Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times

Advertisements

I know a few and I'm going to know a hell of a lot more when it becomes cheaper to not carry it until you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
I will have health insurance until my husband is old enough for social security then I will have zero coverage and I have an auto immuneliver disease that cannot be cured so in 3 years I am without health insurance or the medication I take daily and there is not a dang thing I can do about it unless I apply to and get approved for disability or I get old enough for social security and medicare.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell030681 View Post
Yes, it's very depressing those of us who can't afford health care. One is that it is tooooooo high a premium to pay and employer doesn't help when you make small wages and premium leaves you nothing to bring home to pay rent and essentials with. I'm without and don't intend on getting health care if it is taking more than 1/2 my paycheck. It's stupid that the companies can rip people off. Not that I'm expecting miracles with the new government but I just don't go to doctors and hospitals. I pray I don't get sick or in an accident in the meantime. I hate being in this situation but if someone can offer affordable insurance, I'll jump on it.
I'm with you on this. I'm self-employed and was priced out of the market when premiums just kept going up, up, up every six months, even though I am healthy, have no preexisting conditions and have never made a claim. It finally got to the place where I simply couldn't afford it any longer, though I sacrificed and did without a lot of other things for a long time in an effort to hang onto it. I've been without insurance now for six years, and like you, I pray I don't get sick or have an accident, as with the cost of healthcare these days, one hospitalization could wipe me out pretty quickly.

I have no problem with the ACA mandate, as it will give me and many others like me access to insurance we can afford. Anyone who hasn't found themselves in this position has no idea how scary it can be to be without insurance.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:06 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla151 View Post
I know many people without health insurance. All are self employed hard working people who can't afford the premiums. It's sad their wages have not kept up that most of them have had to drop their insurance. My family is self employed as well. Up until 6 or 7 years ago it was affordable. Then increase started coming in $1200 increase a year. We went from $4000 up to $12,000 in that time. This is just for hospitalization..not dr visits. When the increases kept coming we also thought we would either go out of business, have to drop insurance or take from retirement funds because the recession started and money wasn't coming in. A friend who had good health insurance about 6 years ago had to start contributing more and more to her employer paid insurance. Eventually she reached $900 a month to pay for her family to be on the policy. Last year the company changed insurance companies now they have to pay 20% of any bill. Her husband just had gall bladder surgery..... $14,000 they owe. They are selling things they own hoping to get some money and hope paying $100 a month will keep the dr and hospital happy. He is 64 and hoping no other illness hits before he can retire. His wife has already been treated for cancer she still has 8 years before she can go on medicare.
This is a tragedy. In this country that this could be happening. There is so much waste and fat they could cut from the health care industry. My next door neighbors are both in Pharma sales. They make big money. He once boasted to me that neither one of them has had to buy a gallon of gasoline in 15 years. All on the company credit card. They have a big GMC pickup they pull a big camper around with. This is only a small sample, imagine the greed and corruption up the ladder.

The entire medical industry should be non-profit. There are plenty of other ways to get rich in this country.

Without our health we have NOTHING.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is a tragedy. In this country that this could be happening. There is so much waste and fat they could cut from the health care industry. My next door neighbors are both in Pharma sales. They make big money. He once boasted to me that neither one of them has had to buy a gallon of gasoline in 15 years. All on the company credit card. They have a big GMC pickup they pull a big camper around with. This is only a small sample, imagine the greed and corruption up the ladder.

The entire medical industry should be non-profit. There are plenty of other ways to get rich in this country.

Without our health we have NOTHING.
So in other words you are jealous they are better off then you, and so you want them to make less... pathetic.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:13 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I'm with you on this. I'm self-employed and was priced out of the market when premiums just kept going up, up, up every six months, even though I am healthy, have no preexisting conditions and have never made a claim. It finally got to the place where I simply couldn't afford it any longer, though I sacrificed and did without a lot of other things for a long time in an effort to hang onto it. I've been without insurance now for six years, and like you, I pray I don't get sick or have an accident, as with the cost of healthcare these days, one hospitalization could wipe me out pretty quickly.

I have no problem with the ACA mandate, as it will give me and many others like me access to insurance we can afford. Anyone who hasn't found themselves in this position has no idea how scary it can be to be without insurance.
If Obama loses you will not have coverage. Mitt and that evil ryan could care less about you. You know what they will tell you. Take this $50 voucher.....that should help

free market....free market
yea, free to die
you dieing doesnt cost the tea party a thing

Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
So in other words you are jealous they are better off then you, and so you want them to make less... pathetic.
You are "clueless" just like dash

Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM

679 posts, read 615,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I don't know if jealous is the right term
A hedge fund guy makes a couple million and buys awesome stuff, I get a bit jealous thinking about the trips I could take. So....I'm jealous.

A health insurance company bumps up their premiums making millions of money and pricing me out of the market for insurance because I can't survive on those high costs. Wanting them to charge less isn't jealousy, its more protection of life.

When you use normal business tactics to drive up prices in the health industry you are pretty much direct line increasing the probability more people will die. Yes its a business, yes every business needs to shoot to being profitable, but its a much much more grim profitability then almost any other field.

So when people say they shouldn't make so much money, I never really see it as jealousy, more as fear

Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I know a couple and one of my friends went without for almost 6 months because she couldn't afford COBRA when she was laid off but now has another plan through her new employer. Most of the people I know withouit it are young, my own daughter is going to age out in a couple months from her dads employee plan but she will get private insurance of some sort. She just lost a friend from college to cancer and is well aware that things can happen no matter how much you think they won't.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
have none and dont have any interest in obtaining it.

400,000 people die per year from medical prescription mishaps and other problems.

health care today is reactive, not proactive. go in, load up on pills, and keep you hooked for life.

if we focused on the preventative, holistic approach we'd be way better off.
let's hope you don't fall and break something. What kind of preventative, holistic approach are you taking towards not getting multiple sclerosis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies