Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 12:35 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that went without insurance for decades because she and her husband could not afford it. Then he was diagnosed with some expensive disease but was killed by a heart attack before the treatment started. Since "Obamacare" she has affordable health insurance.

IMHO - Obamacare is just a subsidy for the health insurance companies. They are no longer needed as the government can do the paperwork far less expensively and private health insurance is an unaffordable luxury. We should have a government sponsored universal health care system without private sector involvement in order to save money. When was the last time you heard of a government executive making millions a year in salary and bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I recently found out that my sister and her husband have no health insurance. I couldn't believe it to be honest.

Her husband was a mechanic for Northwest Airlines until he got laid off with all the restructuring. He is working for a contractor now inspecting planes for far less money and no benefits.

My sister has not been able to get a good enough job that provides insurance for the family.

So they get by without insurance and my sister just says "we can't afford it so our health is in God's hands"

These are good people, their only fault is they aren't good with money at all. They could be broke but if you needed food they would give you what they have. They are just good hearted folks without a desire for money or success. But they are hard workers. When my sister isn't working at one of her crappy part time jobs she is working at a homeless shelter in St Paul.

I know my republican friends on this forum are against help for these kinds of people and to be honest, my sister and husband are not asking for anyone's help. My brother in law is a republican, always has been even through all his troubles. He still says his health is not anyone else's problem. He cannot afford $1000 per month for a policy and he says he does not expect anyone else to pay it so I guess he's willing to die if he gets sick.

I just think this entire situation is sad. I think if you believe this country should not be providing a basic health policy for every citizen you just aren't seeing the big picture.

Thanks for reading.
My family and I do not have health insurance and we are not going to die from it! LOL! That is a very stupid scare tactic from those who want to force people to purchase something from a private company. I have pre-existing conditions, and I go to see a doctor when I need to. There are lots of ways someone without insurance can go see a doctor and they don't have to go to the emergency room either! Depending on the funds you have available there are doctors that take patients without insurance and they take cash. I can get all my lab work done paying cash, xrays, ultrasounds... everyone takes cash or credit cards (but I prefer cash). I spend a lot less per month/ or year on medical visits by paying cash than I would if we bought a health insurance plan.

Not having health insurance does not kill people! Stop worrying and mind your own business.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,128,667 times
LOL - Explain to me how health insurance is a Republican or Democrat issue? The real shame here is how much medical procedures cost.... period.

My wife just had spine surgery. $22,500 in an outpatient setting. We don't have insurance and insurance wouldn't have covered it anyhow. You had to pay before they would do the procedure. It was a flat fee. We did not get charges for each and every bandaid, stitch, medicine, etc. They even included lunch, physical therapy DVD and a 24 hour staffed hotline should we need to call. This place does tons of spinal surgeries each year, people fly in from around the country to have it performed by the capable staff. I think $22,500 is still ridiculous, but a similar procedure in a hospital would have cost significantly more with inferior care. Along with a bill for each pain killer, bandaid and shot itemized out at a ridiculous markup.

Explain to me how if I self pay at an urgent care place, I pay about $89 for the visit, but when I had insurance they were bill $200+. It's all sham. I blame Big Pharma, Special Interest Groups and Insurance Company Lobbyists.

Heck, I've hear there is going to be a shortage of doctor's in the next couple decades because it is no longer a lucrative career for how much debt and how long it takes to become a doc. Malpractice insurance makes it too expensive to have your own private practice, so instead they work for these large medical groups for less pay. Supposed being an ARNP is where it's at these days. They go through a lot less school, do the same tasks most MDs do at family practices and get paid nearly the same.

So.... why are medical costs going up? Because they're making more profit now than ever before off of our misery and pain.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
I'll soon have no health insurance thanks to Obamacare, which bans catastrophic insurance coverage.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Explain to me how if I self pay at an urgent care place, I pay about $89 for the visit, but when I had insurance they were bill $200+. It's all sham. I blame Big Pharma, Special Interest Groups and Insurance Company Lobbyists.
Because insurance comppanies dont pay whats billed, they pay what the government says should be paid.. Its a UCR or ICD10 rates.

They could bill $10,000 but if the billable rate is $10, thats all that gets paid..

And since the government pays so many medicare and medicaid bills, the government has an incentive to keep the reinbursement rates low, which is causing the doctors, hospitals etc with financial issues.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Since "Obamacare" she has affordable health insurance.
Really?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
This is the way the GOP wants the rest of the Nation to be. I too am in this enemy country for Dem's called SC. What a sham this place is. Plenty of people without HC,decent food or shelter,yet romney will win it no matter what.

Case in point. I saw a single wide mobile home with the underneath exposed. It leaned back making the front raise higher so all the pipes were visible. The steps are crooked and weak looking. The newest things on the property....
a huge rebel flag and..........two romney yard signs With stupid racist like that family out numbering everyone else,how can we get a better quality of life.
But reading minds want to know did they have the latest Samsung flat screen their single wide? That's right the tapped their Samsung budget on the Iphone 5.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I recently found out that my sister and her husband have no health insurance. I couldn't believe it to be honest.

Her husband was a mechanic for Northwest Airlines until he got laid off with all the restructuring. He is working for a contractor now inspecting planes for far less money and no benefits.

My sister has not been able to get a good enough job that provides insurance for the family.

So they get by without insurance and my sister just says "we can't afford it so our health is in God's hands"

These are good people, their only fault is they aren't good with money at all. They could be broke but if you needed food they would give you what they have. They are just good hearted folks without a desire for money or success. But they are hard workers. When my sister isn't working at one of her crappy part time jobs she is working at a homeless shelter in St Paul.

I know my republican friends on this forum are against help for these kinds of people and to be honest, my sister and husband are not asking for anyone's help. My brother in law is a republican, always has been even through all his troubles. He still says his health is not anyone else's problem. He cannot afford $1000 per month for a policy and he says he does not expect anyone else to pay it so I guess he's willing to die if he gets sick.

I just think this entire situation is sad. I think if you believe this country should not be providing a basic health policy for every citizen you just aren't seeing the big picture.

Thanks for reading.

lots of healthy people CHOOSE to not have health insurance

why would a healthy person who only goes to the doctor once a year for a check up that costs less than $200, want to spend 300-400 a month (or a lot more) for an insurance

insurance is a rip off

Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
lots of healthy people CHOOSE to not have health insurance

why would a healthy person who only goes to the doctor once a year for a check up that costs less than $200, want to spend 300-400 a month (or a lot more) for an insurance

insurance is a rip off
Because $300 a month is nothing in comparison to cancer. You're healthy until you're not - just because you're healthy today does not mean you won't get hit by a car or have a heart attack or be diagnosed with cancer tomorrow - all of which can amount to bills in the hundreds of thousands.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
LOL - Explain to me how health insurance is a Republican or Democrat issue? The real shame here is how much medical procedures cost.... period.

My wife just had spine surgery. $22,500 in an outpatient setting. We don't have insurance and insurance wouldn't have covered it anyhow. You had to pay before they would do the procedure. It was a flat fee. We did not get charges for each and every bandaid, stitch, medicine, etc. They even included lunch, physical therapy DVD and a 24 hour staffed hotline should we need to call. This place does tons of spinal surgeries each year, people fly in from around the country to have it performed by the capable staff. I think $22,500 is still ridiculous, but a similar procedure in a hospital would have cost significantly more with inferior care. Along with a bill for each pain killer, bandaid and shot itemized out at a ridiculous markup.

Heck, I've hear there is going to be a shortage of doctor's in the next couple decades because it is no longer a lucrative career for how much debt and how long it takes to become a doc. Malpractice insurance makes it too expensive to have your own private practice, so instead they work for these large medical groups for less pay. Supposed being an ARNP is where it's at these days. They go through a lot less school, do the same tasks most MDs do at family practices and get paid nearly the same.

So.... why are medical costs going up? Because they're making more profit now than ever before off of our misery and pain.
because EVERYTHING is going up

when your doctor charges you $100...its not $100 going into his pocket

he/she still has to pay rent/lease/mortgage
still has to pay an electric bill
still has to pay for supplies
still has to pay THE NURSE/RECEPTIONIST/RECORDS KEEPER
still has to pay for that mri/xray machine (equipment) etc

and you are not going to lower THOSE costs by the government or insuance especially if what the goverment pays doesnt cover that overhead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies