Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM

30,457 posts, read 52,171,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
I don't really understand how they can categorize reproductive rights and same sex marriage as "social" issues vs. economic issues. They are economic issues as well. Without contraception (and let's not kid ourselves, some of the anti-choice folks are already going after that), women are the ones who usually end up dealing with childcare issues, which can limit their availability to work certain hours, etc. When same sex couples can't marry, it affects things like tax breaks available to married couples, property transfer, etc.
This.

I know the right likes to make this out as a social issue, since they can only parrot things like "abortion stops a beating heart," or babble about 52 million dead Democrat babies... but here in the REAL world, those 52 million extra lives (plus their children/grandchildren) would have only added to our economic crisis. That might sound callous, but it is simply the TRUTH. That doesn't mean I'm a fan of abortion, but unlike some people, I am able to see beyond my emotions on this issue.

And as somebody who doesn't like abortion, but can also see the forest for the trees, I am in support of anything that reduces unwanted pregnancies - hopefully by preventing conception through comprehensive sex education & birth control availability, but also by supporting those who choose to terminate a pregnancy. At least in the case of those former two issues, I just can't fathom how a supposedly "pro-life" voter who is also concerned about the economy would disagree. They are seriously short-sighted and illogical, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,126,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Unfortunately for Obama, of the 52 million dead babies since Roe v Wade, a disproportionate share would have grown up to be Democratic voters.

Here's a news flash: something that has happened 52 million times since 1972 is not about to become illegal, no matter who wins. Pro-life and pro-choice people all need to avoid starving to death in the dark--that's the issue we need to solve first.
Not according to the Republicans who have been vigorously and consistently writing legislation to subvert Roe v Wade the last few years instead of using that valuable legislative time and money trying to improve the economy.

Fortunately, Obama is improving the economy and will continue to improve the economy......all without taking away women's rights.

BTW.....swing state voter here!

{BTW.......Republican women have abortions.... and.... Republicans have Democratic offspring.....like me, so much for your little theory. LOL} {In defense of my parents, they were Republicans before the party went looney tunes.}

Last edited by Annie53; 10-23-2012 at 04:19 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,733,332 times
My 68 year old mother, who is newly retired, dislikes Obama and Romney. She has been torn about who to vote for. I told her that if she can't think about who the best man for the country is then she need to take her choice down to her "personal" issues. I told her to think about her retirement life and how each candidate might effect her. She then told me she wasn't worried about that but that she was worried about this whole "abortion" mess.

My mother is pro-choice. She states that she is afraid that we will "go back" to how it was when she was young. She saw several girls, when she was in high school, have to travel to other states to get an abortion, or they were victims of "alley" abortions, or there were girls who just disappeared because they chose to have a baby and they had no support and their lives were just ruined in ways that NEVER affected the biological father. Her concern is that women today take for granted the reproductive "rights" they have and they don't remember how bad it was. She said she is no longer affected by whatever they decide, but she will never forget those times and how much better it is for women now.

I told her "Mother, I think you made your decision."

Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 AM

68,404 posts, read 54,700,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'ts the economy, stupid!

Abortion stops a beating heart.

Asinine wars of choice stop many beating hearts, if only the allegedly pro-life people would take on that social issue.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,366,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Unfortunately for Obama, of the 52 million dead babies since Roe v Wade, a disproportionate share would have grown up to be Democratic voters.

Here's a news flash: something that has happened 52 million times since 1972 is not about to become illegal, no matter who wins. Pro-life and pro-choice people all need to avoid starving to death in the dark--that's the issue we need to solve first.
They're not babies.
But your side never lets facts get in the way of a good emotional diatribe.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,542,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
1. Its the examiner.

2. It doesn't say "all voters" it says women. Women aren't all swing voters, which is what you said earlier all swing voters are concerned with abortion.
It's Gallup ---

Women in Swing States Have Gender-Specific Priorities

Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,871,261 times
Two things...stop interfering with other nations...and stop interfering with the birth of human beings. Abortion should be forgotten..It has had it's day and is no longer a real issue. These days people can handle their own problems privately and the state should butt out...be it gay marriage or abortion ...both of these subjects have nothing to do with anything but emotion...emotional issues should be avoided..and MONEY..and the flow of it should be addressed...There is no recession...or depression- just hoarding by the insecure and fearful rich...Money is the blood supply....that flow must be re-established...You want emotion? You can have emotion- the more you have the less effective you will be...

The current of the river is currency. Open up the damn and let the water flow...Hoarding is what is killing America...There was a man I knew who recently died..He was hoarding well over 25 billion bucks...Yes he was attempting to ensure that an elite class continued for the next generation...but- - - This insurance policy caused more harm than good...There can not be an elite without a middle class..

Feminists who go on about "a woman's right to choose" should shut up and mind their own business what other men and woman do privately....There should be the right to choose prosperity..at this point...that right is fading....MONEY...is not about emotion- it is about human comfort.

You can have all the abortion rights you want- but if you are poor...you will tend to abort..if you are secure...You will not abort- abortion was designed for the poor...get my point?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,126,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Two things...stop interfering with other nations...and stop interfering with the birth of human beings. Abortion should be forgotten..It has had it's day and is no longer a real issue. These days people can handle their own problems privately and the state should butt out...be it gay marriage or abortion ...both of these subjects have nothing to do with anything but emotion...emotional issues should be avoided..and MONEY..and the flow of it should be addressed...There is no recession...or depression- just hoarding by the insecure and fearful rich...Money is the blood supply....that flow must be re-established...You want emotion? You can have emotion- the more you have the less effective you will be...

The current of the river is currency. Open up the damn and let the water flow...Hoarding is what is killing America...There was a man I knew who recently died..He was hoarding well over 25 billion bucks...Yes he was attempting to ensure that an elite class continued for the next generation...but- - - This insurance policy caused more harm than good...There can not be an elite without a middle class..

Feminists who go on about "a woman's right to choose" should shut up and mind their own business what other men and woman do privately....There should be the right to choose prosperity..at this point...that right is fading....MONEY...is not about emotion- it is about human comfort.

You can have all the abortion rights you want- but if you are poor...you will tend to abort..if you are secure...You will not abort- abortion was designed for the poor...get my point?
Delusional much?

Feminists most definitely do not tell others what to do in their private lives. If you want babies.....have babies.....if you don't......don't. Feminists want each and every woman to make her own decision as to when and if she carries a pregnancy. People like you are the ones who want to make personal decisions for others.....by legislating your personal beliefs. Pro-lifers are the ones who need to shut up and mind their own business.

Were you born yesterday? Back in the "good ole days", before Roe v Wade, rich women were the only ones who had access to safe abortions. Yes, women with money abort.....women abort for reasons other than money.....like not wanting to go through a pregnancy and have a child.

Poor women, on the other hand, were at the mercy of back alley abortionists and that is where they will be again if Roe v Wade is overturned. But.....some people just don't care about THAT, do they?

WAKE UP.....banning abortion will not stop abortions.....it will only stop SAFE abortions. This is why the push to ban abortion is called a War On Women.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,733,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Delusional much?

Feminists most definitely do not tell others what to do in their private lives. If you want babies.....have babies.....if you don't......don't. Feminists want each and every woman to make her own decision as to when and if she carries a pregnancy. People like you are the ones who want to make personal decisions for others.....by legislating your personal beliefs. Pro-lifers are the ones who need to shut up and mind their own business.

Were you born yesterday? Back in the "good ole days", before Roe v Wade, rich women were the only ones who had access to safe abortions. Yes, women with money abort.....women abort for reasons other than money.....like not wanting to go through a pregnancy and have a child.

Poor women, on the other hand, were at the mercy of back alley abortionists and that is where they will be again if Roe v Wade is overturned. But.....some people just don't care about THAT, do they?

WAKE UP.....banning abortion will not stop abortions.....it will only stop SAFE abortions. This is why the push to ban abortion is called a War On Women.
That's exactly what my mother said in our conversation. The rich girls had a way to get a SAFE abortion pre-Roe v. Wade, and the rich women will continue to get the access they need if it is overturned. Is the middle class and poor that will live with the consequences of having an unintended pregnancy. The rich always have a way out. Oh, and my mom is not "against the rich". She upper-middle class herself and is a registered Republican.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,001,521 times
I have several reasons for voting against Romney:

He is a dilusional fool (Mormon) and a uninhibited liar.

He will allow poor women to become chattel.

He worships the God of Greed - Mammon.

His policies will bring on economic disaster for 99% of us.

But most importantly, he is a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies