Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalSanctuaryMan View Post
Can someone point out why tax breaks are given for married couples? Is it simply traditional habit and or a de facto monetary support for a cultural institution deemed necessary and deserves a bonus when done?

I can see a small obligatory tax break for newborns up to maybe 5-6 years old, but why subsidize children & other dependents until they no longer be listed as dependents? That sort of arithmetic seems easy to abuse for fraudulent claims via tax refunds or unremitted tax revenue. Honestly, if the government must subsidize child-rearing why procreate if you can't afford to?
If you get an exemption for yourself -- then of course people with kids get their kids' exemptions until the kids are old enough to support themselves and become their own exemptions.

What you should question are those EITC checks where people who paid in no taxes get some big "refund" check back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalSanctuaryMan View Post
Can someone point out why tax breaks are given for married couples? Is it simply traditional habit and or a de facto monetary support for a cultural institution deemed necessary and deserves a bonus when done?

I can see a small obligatory tax break for newborns up to maybe 5-6 years old, but why subsidize children & other dependents until they no longer be listed as dependents? That sort of arithmetic seems easy to abuse for fraudulent claims via tax refunds or unremitted tax revenue. Honestly, if the government must subsidize child-rearing why procreate if you can't afford to?
First, let me say I'm married with kids. I don't think there should be ANY deductions for people living in my household. It's none of the government's business how many kids I have and it's not up to anyone else to subsidize me having them (however, given the tax rates I pay, I'm taking anything they're stupid enough to give as a deduction) nor do I care to subsidize someone else having kids. The tax laws are archaic here. This predates birth control.

Unfortunately, the deductions for my kids doesn't eliminate the marriage penalty we pay because we both work (way to encourage people taking responsibility and paying for ther own kids there). However, when dh retires, we'll be able to divorce for tax purposes. He'll pay next to nothing because he's on social security and will claim one child so he can claim single head of household. I'll pay next to nothing because I'll be claiming single head of household by claiming the other child and will take all the deductions. I guess someone else will have to pay for the nanny state... If they're going to be stupid, I'm going to take advantage of their stupidity.

We wouldn't need deductions and loop holes if we had a flat tax. Taxes would me much easier to do as well. Line A - What did you earn. Line B multiply what you earned by 15%. Write a check. Done.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I will donate to charity but I'll be selective. Food pantries around here are a joke -- it's just people who sold their food stamps or eat far more than anyone should eat. You even see grown men showing up to get their bags of free food.

It's not really good to become an enabler who only helps people be lazy.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:58 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You even see grown men showing up to get their bags of free food.
Grown men aren't allowed to eat?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:15 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
I'm pretty careful about which charities I give donations too. If the receiving party is not of the same demographic I tend to not give them anything. I don't see much gain for me by giving to people that hate me because of my race.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I'm pretty careful about which charities I give donations too. If the receiving party is not of the same demographic I tend to not give them anything. I don't see much gain for me by giving to people that hate me because of my race.
Its not only people hating you because of your race. It's people hating you because you have something they don't. I agree, they voted to take it away so I guess there is nothing to give any longer. Obama will take care of them anyway. They won't need our help any longer.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If anyone believes that someone so committed to charitable giving that they'd give $10,000 a year is going to cancel that giving based on an election, those people aren't thinking very clearly.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
If anyone believes that someone so committed to charitable giving that they'd give $10,000 a year is going to cancel that giving based on an election, those people aren't thinking very clearly.
Redistributive policies inherently create factions and social strife sometimes by design. By keeping the “peasants” squabbling over table scraps that are not theirs by right in the first place, the people in power can continue to rob us, our children, and grandchildren blind with debt-ballooning, inflation-inducing unconstitutional spending.

There simply is no way to take the fruits of one’s labor for another’s enrichment without inviting deep-running resentment, anger, and discord from the targeted group. You would think the lessons associated with American slavery would illustrate this well enough for posterity.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Redistributive policies inherently create factions and social strife sometimes by design. By keeping the “peasants” squabbling over table scraps that are not theirs by right in the first place, the people in power can continue to rob us, our children, and grandchildren blind with debt-ballooning, inflation-inducing unconstitutional spending.

There simply is no way to take the fruits of one’s labor for another’s enrichment without inviting deep-running resentment, anger, and discord from the targeted group. You would think the lessons associated with American slavery would illustrate this well enough for posterity.
This is nonsense. The majority of Americans of all income levels support the spending of the federal government. There is no robbing going on. So far there has been little inflation.

And if someone is interested in the debt ballooning then they certainly wouldn't support the Republican party.

The hyperbole about government spending is just foolish. Why can't we deal with the reality of where our federal dollars get spent.

It's not mostly going to the poor.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Tell me, putting aside the user funded programs, SS, Medicare, SSDI, unemployement, worker comp, etc, what is the PERCENTAGE cost of the remaining "social aid" programs? I'm guessing government spending for those programs are rather small %wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies