Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Who pays for older people to do what? Thats what medicare is for..

I didnt have a problem with it either, most people only need catastrophic care, but thanks to Obamacare, I'll have no insurance next year.
I understand that is what Medicare is for. So you are okay with people paying taxes (e.g. Payroll Tax) to fund it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,556 times
I know one couple, with one child, 3 single males and about 7 single women with no HI.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The numbers are low. I had hip surgery last December, less than a year ago. The hospital bill alone was $76K for three days (including OR services). I don't know how many people have that kind of money lying around in a shoebox, or even in some sort of investment where they can get at it in short order.

I work in a dr's office (pediatrics). We get patients with no ins. Some are uninsured b/c they are of modest means and don't have employer sponsored ins, some have made a choice not to be insured. Some of our docs won't give discounts to those who have simply chosen to "go bare". We do try to help the others. One thing I have noticed is that many w/o ins. do not want to bring their kids in, even when we recommend it.
The numbers are NOT low.. $300 a month x 12 months in a year x 10 years = $36,000 + interest. And since these trusts invest in receivables, that bring in cash, In 10 years you'll have $50K saved up + about $25K in assets.. With $50K catastrophic care, the insurance company would pickup $26K of your bill, and you'd have the balance and you'd still have $25K extra.

Most people dont need day to day care. Its beyond stupid to pay $300 a month to cover your $100 a year routine doctor visits..

Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I understand that is what Medicare is for. So you are okay with people paying taxes (e.g. Payroll Tax) to fund it?
Why wouldnt I?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why wouldnt I?
I don't know? A lot of people on here seem to have a problem with taxpayer funded health care and with the idea that you are required to pay those taxes. Many seem to feel that they should not have to pay for others.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't know? A lot of people on here seem to have a problem with taxpayer funded health care and with the idea that you are required to pay those taxes. Many seem to feel that they should not have to pay for others.
No, most people have a problem with 100% government healthcare, not a safety net for those who are too poor.

There is a huge difference.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:03 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,994 times
I don't have any. My husband's insurance through his employer is just pathetic & useless ( basically it covers roughly 20-50% of hospitalization, ER, doctor visits,tests....really???) , and since it is of no help at all, we recently cancelled it. We just couldn't afford the monthly cost since I don't work in order to be here for our child with cerebral palsy. I remember the days as a single mom when I paid $5 a paycheck for myself and my 2 children, with excellant coverage... ahhh, the good ol' Clinton days.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:14 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
is it the responsibility of your aunt and older brother's next door neighbors to provide for their health insurance?
if you say no, then how can you expect the goverment to provide for their health insurance?

there is no responsibility of goverment to provide for health insurance, none at all.
I personally do see it as a responsibility of all citizens to provide for the general welfare of all. I don't expect the government to provide for my aunt's care or my the system is set up currently.

But as an independent who leans left, my left lean is healthcare. I feel all Americans should have free healthcare, at least a B level, which was mentioned by another poster and an option to pay to upgrade that service but that everyone should have an equal playing field when it comes to healthcare in this country.

My aunt who makes $11K per year is a hard worker. As is my brother. I don't feel healthcare should depend on whether or not you have a job or how much money you make. I don't put a dollar value on life or health, which is the major difference that we must share. For me it is not about responsibility in regards to finances, it is about making sure my fellow Americans are healthy and can be productive citizens of this country. To me, healthcare (and education as those are both my left issue, though I support school choice, which is more right leaning) are equalizers in our society. One cannot complain about a lack of anything when they are educated and are in good health. If they have both of these items, then they can go out and do what needs to be done to secure material possessions, whatever quality of life they want to have, and adequate housing. But that is just my opinion.

I take the "general welfare" to mean that, the welfare of the citizens of this country. People cannot have a stable general welfare without adequate access to healthcare.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I take the "general welfare" to mean that, the welfare of the citizens of this country. People cannot have a stable general welfare without adequate access to healthcare.
Then you seriously need to re-read the Constitution, because the general welfare equates to the general interest of the GOVERNMENT, not the people.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Yup - stage IV lymphoma at 23 here. The only thing I could have done to prevent it is avoiding coming in contact with someone with mono in elementary school. How dare I want to live when I put myself at risk! I should also note that there is absolutely no history of cancer in my family. One great aunt had colon cancer in her 80s, another half-great aunt had cervical cancer in her 50s. If I was to put money on it, I would never have been someone to get cancer EVER, much less at 23.
oh please

stage 4 mean it has spead, and is TERMINAL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies