Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:13 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,233,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
My Dad and his bro in law were doing their best to put bullets in the heads of ToJo and Hitler. They would have gone for Mussolini, but FDR was running late, and Mussolini's own people strung him upside down first..

Then of course we have a slew of Russians and Chinese, not to mention those silly cute looking N Koreans.
You seem to missed where I said that Julius Caesar was the last of the TRUE dictators. He wasn't a tyrant when he was in power and if you researched into who he was and what he did and exactly why he was assassinated, you'd understand my statement.

The term dictator has been warped and twisted beyond it's original usage. I'm not taking anything away from your father or brother-in-law (I commend them actually), just clarifying that while Mussolini, Hitler, etc, etc, were indeed dictators in their own right, they weren't the original definition of the label. Caesar was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 04:26 PM

30,111 posts, read 18,720,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
You people are all so out in left field that it's sad.
Dictators are not elected and put up for reelection in free and fair elections. Obama was. And Obama will be reelected in one unless a miracle happens for Romney (or an even bigger miracle for my choice Gary Johnson).

The whole "Obama is a dictator" nonsense is cut from the same racist cloth as the "Obama is a Muslim", "Obama is a Terrorist", "Obama didn't really graduate college" and the rest of that BS.

If you people were so concerned with dictatorship, where the F were you during the USA PATRIOT Act nonsense, the post-9/11 removal of rights and the rest of that stuff? Oh yeah, it was a white man doing it, so you were okay with it.

If Obama was a dictator, don't you think he would have just ignored the GOP and just decreed everything? Seriously, you people need help.

Give me a break.

Ummm................... how do you think that Chavez, Hitler, and Mussolini got into power? They called those elections. Remember when they used to have fake election in the USSR and the eastern block nations?

I would not be surprised at all to see some voting shenanigans to keep Barack the First in power. Already we have fake polls showing Obama ahead, when local polls with far greater numbers evaluated show him losing handily.

Obama is the greatest threat to freedom the US has faced in its history. At least the south was promoting a representative, yet separate government, and the Japanese and Germans never really had a chance. A vote for Obama is a vote for a bigger, more oppressive government and a sacrifice of personal liberty in deference to the state.

Wake up- smaller government (we need SOME government) means more freedom. Please, again, don't post the Somalia video in which there is no government and suggest that this is conservative paradise. I have seen it a dozen times or so already.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,805,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Well, I don't disagree with anything you've written. However, how is he any different, then, than nearly every President in the last half-century?
I do not recall reading about Bush or Clinton becoming dictators, nor do I read about Romney potentially becoming one. Why Obama?
He isn't any different... in fact he's getting away with more bad policy than any past president ever could. He's taken the presidential end-around of congress to an entirely new level. When is the last time a budget wasn't passed for four years?

For those who can't pass up on this opportunity to blame republicans:

After Obama submitted his fiscal year 2013 budget proposal on Feb. 13, 2012, House Republicans put it up for a floor vote.

The result: 414-0 against. <<those aren't just Republicans

The same thing happened a year earlier in the Senate. That vote: 97-0 against. Democrats didn’t support the plan. <<<again, a Democrat majority

Prior timeline:
April 29, 2009The last time the Democrat-led Senate adopted a budget resolution. Also the last time the Majority brought a budget plan to the floor.
April 22, 2010The Budget Committee completes action on a mark-up and reports a budget out of committee, but the Democrat majority chooses to keep its own plan from being offered on the Senate floor. This is the last time the Majority conducted a legally required markup.
May 17, 2011 – Despite missing the statutory deadline for a budget to be passed out of the Budget Committee, Chairman Conrad delays the unveiling of his budget for FY 2012, announcing that “I’ll say something later — not today, probably… There are a lot of conversations under way.”
April 15The Republican-controlled House of Representatives passes its budget for FY 2012, which cuts $6 trillion in comparison to the president’s budget.
May 18Majority Leader Reid says it would be “foolish” for Senate Democrats to offer a budget.
May 19 – Chairman Conrad cancels a planned committee mark-up, announcing he will not reveal a budget to the public until after such time as the Gang of Six produces a proposal.
May 25The Senate rejects President Obama’s FY 2012 budget by a vote of 0-97.
May 23 – Senator Schumer, when asked why there is no alternative to the House-passed budget, answers, “To put other budgets out there is not the point.”
June 7 – Even some Senate Democrats become anxious about their party’s lack of a budget.
June 29 – Chairman Conrad tells Politico, “Senate Democrats have reached an agreement on a plan — just now — and we’ll be putting that out sometime soon.” (Note: the plan was never made public, but a leaked outline revealed that it contained as many as $2 in tax hikes for $1 in spending cuts.)
November 9 – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi claims that Democrats didn’t pass a budget when they controlled both chambers of Congress because “Republicans would have filibustered it,” but as she should know, budget resolutions can’t be filibustered.
January 24, 2012 – President Obama delivers a State of the Union address that falls on the 1,000th day since Senate Democrats offered a budget plan. Although the president focuses much of his criticism on “the way Congress does its business these days,” he neglects to mention Senate Democrats’ budget failures.
February 3 – Days after Chairman Conrad promised to hold a budget mark-up in committee, Majority Leader Reid declares that the Senate would not consider a budget for the third straight year.
February 12 – Current White House chief of staff (and former OMB director) Jack Lew falsely claims that budget resolutions require 60 votes to pass the Senate.
March 14 – Every Republican on the Budget Committee reminds Chairman Conrad that the Congressional Budget Act deadline for passing a budget out of committee is April 1.
March 29The Republican-led House passes a budget for FY 2013.
April 17 – Chairman Conrad cancels the scheduled Budget Committee mark-up for the second year in a row, a move that the New York Times reported “surprised Republicans and Democrats, who were expecting him to produce a Democratic budget that, if passed by the committee, would have been the first detailed deficit reduction plan in three years.”
April 29 – Three years pass since Senate Democrats adopted a budget.
May 10 – Treasury Department figures show that the nation has spent $10.6 trillion since the Senate’s Democrat majority last passed a budget.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,805,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You must be a racist to think that Obama's skin is offensive to people.
People who focus on race as the primary issue, the ones who always cry racist, tend to be the biggest racists.

For those of us who are truly racially colorblind, we only see different shades of brown.

True story: I turned a brown brother onto some gas this morning. A perfect stranger. When he asked how much I wanted, I said nothing man, it's on the house. I know what it's like to run out of gas two miles from a station. He thanked me and went on his way. An hour later the brother showed up with twice the gas I gave him, and a basket full of vegetables.

When you give freely, asking for nothing in return, you are generally rewarded for the effort.

My point is, I saw a man in need, not a brother of a different color... just a different shade of the same color.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,161,766 times
If you use loaded words like dictator and Nazi they cease to have meaning.

As for Obama being a dictator, let me know if he doesn't step down after a second term. It seems like it is kinda rare for dictators to just step down of their own volition.

I think anyone who makes statements like "Obama is a dictator", or "Bush was the Führer" isn't very bright. There are plenty of things that one can condemn with any presidency. So given this, why do we need these cheap labels?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,995,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You seem to missed where I said that Julius Caesar was the last of the TRUE dictators. He wasn't a tyrant when he was in power and if you researched into who he was and what he did and exactly why he was assassinated, you'd understand my statement.

The term dictator has been warped and twisted beyond it's original usage. I'm not taking anything away from your father or brother-in-law (I commend them actually), just clarifying that while Mussolini, Hitler, etc, etc, were indeed dictators in their own right, they weren't the original definition of the label. Caesar was.
I have read of Caesar, his Euro campaigns and etc, but he is so remote, that your post made me confused.

IMO Caesar was a good commander, and there in person.... The way I see it as to the how he was killed, is he is was a lot like things are now, where trust can't even be earned because of so much corruption in high places. Just my opinion..

Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
If you use loaded words like dictator and Nazi they cease to have meaning.

As for Obama being a dictator, let me know if he doesn't step down after a second term. It seems like it is kinda rare for dictators to just step down of their own volition.

I think anyone who makes statements like "Obama is a dictator", or "Bush was the Führer" isn't very bright. There are plenty of things that one can condemn with any presidency. So given this, why do we need these cheap labels?
Clinton was really close to asking for a 3rd term, until he blew it.... There was something about Clinton and he could have asked congress to eat coal and chit out diamonds and congress would have tried.

I even voted for him the first time, but he was dead and gone by the 2nd time around to me. That first time i thought OH what a breath of fresh air. But that soon turned to stink...

Kinda like when i used to drink a lot, and dated at the same time. What i bought home at night wasn't what i woke up next to in the morning.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
People who focus on race as the primary issue, the ones who always cry racist, tend to be the biggest racists.

For those of us who are truly racially colorblind, we only see different shades of brown.

True story: I turned a brown brother onto some gas this morning. A perfect stranger. When he asked how much I wanted, I said nothing man, it's on the house. I know what it's like to run out of gas two miles from a station. He thanked me and went on his way. An hour later the brother showed up with twice the gas I gave him, and a basket full of vegetables.

When you give freely, asking for nothing in return, you are generally rewarded for the effort.

My point is, I saw a man in need, not a brother of a different color... just a different shade of the same color.
OT:
Good for you.... I do like things all the time myself. So far i have never left a stranded motorist stranded. Most of them I get up and running again and if not i wait for a wrecker to come and them to be headed someplace safe.

Couple years ago Aug 9th 2010 I rear ended a jeep on my bike that hit a moose... 2 guys were fine, and all 4 of us were really lucky, but the jeep was dead. The state cops were just going to leave these 2 guys in the boonies because they didn't speak english!

So after borrowing a claw hammer to peel up my ft fender I talked the cops into bring these 2 guys back to my home. Then we sorted out what they wanted to do..

Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,960,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes-

1. Fast and Furious with false flag attempts
2. ignoring federal immigration law
3. graning "amnesty" to the children of illegals
3. increased civilian surveilance via drones
4. increased civilian surveilance via Patriot Act
5. Subverting congressional/senate approval of law and declaring Obamacare "deemed passed"
6. Obamacare- forcing citizens to buy something they do not want
7. suggestion of developing a "citizen's army"
8. ignoring federal law in Corzinne case
9. empowering the EPA as an entity to act outside of congressional approval
10. more and more "czars" who are not elected officials
You covered it pretty well
This makes me

All of this is so unAmerican why can't people see the road we are heading down.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,233,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I have read of Caesar, his Euro campaigns and etc, but he is so remote, that your post made me confused.

IMO Caesar was a good commander, and there in person.... The way I see it as to the how he was killed, is he is was a lot like things are now, where trust can't even be earned because of so much corruption in high places. Just my opinion.
That's all fine and well. I am only pointing out that Caesar was the last *true* dictator in world history.

These other fools who claim to be as such have warped and twisted the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies