Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Who is asking you to? You do know that if you already have health insurance the mandate will have no effect on you, right?
Government health insurance is paid for by the TAXPAYERS.... that includes me. So yes, Obama is asking me to pay for my health insurance plus the health insurance for other people.

And yes, the mandate will have a huge negative impact on me. It's already increasing health insurance rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
My girlfriend is in grad school full-time and has no health insurance. Mine is covered by my work, but to add her to the coverage it would be $200 a paycheck ($4800 a year), which is absolute insanity for something which you may or may not ever need.

Health Insurance is a gigantic scam, like all insurance. Those who need it are never covered, and those who don't pay out the nose for the honor of being able to carry around a card that says "Aetna" on it. I've not used my health insurance for 6 years, though I've paid $50 a paycheck for it that whole time, that's $7,200 I've thrown in the toilet for that "just in case" moment. What a scam.

If you factor in my car insurance, I've thrown away $15,000 in the past 6 years on insurance that I haven't used once. That's insane and a clear example of how idiotic it is to have Insurance as a for-profit business.

You obviously don't understand the concept of insurance. Insurance does not change the cost of services. It just distributes the costs among the participants. So for everyone who pays in more than they get out (like you), there are others who get out more than they pay in.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Government should not provide health insurance for anybody and that's the big picture.
Not even seniors?

If you ran an insurance company, would you insure any seniors or would you reason -- quite rightly -- that they cost too much?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Insurance of all kinds are just scams. I wish the governmment would take over car insurance as well. What a f&**($ rip off that is
So government insurance is not a scam but private insurance is? That's a laugh.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I agree 100%. There should be no profit in insurance, It's bad for society IMO
That is one of the problems but is not the only one.

Quite a lot of the larger corporations - including the one I worked for - are self-insured and operate as a not-for-profit. They just pay people like Aetna and Cigna a fee to administer their plans.

So you could certainly take some cost out by attacking for-profit insurance. But the single biggest cost problem is the fragmentation of the health care industry and how treatment is paid for. That is what causes 25% of all health care dollars to be spent on administration. Because the complexity of dealing with multiple insurance companies, multiple government schemes and multiple rates within all of those costs a small fortune. There are some hospitals that have as many billing clerks as they have beds

Old 10-12-2012, 05:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I recently found out that my sister and her husband have no health insurance. I couldn't believe it to be honest.

Her husband was a mechanic for Northwest Airlines until he got laid off with all the restructuring. He is working for a contractor now inspecting planes for far less money and no benefits.

My sister has not been able to get a good enough job that provides insurance for the family.

So they get by without insurance and my sister just says "we can't afford it so our health is in God's hands"

These are good people, their only fault is they aren't good with money at all. They could be broke but if you needed food they would give you what they have. They are just good hearted folks without a desire for money or success. But they are hard workers. When my sister isn't working at one of her crappy part time jobs she is working at a homeless shelter in St Paul.

I know my republican friends on this forum are against help for these kinds of people and to be honest, my sister and husband are not asking for anyone's help. My brother in law is a republican, always has been even through all his troubles. He still says his health is not anyone else's problem. He cannot afford $1000 per month for a policy and he says he does not expect anyone else to pay it so I guess he's willing to die if he gets sick.

I just think this entire situation is sad. I think if you believe this country should not be providing a basic health policy for every citizen you just aren't seeing the big picture.

Thanks for reading.

I know quite a few people without health insurance, and they dont want it either. to them health insurance is an invasion of their privacy and they dont like that at all. they also shop around for the cheapest doctors to provide for the service them if needed.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:14 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So government insurance is not a scam but private insurance is? That's a laugh.
Privatetize everything so greedy republicans can lace their pockets. Thats what the end game is

Old 10-12-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Not even seniors?

If you ran an insurance company, would you insure any seniors or would you reason -- quite rightly -- that they cost too much?
If we didn't have government in the health insurance business the world would be totally different. Government mandates in some states add more than 50% to the cost of health insurance.

Insurance companies do insure seniors.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:16 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
That pisses me off. They are greedy.. not sad
I will not judge as you just have. Without walking in a onwer's shoes and know what their business finances are like, how can i judge.

Without knowing the whole sccop of a small business, i cannot judge.

Do you realize some businesses are barely afloat right now, that ain't no lie, that you should even know.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Privatetize everything so greedy republicans can lace their pockets. Thats what the end game is
Get government out of health insurance and let the markets provide services. And yes, keep the greedy Democrats out of my wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies