Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,037,335 times

Advertisements

That's Bull, 1968? a president so disgraced he declined to run for a second term. And a Canidate got killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
i dont understand... when has the republican party stood for abortion and gay marriage? all of a sudden this is the year of "hate?" kind of odd if u ask me
You must be very young. There was a time when Republicans did not give a dam- about personal lives. They knew how to run the bank. They knew how to build and sell cars. They cared about the air we breathe.

I don't know what has happened in the last 30 years. The party was taken over by the religious right, and went down hill from there.

I have friends who worked for Republicans in the statehouse in 2 different states who just shake their heads and wonder, along with me.

Planned Parenthood was supported by Peggy Goldwater, Patricia Nixon, Betty Ford and Barbara Bush. I bet, if asked Laura Bush, too.

A couple of election cycles ago, the Texas Republican Party platform contain a phrase that pretty much said if The Lord laid it on your heart to kill a gay person, it would not be considered a crime. The phrase was removed the next platform.

When we moved back to Dallas in the early 90's, DH attended the local republican convention. When he got home, he told me he thought he had gone back in time 50 years.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
We've survived as a country for almost 300 years without publicly funded contraceptives and abortions and gay marriage, so why are the Democrats pushing this all of a sudden?

Oh yea, it's so they can drive another huge, divisive bloody wedge into the American body politic in their Orwellian quest for total ideological control. ITS TEH WAR ON WOMEN!
I was wondering the other day, after they get this stuff, whats next?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Yea conservatives aren't hateful...look at you picking on an elderly man for calling out what a bunch of scumbag bigoted degenerates the Tea Party are. In his day, lots of normal people were Republicans, now if you are tolerant toward gays and non-Christians, good luck getting elected in the GOP
Dick Cheney supported gay marriage.

And George Bush supported Civil Unions. Same thing, different name.

So do hundreds of other Republican politicians around the country.

And you can't name any policies that Republicans support that hurts non-Christians. None.

Hell, some Republicans will tell you Mormons are non-Christians. But they are still gonna vote for a Mormon.

There are also more elected Latino Republicans than Democrats. And Republicans voted more blacks into office in 2010 elections than the Democrats did. But Dems keep insisting Repubs are racist. LOLs. Tired old lie has run it's course. Nobody but morons believe it.

How you like dem apples?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
i dont understand... when has the republican party stood for abortion and gay marriage? all of a sudden this is the year of "hate?" kind of odd if u ask me
Well, times are changing. For many years, it was okay if you publicly labelled blacks as sub-human and women as too stupid to make good decisions. Those were the social norms of the times.

The sudden dislike of such very conservative ideas of prohibiting abortion and discriminating against homosexuals is simply a sign of a changing demographic in the US along with a shift in understanding principles of freedom and equality.

Thus, it appears that we have reached a tipping point where some want to move us forward and bring all of our society to a common standard, while others want to hold us back and cling that what has always worked and what is non-threatening.

In other words, those who want to move forward see the "others" as anachronistic and, because were are talking about equality (when it comes to homosexuals) and oppression of choice (when it comes to abortion) - two fundamental principles of our society - as bigoted and hateful.

Those who cling to these old ideas often bury themselves behind religious scripture and thus, make their position if less viable in the eyes of the progressives because they fail to understand the diminishing influence of religion (in spite of the constant lamenting of this trend).

Remember, change is a very threatening prospect for most people and the reactions to it can be quite strong.

That, to me, is all we are witnessing here. I doubt it is a new phenomenon - it is simply more public because of our increased "connectedness."

Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Dick Cheney supported gay marriage.

And George Bush supported Civil Unions. Same thing, different name.

So do hundreds of other Republican politicians around the country.
Perhaps. However, the GOP has done precious little to counteract the public perception of the party. In fact, many get the impression that the GOP happily embraces those who strongly oppose these issues. That is, after all, the party line... at least in many people's perception.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Perhaps. However, the GOP has done precious little to counteract the public perception of the party. In fact, many get the impression that the GOP happily embraces those who strongly oppose these issues. That is, after all, the party line... at least in many people's perception.
You mean the Democrats are lying about the GOP. Of course, that's pretty much waht Democrats do. Lie.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Well, times are changing. For many years, it was okay if you publicly labelled blacks as sub-human and women as too stupid to make good decisions. Those were the social norms of the times.

The sudden dislike of such very conservative ideas of prohibiting abortion and discriminating against homosexuals is simply a sign of a changing demographic in the US along with a shift in understanding principles of freedom and equality.

Thus, it appears that we have reached a tipping point where some want to move us forward and bring all of our society to a common standard, while others want to hold us back and cling that what has always worked and what is non-threatening.

In other words, those who want to move forward see the "others" as anachronistic and, because were are talking about equality (when it comes to homosexuals) and oppression of choice (when it comes to abortion) - two fundamental principles of our society - as bigoted and hateful.

Those who cling to these old ideas often bury themselves behind religious scripture and thus, make their position if less viable in the eyes of the progressives because they fail to understand the diminishing influence of religion (in spite of the constant lamenting of this trend).

Remember, change is a very threatening prospect for most people and the reactions to it can be quite strong.

That, to me, is all we are witnessing here. I doubt it is a new phenomenon - it is simply more public because of our increased "connectedness."
So it's bigoted and hateful for wanting to give someone the chance at life? Wow.

I think it's bigoted and hateful for snuffing out a life and calling it "freedom of choice". And you might want to look at polls. The majority of American oppose abortion these days.

No need to worry though. As long as Republican laemakers have teenage daughters and granddaughters then women will have every right to kill people.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Hate is the singular thread that holds the GOP fabric together. Besides hate and demonization of certain groups in America, the GOP has nothing to offer its constituents... absolutely nothing.
Rubbish. And ironically, you have such a problem with perceived "hate" yet seem to harbor a lot of hate for certain groups of people (e.g. Rebublicans) yourself. If you didn't, you wouldn't need to keep making this stuff up and go to such lengths to try to make them all look bad.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I have considered the Republcan Party platform and I does not offer anything I would consider worth my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies