Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The Air Force doesn't and the other branches are not being issued them in basic training either, but never mind all of that junk, how is this important in the grand scheme of life
Frankly it is no more important than 'binders' or Sandra Fluke. Bottom line is that Pres. Obama is not very attuned to things military. He could have come up with a better example than bayonets to make his point. Bayonets, like iron sights, are fading in importance but are far from obsolete.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:41 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Frankly it is no more important than 'binders' or Sandra Fluke. Bottom line is that Pres. Obama is not very attuned to things military. He could have come up with a better example than bayonets to make his point. Bayonets, like iron sights, are fading in importance but are far from obsolete.
One of my personal alltime favorites next to a Benchmade AFO.

It's ok folks...Obama says there isn't such a thing or any in use on National TV!

Microtech Socom Elite auto knife - YouTube

Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
As long as the lug is still there (which it is) on current issue M4s, Obama is not speaking the truth.

You do understand what the word "fewer" means? Or is it your argument that the bayonet plays the same role in combat doctrine as it did in the 19th Century and early 20th?

And how come you guys are arguing about all those horseless calvary divisions? And by all means try to build an argument that a few hundred horses (and I'm being generous) in Afghanistan is suppose to be the equivalent of calvary regiments prior even to WWII.

Please.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You do understand what the word "fewer" means? Or is it your argument that the bayonet plays the same role in combat doctrine as it did in the 19th Century and early 20th?

And how come you guys are arguing about all those horseless calvary divisions? And by all means try to build an argument that a few hundred horses (and I'm being generous) in Afghanistan is suppose to be the equivalent of calvary regiments prior even to WWII.

Please.
Oh....Obama and most of you would be very "supprized" at just how "few" ARE in use!

Benchmade 9052 AFO II - YouTube

Old 10-25-2012, 05:50 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Oh....Obama and most of you would be very "supprized" at just how "few" ARE in use!

Benchmade 9052 AFO II - YouTube

Wow, I didn't realize that is what a bayonet looked like. THAT looks like a knife to me.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Wow, I didn't realize that is what a bayonet looked like. THAT looks like a knife to me.
Yeah....a super highend switchblade is just "a knife". You have much to learn my son!

US Navy Seals Tribute - YouTube

Old 10-25-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Obama is a fool..............

Where are you GW Sir? Please.....God help us next month!

Microtech Halo 3 OTF Automatic Knife - YouTube

Cold Steel SRK Knife: Demonstration & Review - YouTube
You guys all missed this post way back too. You're slipping on me!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
A bayonet is just a knife mounted on a gun barrel. I think what RBG is trying to point out is that there is more importance attached to edged weapons now, not less. Navy Seals in particular are known to be obsessive when it comes to edged weapons.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I very well remember when Sputnik went up. The Soviets won by default though since the very vehicle that we used to get our first satellite up was in existence long before Sputnik was there. Our fool government had determined that the Air Force had to put the first satellite up and they were way behind the Army as the Army had that Atlas missile ready when the Soviets went first. I had spent my three years in the Army and was back in college, getting a MS at the time and I was sick at how it all happened. Not too long after that they decided that NASA should be created and in charge of space travel. That was a happy day. Yep, I was almost 25 when that happened and had been in college most of the early days of the Cold War. I really enjoyed "spying" on the Iron Curtain countries' military radio broadcasts. It was against international law but they were doing it to us all along, too. 1955 through summer of 1957 were my years and I loved doing what we did. I should have stayed because I loved the life and my job. However, I knew that to re-up would put me back in the states training others to do what I loved to do and I didn't want any of that.

My first time at voting I used to vote against Eisenhower since he wasn't a Democrat. When I had to vote a month early, absentee, I was sick when I found out that Stephenson was a dove. My dad voted for Eisenhower the first time because he promised to get an extra amount for people who had college kids. My brother were in college at the time and although I told my dad he was being taken he voted Republican the only time in his life. Boy was he mad when he failed to get his promised extra amount off his taxes. As I recall Eisenhower had a Republican Congress those first two years and got very little done. Then he accomplished a ton with Democrats in control of Congress.

The Cold War was really real no matter what some today think. I wonder if most libs of today will ever really know what that was all about. Probably not.
Thanks for the history. I wasn't much of a student at age 6. I know Dad was upset, but i didn't know why. he didn't mention any Russians and i thought the Sputnik was his

That is what he was working on after the War and partly in occupied Japan. he was over there and back ever couple weeks then, and would bring me hand cranked on a cable helicopters and or other items like harmonica's all saying 'made in occupied Japan'.

I was too small to understand what that meant. These toys were stamped out cheap junk with horrid paint jobs too, but at 6 i didn't know.

You are filling in some facts i never knew. I am a product of 1951 late in the year.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:34 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
One of the main features of the 1994 "assault weapons" ban was the prohibition of bayonet lugs, or bayonet attachment points, on rifles.

Pres. Obama has repeatedly stated his support for that law.

So which is it--bayonets are obsolete and no longer relevant, a la catapult, spear, etc. Or a deadly weapon that is ravaging our streets and must be banned? Which?
That WAS for imported rifles, and was Bidens doing, a fools set of law which has also sun set.

Obama doesn't know a toenail clipper from a pig sticker I fear. Neither does Joe Biden such a pair of fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies