Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
But above, you just said:

That is a Romney-grade flip-flop right there.

So which is it?

ok, there shall always be a certain amount of people who cannot care for themselves, such as the mentally retarded and the like. but the poor, homeless, elderly, and anyone else does not need goverment health care at all. if you have the intelligence to be able to hold a job, or be retired, then you have no need to get any type of goverment health care at all, neither federal or state ran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
ok, there shall always be a certain amount of people who cannot care for themselves, such as the mentally retarded and the like. but the poor, homeless, elderly, and anyone else does not need goverment health care at all. if you have the intelligence to be able to hold a job, or be retired, then you have no need to get any type of goverment health care at all, neither federal or state ran.
And what makes you think a poor/homeless/elderly person can afford health insurance, even in the free-market utopia you promise where government has no role in reining in the excesses of predatory insurance companies?

If you ran a health insurance company, would you insure a poor/homeless/elderly person, knowing how much they'd probably cost you in claims?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
I don't have health insurance - I lost it in '08 when I lost my full time perm job and my cobra was going to be a whoppin' 1400 a month...I certainly couldn't afford that, I called every insurance company in GA and no one would insure me because of my age and of course a few manageble pre-existing conditions. Recently I finally got a full time "temp" job at a hospital (dosen't pay great but) and guess what still no insurance - pretty sad that I can't get insurance at all and I work 40 hours a week at a hospital.

Some states do have a hi-risk pool for people like me but not this state.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I don't have health insurance - I lost it in '08 when I lost my full time perm job and my cobra was going to be a whoppin' 1400 a month...I certainly couldn't afford that, I called every insurance company in GA and no one would insure me because of my age and of course a few manageble pre-existing conditions. Recently I finally got a full time "temp" job at a hospital (dosen't pay great but) and guess what still no insurance - pretty sad that I can't get insurance at all and I work 40 hours a week at a hospital.

Some states do have a hi-risk pool for people like me but not this state.
And that state like mine
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - Georgia: Romney vs. Obama

Old 10-12-2012, 06:01 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I recently found out that my sister and her husband have no health insurance. I couldn't believe it to be honest.

Her husband was a mechanic for Northwest Airlines until he got laid off with all the restructuring. He is working for a contractor now inspecting planes for far less money and no benefits.

My sister has not been able to get a good enough job that provides insurance for the family.

So they get by without insurance and my sister just says "we can't afford it so our health is in God's hands"

These are good people, their only fault is they aren't good with money at all. They could be broke but if you needed food they would give you what they have. They are just good hearted folks without a desire for money or success. But they are hard workers. When my sister isn't working at one of her crappy part time jobs she is working at a homeless shelter in St Paul.

I know my republican friends on this forum are against help for these kinds of people and to be honest, my sister and husband are not asking for anyone's help. My brother in law is a republican, always has been even through all his troubles. He still says his health is not anyone else's problem. He cannot afford $1000 per month for a policy and he says he does not expect anyone else to pay it so I guess he's willing to die if he gets sick.

I just think this entire situation is sad. I think if you believe this country should not be providing a basic health policy for every citizen you just aren't seeing the big picture.

Thanks for reading.
So why aren't you paying for their insurance? You seem to think that I and everyone else with a job in the country should pay, so why don't you start by writing them a check. It sounds like your sister is willing to do what she can for others, why don't you follow her example and take care of your family.

Just because they are bad with money doesn't entitle them to mine.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Not sure I understand the link??? I very very pro universal health care and have been for decades. I consider health insurance companies inherently evil. They spend more on admin costs than any other nation in the world...why because they deny deny deny coverage. I happen to work in Case Management department at the hospital as an admin and every day I receive documents that say to "ms. smith" yes we approve your stay at the hospital for x amount of days and then about 2 sentences down in small print it reads something like...but just because we approve doesn't mean we will pay. My dept has over 50 BSN/MSN RN's with advanced degrees and certifications just to fight the health insurance companies...their salaries alone could cover a boat load of health care. You just wouldn't believe the hoops the insurance companies require to get payment. Anyone remember the book and movie by John Grisham called "The Rainmaker? It may be a "fictional" account of big insurance but it's real ohhh so real.

The biggest cause of bankruptcy is catastrophic health issues even with health insurance...you could be only one heart attack away from the poor house even with "good" insurance.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Not sure I understand the link??? I very very pro universal health care and have been for decades. I consider health insurance companies inherently evil. They spend more on admin costs than any other nation in the world...why because they deny deny deny coverage. I happen to work in Case Management department at the hospital as an admin and every day I receive documents that say to "ms. smith" yes we approve your stay at the hospital for x amount of days and then about 2 sentences down in small print it reads something like...but just because we approve doesn't mean we will pay. My dept has over 50 BSN/MSN RN's with advanced degrees and certifications just to fight the health insurance companies...their salaries alone could cover a boat load of health care. You just wouldn't believe the hoops the insurance companies require to get payment. Anyone remember the book and movie by John Grisham called "The Rainmaker? It may be a "fictional" account of big insurance but it's real ohhh so real.

The biggest cause of bankruptcy is catastrophic health issues even with health insurance...you could be only one heart attack away from the poor house even with "good" insurance.
Just pointing out that your State like my State votes against its people

Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 PM

OH OK got it. I'd love to get out of here but of course I'm stuck with the non-existant real estate market in my area, I can't sell out at all.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
I myself am without health insurance, simply because it's too expensive. Once I get a better paying job, I plan on getting insured, but as of now, I'd basically have a job just to pay for health insurance.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So why aren't you paying for their insurance? You seem to think that I and everyone else with a job in the country should pay, so why don't you start by writing them a check. It sounds like your sister is willing to do what she can for others, why don't you follow her example and take care of your family.

Just because they are bad with money doesn't entitle them to mine.
I suppose this comes down to a philosophical question. If you do believe that those in need should not just be abandoned to die in some corner where they don't interrupt the rest of us while we are shopping, then it requires there to be some mechanism that will provide aid to these people.

The idea, then, is that the burden of paying for another family (or extended family member) is likely too large for one single payer and that the cost of covering this person is a much lighter burden if shared by many. This idea, of course, is called social responsibility and is based on the thought that anyone of us could be the person in need. Would it be better if family took on that responsibility? Sure. But that seems unrealistic, especially when considering the outrageous cost of health care/health insurance.

Problems arise, of course, when this system is abused (as it is), or when the number of needy people exceed a certain threshold at which the sharing of cost poses a more substantial burden even to a large group of paying members of society.

It's a principle that is pervasive in our society. Large infrastructure improvements are generally rolled over on tax payers whether they directly benefit from the improvement or not. This kind of social responsibility is what makes us a functioning society. It is, in part, what makes us strong.

It also makes us a great place to live - or do you think you'd like to see people with contagious diseases hang out on your street or where you shop simply because they cannot get treatment? They are free to assemble, after all - so why not in the same spot where you and I shop? I have a feeling you'd happily contribute a few bucks when not caring for others puts you at risk...

Or perhaps, it is government's job to make sure that those with contagious diseases receive treatment - so that the rest of us don't get sick, too. For that, of course, they need money. Yours and mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies