'll just live with.

Simply put: weakness can be something necessary for one's human experience. Jin has her family, I have my occasional trips to chemical induced Narnia.
I thought the great philosopher Timothy Leary was dead.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:54 AM

269 posts, read 255,993 times
I disagree family is for the weak in such a broad way, but those who go on and on about "the traditional family unit" are definitely sketchy.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
New thought here. It takes a stronger person to not have a relationship with family. I was thinking about how I spent Christmas and Easter as a single guy totally by myself. Getting through those days with the never ending family structure worship takes a lot of strength. I think a strong person can live without family.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
New thought here. It takes a stronger person to not have a relationship with family. I was thinking about how I spent Christmas and Easter as a single guy totally by myself. Getting through those days with the never ending family structure worship takes a lot of strength. I think a strong person can live without family.
You and thousands of others are not alone. Think of people in the military, overseas that are torn apart. I too recall the bittersweet holidays away from family when on military assignments. You have to be strong, no two ways about it.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM

353 posts, read 905,995 times
OP sounds like a sociopath. These "people" are real and it's not a joke. They are good at mimicking human behavior but they are far from being human. They are a danger to society because they prey on humans. They are usually quite charming and well liked until their true colors come out.

However, they don't like being discovered so maybe OP isn't a sociopath.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
What I rad was either a very bitter perosn or one tryig to con himself .Lonelyness can do that to people.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Conservatives often say liberals are "anti-family". Well, I'm mostly to the left of most liberals, but I do admit, I am anti-family. Once upon a time, the family unit may have served a purpose (as did picking live out of one another's hair and burning dried dung for fuel) but now, it is simply an outdated institution.

Which brings me to the thesis statement: family, in modern times, is a crutch for the weak. Honestly, what is more pathetic than a grown man who still needs his mommy? Granted, family may be necessary for financial obligations, but one could just as easily enter some other agreement devoid of the emotion baggage that comes with family. People may say "I need the love of my family" Well, that right there is the weakness: only the weak need love outside of self love. The true ubermensch is confident within himself/herself and requires no such support. Sorry, but when I hear people crying about their family I can't help but wonder if they'll start crying about their stuffed animal next.

Children need an adult figure in their lives, but why do adults need people whom they share .001% more DNA in common with than someone in another continent? Why not go forward, headstrong, not weighed down by the parasites who brought you into this world?

And also, family is unnatural. Do birds return to the nest after they leave? Do wolves return to their mothers after they learn to hunt and find their own mates? Predators, the higher animals, all abandon their families after they are no longer useful. It is only the herd animals that stay with them. Who wants to be a grazing sheep, requiring the safety of the herd when one could be a snow leopard, alone on the prowl?

And the financial obligations! Why should I support my aging father? Yes, he supported me, but that was him being a sucker. Children never ask to be born. It is all vanity on the part of the parents. It is an investment that will never see a return. Why should anyone feel anything for the people whom went ahead and created them without asking for life?

I intent to work and retire (maybe) at a very old age. With the money I safe having never had children and never given a dime to the parasites who brought me into this world I will have a more than comfortable existence. That is the path of strength: ignoring all ties of family. No need for mommy's shoulder to cry on at age thirty, no need for daddy to pat you on the head for doing a good job at forty. Only one's self to impress and perhaps those whose accomplishments have made them worthy of esteem.

Please note: I am referring to "traditional" family here, not circles of friends or military bands etc whom are often compared to family. Those are adults lending their strengths to a greater cause by free association, not obligations we are allegedly born into. A circle of strong people growing stronger from alliance with one another is one thing...a grown man crying to his mommy because his girlfriend left him is another.
Wow. Not sure if you should be hated or pitied......

Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 PM

491 posts, read 373,275 times
What the OP neglected to say, but I am sure means is that he wants to replace family with big government.

I would say that dependence on big government is the true sign of weakness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies