Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Male friendships that could have developed were stunted, and today most men don't have any friendships deeper than grunting over beer and football.
How sad that you think that way.

And now for a counter-anecdote: A friend of mine was in a gay bar in the Castro yesterday and posted a Facebook message saying that not only was there a group of uniformed sailors in there (it's Fleet Week), but that only one of them was gay -- his straight buddies were just there to support him.

Now that's friendship.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
It's hardly homophobic to believe in traditional marriage.
How do two people that love each other threaten your own relationship? It hasn't threatened mine and I've been happily married for almost 17 years now. Gee, even my kid was conceived prior to marriage (oh the horror!) and it still has nothing to do with you..my kid is doing very well and is quite happy living in a stable and happy home.

Believe what you want, just don't expect others to believe exactly as you or not allow others to pursue happiness in their own lives. If your reasons are bible based or some other religious doctrine, then okay--but you can't force everyone to have those beliefs either since I am quite sure that we have freedom of religion (or non religion) in this country. It's pretty simple and there's really no legitimate debate to discuss. Discrimination of any kind must be stamped out!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
How big of you.

I have a better idea: Let's maintain the status quo and keep your minority religious beliefs out of my bedroom. In exchange, I'll let your church keep its special rights (to avoid taxation, etc.). Does that sound like a good deal to you?
The status quo is unacceptable, but I'm open to compromise. Howabout you and your tribe keep California's coastal paradise to yourselves, and give the rest of us California's interior. You have your laws, we have ours - and you will make a fortune from our summer vacations.

Deal?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
How sad that you think that way.

And now for a counter-anecdote: A friend of mine was in a gay bar in the Castro yesterday and posted a Facebook message saying that not only was there a group of uniformed sailors in there (it's Fleet Week), but that only one of them was gay -- his straight buddies were just there to support him.

Now that's friendship.
That's not friendship at all, quite the contrary:

Nine Ways of Being Accessory to Another’s Sin
  1. By counsel
  2. By command
  3. By consent
  4. By provocation
  5. By praise or flattery
  6. By concealment
  7. By partaking
  8. By silence
  9. By defense of the ill done

Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
That's not friendship at all, quite the contrary:

Nine Ways of Being Accessory to Another’s Sin
  1. By counsel
  2. By command
  3. By consent
  4. By provocation
  5. By praise or flattery
  6. By concealment
  7. By partaking
  8. By silence
  9. By defense of the ill done
Being in a gay bar is a sin?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Way back in the late 70s and early 80s, when I was in public school, what Dr. Esolen describes here was already coming true:

"The effect upon boys is devastating; it is hard for women to understand it. Their own friendships come easily, and in general are not based upon shared conquest, physical or intellectual. It is simply an anthropological fact that male friendship is essential for the full development of the boy’s intellect: the history of every society reveals it. But now the boys suffer under a terrible pincers attack. The sexual revolution causes them to rouse themselves to interest, or to pretend to interest, in girls long before they or the girls are emotionally or intellectually ready for it; and now the condonement of homosexuality prevents them from publicly preferring the company of their own sex. This is simply inarguable…."

Normal, heterosexual boys who preferred the company of other boys were taunted as "queers" and "*******", and essentially pressured into proving their manhood by becoming popular with the girls and having sex with as many of them as possible. Male friendships that could have developed were stunted, and today most men don't have any friendships deeper than grunting over beer and football.
Strange. Where I lived back then and where I live now, boys playing together one-on-one or in groups and the same for girls has always seemed very normal and comments were/are few and only from the ignorant. What worse, here men hunt and fish together, go camping in small groups, ride their ATVs together, etc.

Don't know where you were brought up but maybe you should have a talk with your parents about the unhealthy atmosphere in which you were raised.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Only if you buy a drink which helps support it.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Don't know where you were brought up but maybe you should have a talk with your parents about the unhealthy atmosphere in which you were raised.
Brought up right here in California.

The rot is everywhere, but what you describe still exists in many rural communities in the state. We'll see how long that lasts with SB-48 and all the rest of it.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
For homosexual men, absolutely. Just like it's a sin for straight men to be in a strip joint.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
For homosexual men, absolutely. Just like it's a sin for straight men to be in a strip joint.
Then I suggest you devote a proportional amount of energy to banning t**ty bars, since there are so very many more of them in California.

Or do you perhaps not think that idea would go over so well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies