Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,953,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If you think about this..... now that the child is born liberals feel taxpayer's should take care of the child, but all in the same breath they're satisfied when someone aborts. Some of the comments that came from the left about Palin's child, some even felt Sarah should have aborted. She didn't even need government money to pay for her child, yet some made it their quest to let the rest of us know Trig should not have been born. Just amazes me how the "left" can claim to love life more than others.

I feel this should be left up to charity from churches and other organizations that provide this help and the state......each state should have some kind of funding, which for the most part is called welfare, it now works for those "who qualify and those that don't."....."those that are legal and those that are illegal."
If possible they should get Health Insurance, this is where pre-existing should work, but it doesn't and ObamaCare hasn't changed this one bit. Now it's worse you can have pre-existing conditions, just don't ask for better care and by the way the price is out of your price range. Thanks to ALL those supporters of ObamaCare!!!

I'm Republican and this child is now one of the poor that Jesus speaks of......not the one that has chosen to receive more unemployment than they paid into, then stay out of work to receive 99 more weeks. Or the person who doesn't want the McDonald's job until they can find a better job....... The student that complains their student loan is to high when they made the personal decision to go into debt, but now want the rest of us to pay their bill. These are not the POOR..........
So, charity and the taxpayer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,967,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So, charity and the taxpayer
Charities have always done this and welfare exists, so as for now we're all paying whether we like it or not. If the correct people like this child were to use welfare properly we wouldn't have this mess in the first place. Honesty goes along way, it's becoming a forgotten art in the United States and it's people.

As a taxpaying Republican I have no problem paying for children, the truly disabled, special needs, and seniors who can no longer provide for their selves........ the rest of ya can get to work.

If you have an idea to abolish welfare by all means get busy, this would deter many from getting pregnant in the first place..........

Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Charities have always done this and welfare exists, so as for now we're all paying whether we like it or not. If the correct people like this child were to use welfare properly we wouldn't have this mess in the first place. Honesty goes along way, it's becoming a forgotten art in the United States and it's people.

As a taxpaying Republican I have no problem paying for children, the truly disabled, special needs, and seniors who can no longer provide for their selves........ the rest of ya can get to work.

If you have an idea to abolish welfare by all means get busy, this would deter many from getting pregnant in the first place..........
But, this child's parents should be paying for her. Why should I have to do it?

Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
But we're not "saving" this baby, just prolonging the inevitable.

I agree with the essence of your second paragraph - I would not like to be the person who has to make the yes or no decision.

FWIW, doctors in conjunction with parents often make the decision to let nature (god) take its course with babies born with severe mental and physical defects.

I would not consider Down's Syndrome to be a severe mental/physical defect.
Well...for Down Syndrome...it is the same thing..often, expensive medical procedures for a child who is going to die anyway...some people would consider a Down Syndrome child in the same class...mentally retarded...drain on resources, better spent some place else.

As for doctors helping parents make decisions, about multiply impaired babies...it usually happens that less educated folk want the baby to live. They believe that a miracle will occur...more educated people...have a more rational viewpoint. It really comes down to values.

Heaven help a doctor who does not do everything to save a multiply impaired child the parents want to live...it is not worth his or her career to make a judgement call.

I have seen the parents who prayed for a "miracle"...end up with a child who cannot move, see, hear, swallow, or any other basic function of daily living. They ask why no one told them...we did....they just did not want to hear it.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:06 PM

15,556 posts, read 10,549,254 times
"Should the government (tax payers) cover the very high costs of Pearl Joy's medical needs?"

No, we should not be paying, this couple knew what they were getting into. Let them pay it out for the rest of their lives. The only area of PG related assistance that I would not object to is for unmarried first time mothers with high risk pregnancies. I pretty much draw the line before and after that.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,004,695 times
I can be a cold SOB......

"The Browns never considered abortion. They believe that Pearl is "fearfully and wonderfully made," as Psalm 139 puts it, and God alone should decide when she lives and when she dies."

So why is the state paying for anything? To me it looks like the state is standing in the way of God.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,113,846 times
First, I don't think they should be criticized for not taking the doctors advice about aborting this baby. I am pro choice and believe that has to be a decision that belongs to the parents alone. Doctors are not always right about what they see before a baby is born. I think we should always remember that and that most of us will never be in a position to have to make a judgement call like this one.

Yes, I think this baby should receive care. I also believe the family can find a way for her to qualify through the system and get it and there are also children's charities and hospitals that people donate money to to help these kids. Things like this happen in life and some of you are so wrong about what all conservatives think.

I think I speak for most conservatives in that unlike far left people we can see a difference between the helpless and the clueless. This is a helpless baby. Can you really not see the difference between her and the able bodied people that only are out to game the system to their advantage and make welfare a lifestyle choice? And really, it would be so much easier to provide care to people like her if we could pull the plug on the clueless.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
First, I don't think they should be criticized for not taking the doctors advice about aborting this baby. I am pro choice and believe that has to be a decision that belongs to the parents alone. Doctors are not always right about what they see before a baby is born. I think we should always remember that and that most of us will never be in a position to have to make a judgement call like this one.

Yes, I think this baby should receive care. I also believe the family can find a way for her to qualify through the system and get it and there are also children's charities and hospitals that people donate money to to help these kids. Things like this happen in life and some of you are so wrong about what all conservatives think.

I think I speak for most conservatives in that unlike far left people we can see a difference between the helpless and the clueless. This is a helpless baby. Can you really not see the difference between her and the able bodied people that only are out to game the system to their advantage and make welfare a lifestyle choice? And really, it would be so much easier to provide care to people like her if we could pull the plug on the clueless.
But the parents are not helpless or clueless. The made their choice and the taxpayer gets to pay for it.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,586,670 times
Quote:
But, this child's parents should be paying for her. Why should I have to do it?
Why should I pay for your childs education, they're your kids, and you chose to have them? Why should we pay for the birth expenses of a female on welfare? We are a compassionate nation, that's why. There are a lot of expenditures to get riled up about, this isn't one of them. Consider these, if you're looking for a cause to raise your blood pressure.

12 Outrageous Wastes of Taxpayers’ Money | Shrinkage Is Good

Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,113,846 times
Quote:
But the parents are not helpless or clueless. The made their choice and the taxpayer gets to pay for it.
I say we do it because are a compassionate people here in the US. Not to mention most people that have a special needs child do not know it will be so until after it is born and you are only one bad accident away from having special needs yourself. No, the parents are not helpless, but this is bigger than they can ever pay for. Does it have to happen to you or someone you love in order for you to understand this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies