Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
My best friend for over 20 years was a card carrying democrat. Both of his parents were union and he was indoctrinated to that political bent. Im a staunch Republican and both of my parents indoctrinated me as such. This friend and I never once in 20 years discussed politics or religion. If a person cant shut up about their political ideas in public they are a confrontational sort I dont want to be around. Thats what I like about the anoniminty of the interwebs, i dont really need to maintain any relationships here
Recently had to distance myself from a previously close friend and otherwise pleasant older lady who just could not stop herself from sending me a lot of right wing emails, some of 'em pretty nasty stuff. I knew she was conservative which is fine, and she knows I'm a liberal. But I also knew better than to bring politics up, just as you and your friend avoid it.

So kept asking her not to email me this kinda stuff (basically right wing propaganda), and each time she would get very offended and even hung up on me once, as though she "needed" to, and it was her "right" to send it to me. I probably could have just ignored it, but then I eventually figured, what kind of "friend" can't respect a simple request like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I don't think many people would make friends initially with someone whose values and
principles (or lack thereof) they found detestable.
There are few political opinions I find detestable. People have different values that shape their political views.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
It depends.

I've met a liberal or two who actually realized they had a brain and used it. We don't agree but we can still get along as we have learned to discuss, not sling insults.

Ignorant though? Not naive, just plain ass ignorant? That would be the ones who get smacked upside the head with facts and still refuse to see? Yah, I don't have time for people like that.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:38 PM

256 posts, read 617,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Would you end a friendship(s) over someone's ignornant political beliefs? Do you tend to keep like-minded friends?
Why are they ignorant if they are different from yours?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,974 times
My friends and I only discuss politics peripherally. None of us cares enough, or trusts in the system or politicians enough, to actually stop speaking to one another. My friends are far more important than politics to me.
There are members of my (extended) family who won't speak because of political beliefs. I find this to be the height of stupidity.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:11 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
I would not end a friendship based on political beliefs. I do not expect all my friends to agree with my political opinion, and certainly not particular politicians.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:32 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
There are some people who are rabid about an issue and are 'friends', but I think they collect these 'friends' just to expand their email list and propagandize. I had such a friend who persisted in sending me anti Arab and anti Muslim 'jokes'. After I told him that I did not appreciate that sort of humor he stopped emailing me altogether.

I have another friend who sends me occasional emails of videos and writeups trashing this country and containing a lot of conspiracy stuff. I reply to her that, better than taking to the hills with guns and survivalist paraphernalia, maybe if we all got the best education for our kids possible and motivated them to get jobs in finance and government - maybe then they could change things. But that takes brains and a lot more effort than just trash talking, probably as a preliminary to recruit followers for some idiot group of survivalists. She responds to my responses with long periods of silence.

People have different depths of feeling when it comes to politics. I certainly get understandably upset when people want to dictate my choices in life by the teachings of their religion. Who wouldn't? That's not a friend who makes room for you as an equal.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM

313 posts, read 329,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hopefully there will be much more interesting things to talk about.
My husband and I agreed when we first got together not to talk about politics because we were at opposite ends of the spectrum.
We have never lacked for other conversation.

Sure there is plenty to talk about in life, my pont is why not talk about EVERYTHING? I certainly would not want to be with someone who I have to tip toe around on some conversational topics.
If I can talk to a friend about politics more so than with my SO...then maybe I would be with the wrong woman. SO's should share EVERYTHING.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Would you end a friendship(s) over someone's ignornant political beliefs? Do you tend to keep like-minded friends?

I would not have any liberal friends, as thier core beliefs would dictate that we would never intersect in social circles. Besides, liberals tend to be social bores and are annoying at social events, so they are best ignored. Libs always seem compelled to tell you WHAT THEY THINK. A good conversationalist asks another about thier interests and finds some common ground. No one wants to listen to a bore.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,757,054 times
I dont consider politics important enough to end a friendship over. Besides, IMO, politicians are completely corrupt and the system sucks. Most of my friends feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies