Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Why is smoking weed a strictly liberal thing? Fact is I know plenty of all races and political persuasions that smoke weed, many do not even bother to hide it as long as they do not have drug tests at work. Fact is the only ones with a major issue with weed are the older generation of both parties, my grandparents on both sides view weed as an evil drug, my parents do not really care either, I have yet to meet anybody of my generation or younger that has a problem with weed.
It's not a liberal thing at all, like I said I know many Bush/Romney votes that smoke every single day.

However, I do think many Republican "conservatives" hide it so they are not perceived as evil liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Plenty of Republicans smoke pot. Starting with Arnold Schwarzenegger who admits to it. He was filmed taking a hit, or ten, in the documentary (he called it a docudrama) Pumping Iron clear back in 1977.

(The Republicans are the ones who say, "Just once. At a party. I tried it just to see what it was like. It had no effect on me.")

Forgot about "I didn't inhale" Clinton?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 PM

1,438 posts, read 780,003 times
According to Christopher Hitchens Clinton didn't inhale due to respiratory problems but loved the weed brownies while in England.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
I know a lot of right wingers who smoke. They also want it to be legal. I also know plenty of Democrats who are fanatically anti-drug. Marijuana doesn't fit well into the liberal-conservative paradigm. Interestingly some of the most conservative people I know are pro-pot because they think the federal government is taking too much power, and some of the most diehard liberal people I have met hate pot because they think pot and other drugs are destroying their communities.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:40 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,355 times
Smoked it so much it became a lifestyle. Even grew it and sold it. I'm a terrible drug dealer. Stopped having anything to do with it once I got married and had some children. It is not conducive to growing wealth and opportunity. Still think it ought to be legal for those who wish to use it. Moderate in politics, Romney voter this go around.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:44 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times
Check this out.

Quote:
Legalization activists held a Capitol event Tuesday to promote the support of former Republican Rep. Tom Tancredo. Tancredo says he's never used marijuana but find its prohibition "nanny-state" interference.

Also on hand were members of the Republican Liberty Caucus of Colorado, who back marijuana legalizations.

The conservatives cited states' rights while talking about marijuana....

Republicans support amendment to legalize marijuana : News : FOX21News.com

Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
I think it should be legalized and taxes collected on it. Two positives: decriminalizing it would mean fewer incarcerations and taxing it would raise revenue.

In addition, if legalized, then folks could grow it and make money off it legally, so that would help the economy, as well.

As for Republicans smoking pot . . . of course they smoke pot. It is really like alcohol these days. People of all political affiliations are as apt to smoke pot and drink alcohol as not -- it has nada to do with political affiliation.

Someone else mentioned drug testing and keeping a job . . . yes, that is very true. I know people who WOULD smoke pot - but they can't - b/c of random drug testing in the workplace. It's not worth losing your license or job over.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:52 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
I don't and never have.

And I oppose legalization.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:40 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
I fully support legalization. I'm conservative, but only fiscally. I truly believe fiscal issues are the most important in national elections.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:14 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Just curious. Have any studies been done on the political makeup of weed smokers?

William F. Buckley alwaysed seemed high to me
I certainly wish that they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies