Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the United States convert to the Metric system?
Yes, completely Metric units only. 85 43.81%
Include both Metric & English units everywhere. 33 17.01%
No, leave it the way it is now (English/Imperial units) 76 39.18%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,531,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
More than 70% of the world drivers on the right. Driving on the left is very silly, dangerous, confusing, and basically ridiculous. That's one of the reason I did not want to drive in the UK, and live there.
Aah there ya; go an authoritative analysis of the mechanics of driving on the left versus the right side of any thoroughfare.

Glad you cleared that up so we can now move onto metric versus imperial or metric versus any other method of measurement.

By the by; I have driven extensively in locales of either system and have to say the period of adjustment is VERY easy and with minimal time required for anyone with two or more functioning brain cells.

I haven't and won't bother, but perhaps you could google accident statistics for either of the right/left to ascertain which is inherently more dangerous in common practice.

You would of course have to adjust for traffic density as it relates to population.

I guarantee you one thing though; comparing a particular stretch of an M class highway in Britain with comparable traffic usage to ANY stretch of one of your Interstates for accident frequency and severity would make your eyes widen in disbelief. They are, in the main, far better drivers in the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,554,831 times
Quote:
Well I don't care, let them be unique. Although I feel bad for them...
Why??? People in the countries that drive on the left are quite happy with driving on left. I'm quite happy with driving on the left. Obviously you do care for some stupid reason. Has nothing to do with you.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,554,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aah there ya; go an authoritative analysis of the mechanics of driving on the left versus the right side of any thoroughfare.

Glad you cleared that up so we can now move onto metric versus imperial or metric versus any other method of measurement.

By the by; I have driven extensively in locales of either system and have to say the period of adjustment is VERY easy and with minimal time required for anyone with two or more functioning brain cells.

I haven't and won't bother, but perhaps you could google accident statistics for either of the right/left to ascertain which is inherently more dangerous in common practice.

You would of course have to adjust for traffic density as it relates to population.

I guarantee you one thing though; comparing a particular stretch of an M class highway in Britain with comparable traffic usage to ANY stretch of one of your Interstates for accident frequency and severity would make your eyes widen in disbelief. They are, in the main, far better drivers in the UK.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,418,556 times
They are both arbitrary scales. Both can measure with the same precision.

Being decimal, metric is a bit easier for 'simple folk' to wrap their heads around.

Metric is already the standard in the U.S. for Scientific (read: important) matters.

So, adoption of metric may be called for, but on the other hand, it could be seen as a form of cultural imperialism.

If the world converts to metric, should not the world convert to the English language, or any single language, perhaps a streamlined pidgin, for the same reason?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,255,876 times
Quote:
Metrication in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Currently the U.S. is the only country in the world (other than Burma & Liberia) that have not yet converted to the Metric (International System of Units) other than for scientific use. It is also the only nation using degrees Fahrenheit on weather forecast and for daily use. Both Canada and Australia converted to the metric system completely in the 1970s.

The U.S. do however include metric units along with English/Imperial system on products and speedometers, and use only metric units on medication, nutrition facts, science and few other things such as some bottled soda.

Weather forecast (temperature), road signs, weight & measure, and daily speech is all in English/Imperial system still in the U.S.

Do you believe it is time for the U.S. government to pass a law converting to the Metric system?

(PS! There are some very old threads regards to this, but since now it is time for election, and years have passed by, maybe people changed their mind (?) - Also this is with poll included)
So you're in favor of discreetly raising the price of gasoline? and milk, antifreeze, or anything currently measured in US gallons.

Hey, that's the answer to America's fiscal problems, charge more, get less, leave it to a capitalist.

How many liters are in one gallon

Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 AM

796 posts, read 1,164,495 times
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ystem/FndsKXLh

Online petition... close to 50,000 signatures

Old 06-06-2013, 05:20 PM

185 posts, read 193,917 times
Default Will the US ever convert to the metric system?

I cannot wait for that day....

Old 06-06-2013, 05:20 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,458,103 times
It will, but probably not until the current crop of dinosaurs in congress dies off.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,974,101 times
Oh, I think it will eventually happen ... probably by the year 2137.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,263,785 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies