Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:30 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Couples shouldn't ever discuss politics, and dicussing political views with a good friend should be a nono too.
That sounds ridiculous.

A good portion of my conversation with my friends and family is political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
No. My oldest and best friend is Conservative as are most of my other friends. (lone Democratic in a Red area.) It all boils down to respecting each other enough to allow for a friendly back and forth without getting so wrapped up that you forget it's just politics. One party is up while the other is down and in a lifetime they do and will trade places many times. We all need each other for counter balance. However, I could never marry a Conservative. It just wouldn't work for me. I have one Tea Party relative that I'd kill out of frustration if I had to spend 24/7 with him. I keep my opinion to myself when he's around.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,988,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Would you end a friendship(s) over someone's ignornant political beliefs? Do you tend to keep like-minded friends?
Yes and yes.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Quote:
Would you end a friendship(s) over someone's ignornant political beliefs? Do you tend to keep like-minded friends?
No. People are entitled to their own opinions.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
Well, I have a worse problem. My dear Mother is a fundamentalist, rapture-believing conservative. We have to agree to not get into dogmatic discussions about politics. She loved George Bush...Regardless, my affection is not diminished a scintilla, she's a terrific Mother, Grandmother, and a great person. Although I have to manage the situation,especially when Mom starts spouting and my wife is around!

I enjoy arguing to a degree, and my friends have a healthy respect for my opinions and vice versa. Healthy, meaning they listen usually, though they don't necessarily agree. And I really hate yes men. I enjoy a dissenting view, well presented, much more than fawning group think. When I argue with folks I rarely give ground in the moment, but if a friend brings up an important issue, and after thinking about it, I realize I am wrong. I thank them and adjust my view, usually within a week.

What I cannot suffer is a person who insists on going on and on about politics, when it is clear that they are spewing horse pucky with no interest in learning a thing. That is just rude, and intellectually dishonest, and why hang out with friend who are rude,annoying, and stupid? In my case, the braindead politicos are usually relatives who never went college, live in the country, and who listen to Limbaugh. Family you have to love regardless, friends? Not so much.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 10-14-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
When I was younger I found that a lot of my friends were sometimes very liberal compared to me, particularly due to my involvement in the arts world. But I consider that I was not as cautious or conscientious about friendships then.

Today, I just don't naturally associate with liberal types as much anymore. So I can't say that I have any close friends who are liberal in that regard.

But if it were an older friend that would be different because of our past experience.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:

I became more and more Conservative, well before my wife got the hint. We are still married(21 years)

Being a business owner and not an employee, will do that to you. We are both now, self employed.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No. My oldest and best friend is Conservative as are most of my other friends. (lone Democratic in a Red area.) It all boils down to respecting each other enough to allow for a friendly back and forth without getting so wrapped up that you forget it's just politics. One party is up while the other is down and in a lifetime they do and will trade places many times. We all need each other for counter balance. However, I could never marry a Conservative. It just wouldn't work for me. I have one Tea Party relative that I'd kill out of frustration if I had to spend 24/7 with him. I keep my opinion to myself when he's around.
I'm kind of the same way. Since I'm an evangelical Christian, I'm kind of stuck settling for conservative women, but I couldn't stomach a tea party neocon for a wife or a far right fundamentalist. My aunt, however is a tea party Republican who regularly spouts off that Obama's a marxist who will drag us into a dictatorship. I don't have the heart to tell her I'm liberal, so I just smile and nod. She's a wonderful woman, and I love her dearly. I just avoid talking politics with her if I can.

And yes, West Michigan is quite red. Berrien County, where I live, hasn't elected a Democratic official since FDR.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,637 times
No and No!

After a long military career followed on with a second civilian career in Dept of Defense, I have many friends that are quite a bit more politically conservative than myself. My Best Friend is from a Southern State, her brother is a very Conservative U.S. Congressman and we have been friends for over 20 years; stayed at each others homes, vacation together, etc.

Life is too complicated and I believe we all have beliefs that careen in and out of Right/Left mantras.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 PM

376 posts, read 653,098 times
Default Friendship no....partner yes

Quote:

I have plenty of friends I disagree with politically. But I couldn't live with someone whose values were much different than my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies