Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
It is a free country and you can boy cott if that is your conviction, myself I choose not too and never ask myself when shopping do they pay health insurance? or what they pay? The contract that the employee and employer have is really not my concern and should not be.

You know the old saying of every action there is a re action and you do not need a chrystal ball to predict the employers would respond to protect and increase their profit margins. I agree with the other poster that said there should be a divorce between the employee/ employer marriage. I think this issue belongs to the states to come up with their own solutions. Seeing how the federal gvt has made a huge mess of the issue what do we have to lose.
Bottom line on my end is, there are plenty of successful companies that boast huge profits while still providing their low skill, low to medium wage employees health insurance (or even a limited package), as part of their compensation. Morals and ethics involved in my (and most likely their) viewpoint.

As I posted earlier, Walmart costs taxpayers $1.02 billion dollars per year in health related costs as they consistently engage in this part-time practice to avoid paying benefits, and pay workers minimum wage, meaning these Walmart employees end up highly dependent on government subsidies (not just healthcare, but food stamps too). If Walmart was a business in financial trouble, I could maybe justify this; but, when you are boasting billion dollar profits per year, the alarm bells sound.

Lastly, not sure how the federal government has made a 'mess' of the system; Obamacare, Romneycare in MA, Hillary's earlier plans, all tried / are trying to address the issue that we spend more than any other industrialized country on health care, and, despite this, consistently have lower rankings on health outcomes than our international counterparts spending much less. Further, these programs, with their flaws, are at least trying to correct the dysfunctional system that is unsustainable.

Further, just in case you weren't aware, Massachusetts, was the first state to ever enact a health insurance mandate, while Romney was governor.

Massachusetts health care reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
[quote=MobileVisitor09;26807715]As I posted earlier, Walmart costs taxpayers $1.02 billion dollars per year in health related costs as they consistently engage in this part-time practice to avoid paying benefits, and pay workers minimum wage, meaning these Walmart employees end up highly dependent on government subsidies (not just healthcare, but food stamps too). If Walmart was a business in financial trouble, I could maybe justify this; but, when you are boasting billion dollar profits per year, the alarm bells sound./quote]

WM makes 4 cents per dollar of revenue, far less than 80% of US corps. They insure 51% of all employees here, I've read Target insures 40%, industry average is in 40s. That means they beat their biggest FINANCIALLY SOUND competitor and industry overall in percentage insured.

PS, Kroger Inc is HUGE, owning such chains as Alberts in California. They are #1 in the industry. Kroger itself is just a small slice of the overall corp.

You were saying?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Companies have 2 main objectives to increase profits and cut expenses. They are not in bussiness to make sure you have health insurance, if you understand that why would you boycot them?
Ethics. If decent treatment of employees becomes a market advantage, more organizations will start treating their people better.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ethics. If decent treatment of employees becomes a market advantage, more organizations will start treating their people better.
That is true. Much of Starbucks senior mgmt/Board did NOT want Health Care for p/t btw; Schultz pushed it through. He estimated coffee prices charged would go up around a nickel per cup over the issue. Market share for them rose.

But unlike retail, Starbucks IMO is selling image as much as product. Shabby treatment would harm that image.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Good reason NOT to shop Kroegers.
And 300,000 reasons to shop at Wal Mart Wal-Mart heir gives $300,000 to Obama super PAC - Washington Times

And don't forget Kroger is a union company unlike Wal-Mart who will not bargain. UPDATE: Kroger Union Workers Accept New Contract

Why do you hate unions? Why do you hate the middle class just because they organize? Go ahead, shop at Wal-Mart, scabass!

Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Costco does rather well paying their employees $19 an hour. Unlike Walmart/Sam`s Club their employees don`t steal from them and they don`t have to keep training new employees.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Doug Ross @ Journal: EXCLUSIVE-RED ALERT: Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties

Last week we found out that, beginning in January, any employee who is not full-time at that point, will be limited to 28 hours per week and all new hires will be subject to the same policy.
Glad their employees know WHY it is happening.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:06 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Glad their employees know WHY it is happening.
And if they`re smart they`ll support some form of universal healthcare.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Kroger will still need the man hours so will hire more people to fill that need. You know, hire more part time employees. Typical PGH non-issue.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Doug Ross @ Journal: EXCLUSIVE-RED ALERT: Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties

Last week we found out that, beginning in January, any employee who is not full-time at that point, will be limited to 28 hours per week and all new hires will be subject to the same policy.
this is happening and will continue to happen all over the place. That and work from home as independent contractors, the future as we will see it with Obamacare. Now, I wonder how the pro Obamacare supporters are going to feel when it is their job or the job their kid just got out of college...Or the forced early retirement before elegibility for medicare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies