Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
supporters of marriage and neo-nazis are slightly different.
Religious extremists and Neo-Nazis are not much different. Both are delusional and base their views on lies and misinformation.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
No. But when the church disagrees with gay marriage all Republicans are intolerant.
Considering the entire church doesn't disagree with it, primarily only the Conservative varieties, you're making a pretty broad statement. And the Church's views aren't based on an intelligent, informed understanding of the issue, it's based on archaic tradition and a corrupted Biblical translation.

I don't respect the Churches that thought the Sun revolved around the Earth. How is this different? Both are based on Biblical literalism and tradition.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Mountain View, CA decides this week whether to grant a license to CFA. An appeal was filed by one David Speakman, a man in a gay marriage. He's opposing the conversion of the former restaurant site on El Camino Real on the basis of their stance on gay marriage (and the drive-thru).

City officials are recommending the City Council deny the appeal.

Based on the article I think they will approve the project. One member of the council states she doesn't agree with their position but would not make her decision based on it. And an attorney for the Pacific Justice Institute notes its illegal for cities to make zoning restrictions around beliefs deemed politically incorrect.

So much for liberal tolerance. If they build it I guess I might have to pedal down there and meet Repubocrat for a sandwich. Wouldn't want to get fat.
You must not be the sharpest tool in the shed. Anyone can file anything in most California cities when it comes to most local planning permits. That said the vote from the city council will no doubt be 12 to 0 to issue the permit so your claims of being a victim are completely baseless. Just clueless really.

This is very much like Fox News' usual claims that 1 person in a city of 1 million said something stupid therefore that whole city must be dumb. Stop trying to play the victim and realize the stereotyping you did in your own post was probably worse than the original stupid remark from one man.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm not a liberal. I support westboros right to free speech, even at military funerals and burning qurans. But I also respect the freedom of speech of those that surround those cemeteries. To protect the families of the fallen.

I want a free country, which means I support all of the idiotic things that I disagree with intellectually.
Supporting their right to be hateful bigots isn't the same as being tolerant. I don't tolerate their beliefs, I do accept that they have the right to share them no matter how evil and idiotic.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:57 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You must not be the sharpest tool in the shed. Anyone can file anything in most California cities when it comes to most local planning permits. That said the vote from the city council will no doubt be 12 to 0 to issue the permit so your claims of being a victim are completely baseless. Just clueless really.

This is very much like Fox News' usual claims that 1 person in a city of 1 million said something stupid therefore that whole city must be dumb. Stop trying to play the victim and realize the stereotyping you did in your own post was probably worse than the original stupid remark from one man.
I never claimed to be a victim. I posted news from the paper this morning. I don't eat at any fast-food restaurant much, with the exception of Peet's Coffee and Starbucks.

I didn't speculate which way the council might vote. I did note that the council indicates they won't use the past actions of CFA as a determining factor when making a decision.

The news to me is a lawsuit filed on the basis of "their stance on gay marriage". Ask the ACLU, the "Gods" of the Left, how they would react to a similar case. When I refer to "liberal tolerance" I'm making a broad generalization.

I Think4Myself. You are such a partisan you forgot how to think.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think cities should absolutely have a right to decide which businesses can open in their towns and which can't. How many socially conservative cities would like marijuana shops and sex toy stores to open within their city limits?
as long as a business is legal, and follows the zoning laws of the city and state in which they are planning to open their business, then what right does ANY municipality have to deny a business license to any legal business?

Old 10-13-2012, 02:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Homosexual, cry babies can only have it their way not unlike the little kids on the play ground but the law is the law and it can't be denied on a social basis.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:12 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
supporters of marriage and neo-nazis are slightly different.
The anti-gay groups who have 'smear and fear' agendas vilifying gay and lesbian people by spreading negative propaganda and junk science are no different to the KKK, Westboro etc.

How many times do you hear things like homosexuals are pedophiles, child molestors, AIDS-ridden, promiscuous, sex obsessed perverts out to recruit children to their unnatural life-style etc?

Anti-gay groups trot out junk science and distortions and misrepresentations of studies in 'articles' all over the internet, knowing full well that their 'followers' will never bother to check the accuracy of their claims and will go on spreading their vile rubbish.

All under the guise of being "traditional marriage supporters". "Oh, we're not against gay people, we just support marriage between a man and a woman". BS.

That being said, CFA have the right to financiallly support these types of groups as much as they like.

Last edited by Ceist; 10-13-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Homosexual, cry babies can only have it their way not unlike the little kids on the play ground but the law is the law and it can't be denied on a social basis.
We hear far more whining from ignorant dummy-spitting tantrumming social conservatives who 'can only have it their way' and don't understand 'the law'.

At least this man understands the relevant laws, which is why he and a group of residents lodged an appeal that has nothing to do with a 'social basis' (whatever that's supposed to mean)

"Speakman acknowledged Cathy is entitled to his views under the First Amendment and that council members cannot simply reverse the permit approvals because they disagree with him. For that reason, he said, the appeal focuses on the restaurant's environmental impacts.

The appeal claims the drive-thru will make El Camino Real more hazardous to bicyclists and pedestrians. In addition, three heritage trees would have to be removed to make way for a sign and a nearby apartment complex would be subject to exhaust and noise from idling cars."
Opponents can't stomach Chick-fil-A's plans in Mountain View - San Jose Mercury News

Last edited by Ceist; 10-13-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 04:45 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
I guess the homosexual is an idiot. He clearly doesn't even understand what happened with the CFA thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies