Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
....Really? And you think the OTHER poster is being ridiculous?
Yes. I do.

What's wrong with talking about important issues with people that are important to you?

Mind you, our discussions look nothing like the idiocy that goes on here in PnC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I really do hate people that are infatuated and obsessed with politics. Hate 'em with a passion.
You have over 12,000 posts in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,818,485 times
I guess...how can you trust someone who hates God too?

I don't even go to church and can see "something" is NOT right with that........

Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Would you end a friendship(s) over someone's ignornant political beliefs? Do you tend to keep like-minded friends?
No, and yes.

I do not discuss politics, religion, sex, or personal finances with my friends. All of my friends are strong supporters of the individual right to bear arms, and I know many of them are very liberal and they know I am very conservative, even though we do not discuss politics. I will not associate with anyone who thinks otherwise, liberal or conservative.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No, and yes.

I do not discuss politics, religion, sex, or personal finances with my friends. All of my friends are strong supporters of the individual right to bear arms, and I know many of them are very liberal and they know I am very conservative, even though we do not discuss politics. I will not associate with anyone who thinks otherwise, liberal or conservative.
I haven't met ANY very liberal pro gun folks in my life. "Hunting" doesn't count......... Maybe they can fool you......I like my M1A, ARs, AKs, FN PS-90, Microtech STG556 and CARRY that high cap handgun with a license.....

If I want to hunt deer or ducks.... Joe's "opinion" on my Remington 1187 doesn't matter too much.
Neither does "plinking" with my Ruger 10-22.

I know.....I know...."what do you need that for?"

Right? Right?

Up yours Joe!

Old 10-14-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I've got NOTHING in common with gay friendly, anti gun, tree hugging, let someone walk all over you (anti war...anti violence), legal drugs, sell your truck and ride a bike, give my tax money to people too lazy to work blowhards.

I've tried it and thought I could do it. It always backfires and comes back to bite me in the ass. No...all my friends are like minded. Odd ducks need not apply!
Y'all can keep the change!

"Keep The Change" - Hank Jr. - YouTube

Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
I haven't met ANY very liberal pro gun folks in my life. "Hunting" doesn't count......... Maybe they can fool you......I like my M1A, ARs, AKs, FN PS-90, Microtech STG556 and CARRY that high cap handgun with a license.....

If I want to hunt deer or ducks.... Joe's "opinion" on my Remington 1187 doesn't matter too much.
Neither does "plinking" with my Ruger 10-22.

I know.....I know...."what do you need that for?"

Right? Right?

Up yours Joe!
I have been a member of the Alaskan NRA-ILA Legislative Steering Committee for 21 years, and I have personally met many pro-Second Amendment conservatives and liberals from all over the State. The Second Amendment is one of those issues that crosses political party lines. In Alaska hunting does count, because it means the livelihood for many. Had it not been for the liberal vote, we would not have been able to amend our State Constitution in 1994 with 77% of the popular vote.
§ 19. Right to Keep and Bear Arms
A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State. [as amended in 1994]

There are no firearm licenses required anywhere in Alaska. Alaska does issue a Concealed Carry Permit, but only for reciprocity purposes with other States. There is no CCP required in Alaska to carry concealed.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have been a member of the Alaskan NRA-ILA Legislative Steering Committee for 21 years, and I have personally met many pro-Second Amendment conservatives and liberals from all over the State. The Second Amendment is one of those issues that crosses political party lines. In Alaska hunting does count, because it means the livelihood for many. Had it not been for the liberal vot Ie, we would not have been able to amend our State Constitution in 1994 with 77% of the popular vote.
§ 19. Right to Keep and Bear Arms
A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State. [as amended in 1994]
There are no firearm licenses required anywhere in Alaska. Alaska does issue a Concealed Carry Permit, but only for reciprocity purposes with other States. There is no CCP required in Alaska to carry concealed.
Hunting counts here too for Remington 870s, 1100s, 1187s, Mossberg 500s and various other makes and models of "hunting" firearms....including a .500 S&W.

That's still not my Yugo M70 AK, Springfield M1A, Colt H-BAR etc....etc...

We don't need a license or permit to purchace outside of the Federal FFL 4473 and FBI NICS required by Federal law when purchasing from an FFL dealer. Private sales are not included in this, but must follow similar guidelines. You still must make sure the person is old enough and not have reason to believe they are a drug abuser, felon, mentally unstable, resident of the State etc...

We are a "shall issue" State. That means anyone at least 18 who wants a license to carry, and has a clean record can get one after a visit to the local PD after they take your fingerprints and fill out some forms. We also can own Class III here at 21 with the Federal $200 tax stamps.... ie machine guns (full auto)....suppressors...SBR (short barrel rifle)...and $5 for AOW (any other weapon) ie under 18" barrel shotguns with pistol grips.

I don't toot off on States that don't require people to carry with a CCW. Someone may be carrying that weapon who shouldn't have it and hasn't been checked out prior. It's nothing to brag about really, expecially when you consider how easy it is for us to get one of you want it. At least you know the guy is clean and can show it to any LEO who wants to see it at random.

I guess I wouldn't get too worked up either if the guy was carrying a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 MAG for "hunting" instead of my Wilson CQB 1911, Les Baer Thunder Ranch 1911, Glock 19/23/17/27/21/20, Sig Sauer P-226, P-228/9, P-220, HK USP40, HK P30, S&W M&P 9 etc..etc........

Two "different" types of guns.

If you want to toss your Bushmaster M4 or your Mossberg 500 Cruiser in your vehicle to carry around....we can do that too.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:09 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
I have a good friend who is republican. I never even knew what her political affiliations were. She had her kids on welfare, she's been divorced twice, her kids had kids on welfare, if there's a way to get money from a state/federal entity, she knows all the ins and outs of doing so, she's pro-choice, etc., etc.

We simply never discussed politics until she started watching Fox News. Now all she ever does is dump on Obama, she makes all these nasty comments, she's rude, she repeats Fox talking points, she's just gotten mean and is starting to be very unpleasant to be around. Worse, I fail to understand how she can be such a hypocrite, whining about the government cutting some money she's used to getting and then she'll go off on a tangent about "big government." I have to constantly bite my tongue now in order not to call her out on this because I still care about her, but she thinks nothing of making snide comments about how I'm such a "liberal," when she knows I've given money and voted on both sides of the aisle.

I have been friends with this woman for over 20 years and have loved her to death. Now, frankly, I seriously am starting to rethink our friendship. It's getting to be quite the chore to be around her.
I have a similar story. I also have a wonderful friend of 20 years or so whom I've recently discovered has some very ugly attitudes. I discovered this when she started sending really awful/hateful/bigoted e-mails about the president. I asked her to stop. She did for a while, and then started sending them again. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to end this previously close friendship. I truly think, like most extremists, that it's really not about politics, but perhaps she is using politics to act out her emotional issues. Maybe it's a way of avoiding looking in the mirror. The internet has certainly made it easier for extremists to feel validated and avoid dealing with the real reasons for their attitudes (this forum seems to attract quite a few people who fit the profile).

Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,867 times
Quote:
I've got NOTHING in common with gay friendly, anti gun, tree hugging, let someone walk all over you (anti war...anti violence), legal drugs, sell your truck and ride a bike, give my tax money to people too lazy to work blowhards.

I've tried it and thought I could do it. It always backfires and comes back to bite me in the ass. No...all my friends are like minded. Odd ducks need not apply!
Did you ever consider that you might be the "odd duck" in many corners of the country?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I have a similar story. I also have a wonderful friend of 20 years or so whom I've recently discovered has some very ugly attitudes. I discovered this when she started sending really awful/hateful/bigoted e-mails about the president. I asked her to stop. She did for a while, and then started sending them again. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to end this previously close friendship. I truly think, like most extremists, that it's really not about politics, but perhaps she is using politics to act out her emotional issues. Maybe it's a way of avoiding looking in the mirror. The internet has certainly made it easier for extremists to feel validated and avoid dealing with the real reasons for their attitudes (this forum seems to attract quite a few people who fit the profile).
Hell...if she doesn't like Obama, you should hang onto her....she's a very smart lady and will be in your best interests. Maybe she needs new friends too who aren't blind and deaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies