Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I disagree with all limitations on business license. But this is a local issue, and local communities have been doing this for a long time, with strip clubs, liquor stores, etc.

Suddenly republicans seem concerned when the blocked business agrees with them, but have been against individual freedom when the disagree with it.

Can't have it both ways.
nice try, but you fail on this analogy. cities dont deny business licenses to people who want to open strip clubs or liquor stores based on the owners beliefs, they just require them to locate the business in certain areas away from schools and churches. what some cities are trying to do is deny COMPLETELY a business license to a chick-fil-a operation. that is the difference.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I want a free country, which means I support all of the idiotic things that I disagree with intellectually.
This.

I don't like Chik-Fil-A's politics (or their food) but that doesn't give me the right to tell them can't set up shop. It just means I won't be purchasing terrible food that supports a far right anti-gay agenda.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm not a liberal. I support westboros right to free speech, even at military funerals and burning qurans. But I also respect the freedom of speech of those that surround those cemeteries. To protect the families of the fallen.

I want a free country, which means I support all of the idiotic things that I disagree with intellectually.
I agree with this.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 PM

254 posts, read 316,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This.

I don't like Chik-Fil-A's politics (or their food) but that doesn't give me the right to tell them can't set up shop. It just means I won't be purchasing terrible food that supports a far right anti-gay agenda.
If the owners of a business use the profits to actively try to undermine the freedom and civil rights of millions of people based on nonsensical arguments coming mainly from an old fairy tales book, I think that that business should be shut down.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:24 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
The best chicken filet anyone can eat is made at home.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And I wish you guys would stop pulling the stupid "liberal tolerance" cliche. I don't know a single liberal who defines tolerance as accepting anyone and everything, no matter how reprehensible their views are.

I don't tolerate Neo-Nazis, the Westboro Baptist Church, or the KKK. Does that make me intolerant?
Do you tolerate the New Black Panther Party, Nation of Islam, and La Raza?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:53 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
If the owners of a business use the profits to actively try to undermine the freedom and civil rights of millions of people based on nonsensical arguments coming mainly from an old fairy tales book, I think that that business should be shut down.
Ah....so, in other words, people who dare have views other than yours should be silenced. Luckily, we have something called the First Amendment. I know that liberals would like to get rid of it, but it is there. I only hope that liberal judges do not effectively end the protections it provides.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:58 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Ah....so, in other words, people who dare have views other than yours should be silenced. Luckily, we have something called the First Amendment. I know that liberals would like to get rid of it, but it is there. I only hope that liberal judges do not effectively end the protections it provides.
That is the liberal view point clearly defined.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
That is the liberal view point clearly defined.
I can't think of any freedoms other than the right to have abortions or the right to marry someone of the same sex that liberals really support.

BTW - I am pro-gay marrriage, but I do find myself forced to side with Chick-Fil-A on this. The idea of opinions being silenced is absolutely terrifying. The right to express your opinion is the most fundamental and most important right.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
I think cities should absolutely have a right to decide which businesses can open in their towns and which can't. How many socially conservative cities would like marijuana shops and sex toy stores to open within their city limits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies