Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times

Advertisements

I have friends who are very far left and friends who are very far right and i could care less about their stupid beliefs, they are still cool people and fun to hang out with election season does get intense, alot of crazy facebook debates lately but i will always respect peoples beliefs even if i dont agree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 PM

419 posts, read 466,174 times
I have a good friend who is republican. I never even knew what her political affiliations were. She had her kids on welfare, she's been divorced twice, her kids had kids on welfare, if there's a way to get money from a state/federal entity, she knows all the ins and outs of doing so, she's pro-choice, etc., etc.

We simply never discussed politics until she started watching Fox News. Now all she ever does is dump on Obama, she makes all these nasty comments, she's rude, she repeats Fox talking points, she's just gotten mean and is starting to be very unpleasant to be around. Worse, I fail to understand how she can be such a hypocrite, whining about the government cutting some money she's used to getting and then she'll go off on a tangent about "big government." I have to constantly bite my tongue now in order not to call her out on this because I still care about her, but she thinks nothing of making snide comments about how I'm such a "liberal," when she knows I've given money and voted on both sides of the aisle.

I have been friends with this woman for over 20 years and have loved her to death. Now, frankly, I seriously am starting to rethink our friendship. It's getting to be quite the chore to be around her.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Just about. I'm a lib and she's a neo-con, I sleep in a nice warm bed with the dog, she sleeps in the cold dog house.

Actually, NO.
Couples shouldn't ever discuss politics, and dicussing political views with a good friend should be a nono too. Discussing politics with a friend can sometimes result in the friendship ending, and why would anyone want to do that?
Kabaaaaaaaaam!

I never, ever, discuss politics with my wife and friends. For what? There are a thousand other things to discuss. Hell, I can drone on for hours on the virtues of John Coltrane without anyone interjecting. LMAO...

I will end a friendship with a person that insists on talking about politics in my presence. I really do hate people that are infatuated and obsessed with politics. Hate 'em with a passion.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,437 times
whats happening is this rendition of democrats is completely without morals...the ones with morals left the party...so its not just a political idea..the democrats are absolutely immoral ...people with morals can notice these things and relate...people who are non reflective don't see and push the immoral activities under the carpet....this is how Obama is effective and relates, he is loud and speaks from an injured disposition that he is being un fairly over viewed, the cry baby approach that refuse's to take responsibilities for anything and insists on being right, making beer in the basement, going on shows and getting his teeth whitened...social acceptance and loudness is important to lefties because reflection gets the boot...thought and careful consideration toward ethic is enemy #1 for lefties...and Obama always always try to fake it. You can spot the baloney a mile away though... so emphasized and always used as a tool.

A sharp 17 year old could prep for 3 days and easily win this next debate. Obama has no case to argue and will be pointing the finger at anything and everything under the sun in order to fix a common ground villain plus this investigation baloney.......he'll prob start with a great big speech at getting the ones responsible for the last attack. ...which says what exactly..?

Last edited by stargazzer; 10-14-2012 at 11:20 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
That sounds ridiculous.

A good portion of my conversation with my friends and family is political.
....Really? And you think the OTHER poster is being ridiculous?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
whats happening is that this rendition of democrats is completely without morals...the ones with morals left the party...so its not just a political idea..the democrats are absolutely immoral ...people with morals can notice these things and relate...people without morals ...don't see and push the immoral activities under the carpet....this is how Obama is effective, he is loud and speaks from an injured disposition that he is being un fairly over viewed, the cry baby approach that refuse's to take responsibilities for anything and insists on being right, making beer in the basement, going on shows and getting his teeth whitened...social acceptance and loudness is important to lefties because reflection gets the boot...thought and careful consideration toward ethic is enemy #1 for lefties.
The ones with morals left the party? Oh yea...you mean like Strom Thurmond? Yea...good point.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times
Sadly, there are people that get so worked up over politics that it DOES start to affect their relationships. It shouldn't be that way.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Would you end a friendship(s) over someone's ignornant political beliefs? Do you tend to keep like-minded friends?
I much prefer to keep like-minded friends and even family. I just got into it with my cousin over an abortion thing and ended up working it out later. The next day, I got into it with my parents (about something offensive my dad posted and I called him out on it saying he was being a jerk) and now they aren't talking to me. So yes, I would end a relationship over political beliefs as much as I hate to say it. To me, it's probably the lack of being able to be honest about facts and take the emotion out of the discussion, but that's b/c they know they have no leg to stand on so they just avoid talking about the actual topic and start with the low blows. But that's liberals for ya anyway.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Depends on the basis of your friendship. If it's based heavily on conversations about politics, a serious disagreement can be hard to overcome.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,818,485 times
I've got NOTHING in common with gay friendly, anti gun, tree hugging, let someone walk all over you (anti war...anti violence), legal drugs, sell your truck and ride a bike, give my tax money to people too lazy to work blowhards.

I've tried it and thought I could do it. It always backfires and comes back to bite me in the ass. No...all my friends are like minded. Odd ducks need not apply!

Last edited by Riverboat Gambler; 10-14-2012 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies