Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:52 AM

54 posts, read 430,382 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between a Democrat and a Republican? What is the difference between them? Why not just be an Independent? After all, our Constitution is all about being individual thinkers? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 PM

841 posts, read 2,261,730 times
Who are Democrats/Liberals

Virtually every step forward in our history has been a liberal initiative taken over conservative opposition: civil rights, Social Security, Medicare, rural electrification, the establishment of a minimum wage, guaranteed bank deposits, the Federal Reserve, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Food and Drug Administration, the National Park Service, the National School Lunch Program, the Voting Rights Act, collective bargaining, the Pure Food and Drug Act, and federal aid to education, including the land-grant colleges, to name just a few. Many of these innovations were eventually embraced by conservatives only after it became clear that they had overwhelming public approval for the simple reason that almost every American benefited from them. Every one of these liberal efforts strengthened our democracy and our quality of life. Democrats/liberals are the party of the people as its history attests.

Democrats/liberals exhort job training and retraining programs, both public and private, while Republicans/neocons cut funding. These are indispensable in an era when trade and technology bring rapid change to the job market, and these programs need constant retooling and reexamination.

Cutting education in the Information Age is like cutting defense at the height of the Cold War. The cold hard truth is that many students who are unable to go to college will end up on welfare, on the street, or in jail if they aren’t subsequently taught skills now in demand.

Democrats/liberals think low wages are a problem. Republicans/Neocons think low wages are a solution.

JFK said “If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.”

Some of the democrats’ achievements:
GI Bills
Earned Income Tax Credit
Americorps
Peace Corps
Head Start
FEMA
Human Genome Project
Clean Water Act
Medicaid Medicare
Brady Law
Ban on CFCs
Direct Student Loans
WIC
Social Security
Meals on Wheels

Who are Reps/Neocons?

Conservatives curse the middle and working poor class and refer to them as useless to the economy. It is the labor performed by poor as well as middle-class persons that makes possible this nation’s productivity and wealth, including job opportunities. Where would Wal Mart be without the middle and working poor class? Not on the Dow.

Republicans unclear philosophy claims the rich will work harder if given more breaks and the poor will work harder if given fewer breaks.

Republicans have and will continue to cut programs that help parents with children get food stamps, provide breakfasts and lunches for low-income schoolchildren, nutrition for poor pregnant women and infants and the Medicaid program which offers healthcare for millions of ill and disabled children. They want to eradicate proven programs like the Family Leave Act, Head Start, childcare, earned-income tax credits and affordable housing for low-paid workers.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
At first I thought I might expose the differences between the two parties, but I know that would just start a war. Few on either side have a clear picture of their 'opposite' and the most vociferous are in need of the thickest glasses (note: california_is_superior's outline is quite accurate in my opinion).

Rather than explain the differences (which I can't do with precision) I felt it would be better to address your third option. Perhaps it makes the most sense for people to boldly declare their independence from both parties. Let them fight for our support for a change. Let them stand by their podiums without a script, waiting for us to tell them what to say. Force them to listen to our actual needs and wants.

Neither party has its feet firmly planted in reality. Both have been chiseled into their present shape by corporate money to appear to be opposites when in fact they are nothing but Potemkin villages, holograms of ideologies designed to give us the illusion of choice. Both party platforms are not even completely supported by their own members. Many Democrats oppose illegal amnesty and many Republicans support a woman's right to choose. Virtually everyone sits somewhere in the middle between these two overly simplified conceptual 'opposites'.

By declaring independence, you get to call the shots, you get to pick and choose which issues are important to you. En masse, such a tactic would quickly force our real values to the top where they can be examined and incorporated into some new political movement divorced from corporate influence.

eh...I'm an idealist.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:20 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,191,469 times
Actually the Republican Party is responsible for one of the greatest of all...the 14th Amendment.

It is also NOT responsible for most of the nanny legislation.

Quote:
Founded in 1854 by anti-slavery expansion activists and modernizers, the Republican Party rose to prominence with the election of Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president
Quote:
The Democratic Party traces its origins to the Democratic-Republican Party, founded by Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and other influential opponents of the Federalists in 1792.
To me, an Independent is one who votes the person and not the party. Liz

Old 07-08-2007, 03:27 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,346,709 times
Democrat and Republican Party are all mostly crooks. I am an independent and vote for whom I think is the one to the BEST job, not a party. I voted for Reps, Dems, and Indys.

The problem with a party is that it does not think outside the box and be objective. It is all mostly along party lines. All they do is "by crook" and show nothing but petty bickering.

Many people I know could not understand, if you voted for a Dem here, how can you for doe a Rep there. Again, I vote for the best person, not on party lines. I never get people who go to a poll and just vote all Reps or Dems without knowing nothing about them. To me, this is not a vote, it is a disgrace.

Many vote based on TV ads, which are sponsored by the organizations with the big $$$ and lobbyists. People should take a quiz and pass on the issues/candidates before being allowed to vote.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Actually the Republican Party is responsible for one of the greatest of all...the 14th Amendment.
Liz
I TRULLY HOPE YOU DONE BELIEVE THIS NONSENSE

Democrats/Republicans have flip-flopped positions throughout history.
Conservatives/Liberals have not.

If you think the current "Republicans" of today would be the ones freeing the slaves, you need to check up on your history. The South has flip-flopped from being Republicans to Democrats throughout the course of US history, but their values have remained the same.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
If you think the current "Republicans" of today would be the ones freeing the slaves, you need to check up on your history. The South has flip-flopped from being Republicans to Democrats throughout the course of US history, but their values have remained the same.
I didn't say CURRENT Republicans, I stated the Republican PARTY. Check YOUR history. it was the Republican Party of Abe Lincoln who passed the 14th Amendment.

And what has the South's position have to do with anything? Yes, I am very aware they have been Democrat and are now basically Republican, SO? That has nothing to do with anything I said.

And while California may be superior, it also has a REPUBLICAN governor. Go figure. Liz

Old 07-08-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I didn't say CURRENT Republicans, I stated the Republican PARTY. Check YOUR history. it was the Republican Party of Abe Lincoln who passed the 14th Amendment.

And what has the South's position have to do with anything? Yes, I am very aware they have been Democrat and are now basically Republican, SO? That has nothing to do with anything I said.

And while California may be superior, it also has a REPUBLICAN governor. Go figure. Liz
you obviously missed my point

PS you seem to be proud of the current/past democratic ideology

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-08-2007 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 07-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
PS you seem to be proud of the current/past democratic ideology
Considering I am a Republican, that is odd. Liz

Old 07-08-2007, 05:46 PM

793 posts, read 3,122,981 times
Democrat: Nannying, spending, and taxing
Republican: Nannying, spending, and spending (with a few select exceptions)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies