Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 AM

13,700 posts, read 9,026,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I cannot believe the number of people that think getting SSI or SSDI is an easy path out of unemployment. I've been denied several times for SSI in the past 2 1/2 years, finally resulting in an administrative judge denying my claims. I am debating seeking an appeal with a federal judge at this point, outside Social Security's administration. This will take another year. The process is long, hard, and often their standards of what jobs are available are unrealistic. I've really resigned myself to have "failed" in the eyes of most of the masses of this country and I feel the need to cut myself off emotionally from "ordinary life" except for a few friends.. They will never understand how unfair the system is as long as people are blinded by ideological propaganda that portrays SSI and SSDI as just another "welfare" program full of "dead beats".

I was diagnosed with Asperger's, an autism spectrum disorder, 3 years ago, and I've had lifelong battles with depresion. I now have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, and I've been hospitalized 3 times in the past 3 years for psychiatric reasons. But I was still denied. I expected a fair hearing from Judge Ann Adzell but her report is full of subtle libel against my family and erroneous interpretations of my doctors' and therapists' medical reports stemming either from ignorance or malice. The whole thing makes me sick. I'm 36, never worked a day for pay in my adult life due to disability, and I'll have to wait another year at least to get the money I wanted to be able to live on my own and help out my girlfriend and/or my family to support me, and to pay for my medical debts.

I shall speak purely to the practical aspects of your posting:

You have sixty (60) days to appeals the ALJ decision to the Appeals Council. Only if the AC denies review will you be allowed to file suit in a Federal District Court (with, again, a 60 day time limit).

You may, pending appeal, file a new set of applications. If the time for appeal has expired, then simply file new applications for disability.

If you have never worked, then I do not see where you would be insured for disability benefits under Title II of the Social Security Act.

As another has noted, in order to be eligible for supplemental security income benefits under Title XVI of the Act, you must meet the income/resource limitations, since it is a 'needs based' program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,675,949 times
It took my friend with serious medical issues (colostomy bag, catheter, could not stand for more than 10 minutes) 3 years and 1 appeal to get SSDI of around $1k/mo. He died 2 months later.

No one is exactly living the high life on SSDI.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
1. Be a minority.
2. Act crazy at the hearing.
3. The paperwork was done incorrectly.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,428,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It took my friend with serious medical issues (colostomy bag, catheter, could not stand for more than 10 minutes) 3 years and 1 appeal to get SSDI of around $1k/mo. He died 2 months later.

No one is exactly living the high life on SSDI.
A freelance programmer could pull down $1k a month without even trying.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,675,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I don't think you understand how sick he was. It was enough to kill him. He could not even get into bed without assistance, he spent the last 6 months of his life on the couch.

Luckily he had a fantastic wife there to support him financially, emotionally, and psychically or I don't know what he'd have done

Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Have you ever heard the word retirement?

People "laying around" in nursing homes are generally not well and physically impaired often from many years of hard labor!!

VERY. VERY FEW 80yr olds are spry and sharp as 30 yr olds!!! Growing old has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative. Wow. you have really been brainwashed!

Have you ever been to a retirement community? Even wealthy retired people get tired and many are on walkers.
The idea that no one over 80 has working brain cells is a myth and a stereotype, my grandfather didn't retire until age 84 but yes, he was pretty much forced out.

Working is what helps keep people spry and sharp, compare those over 75 who are still working with those over 75 who are laying around doing nothing at all day.

My neighbor was still out on a tractor at age 84 -- happy as could be to be up and out working, doing something productive. Come to think of it -- driving a tractor could be good for someone with Aspergers who doesn't like being around people.
How can liberals see working and staying productive as so terrible?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
Quote:
Well then why don't you help me out - I'm in the beginning stages of forming a nonprofit that will teach programming to chronically ill young adults. I am looking for advisors in the tech world who will step up and help give this population marketable skills that can be completed from a bed, couch, or hospital room. Many people who are chronically ill suffer from cognitive impairment from medications, their diseases, stress, or fatigue. With cancer, we call in chemo brain.

The logic behind programming can help fight this impairment, but also means that it is much harder for us to learn programming than the average person. I took an XML class shortly after I ended chemo and it might be the hardest intellectual exercise I have done in my life - and I know that prior to getting cancer, it would have been easier for me to wrap my head around.

Have you ever had a chronic illness? If you didn't know how to program before you got sick, it is very difficult to learn. Imagine that you have a really bad cold - your brain is foggy, you feel awful, and you are more tired than normal. Now imagine that feeling never really goes away. That's chronic illness.

But really, anyone who would like to help me build a system to give young adults with life threatening, life challenging, or life changing illness a way to support themselves from home, I'd welcome feedback and advice.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM

25,853 posts, read 16,555,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
And? What is your point? Why should my tax dollar go to pay for you? By your own admission, you haven't paid a dime into a system you are complaining about and want money from. How is your "disability" MY financial problem?
Well PHIL, that's how the system works.

-Why should I pay fuel tax for the freeways you drive on?
-Why should I pay taxes for the military that protects you?
-Why should I subsidize ANYTHING that you take advantage of?

Because this is a United States of America with a common government set up for the common good.

Just because you are healthy and maybe wealthy today does not mean you will be tomorrow.

Have you ever heard the bible verse "If not for the grace of God, there go I"? That's one that right wingers who wave the bible around for votes conveniently forget almost always.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,758,236 times
Quote:
There are people who need help. The blind. Chronic illness. Mentally ill. As a society we have a moral responsibility to assist and care. Statistics dictate they are a small portion of the population. Over the last few decades something has changed: millions of people are now disabled. What's changed?
What has changed is the qualifications to get SS dis, you used to have to be truly disabled, now if you have a frigging hangnail and keep appealing, you will probably get SSD. I know of about 7 people who are quite capable of working, who collect, hell, if you have a limp you can qualify. The one girl I know told me she faked mental illness at the doctor appointment, she acted nutty and the doctor approved it. It is the new welfare! BTW, all are under 50, except one, Hell most are under 40.

Last edited by Ghostrider275452; 11-05-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,758,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
sorry. i find that very difficult to believe. exactly what kind of work does she do? and with all those disabilities WHY are you allowing her to work at 72?

It's absurd to let a 72yr old woman with that list of disabilities work at all. You guys trying to work her to death?
Maybe she wants to work, not like a certain segment of society. Some people actually like to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies