Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,791,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
This is where y'all keep getting it wrong. The majority of people who voted for Obama didn't vote for him because we want hand outs. We voted for him because we want and value the following things:

1. Fair taxation for ALL people. No loopholes, no obscene tax breaks while the middle class break their backs to get by.

2. Freedom from religious oppression. Everyone in this country is entitled to their own religious beliefs. That does not mean that you get to force your views on everyone else.

3. Civil liberties for all including minorities, gays and women. And no, these groups do not have the same rights as privileged whites so don't even start. It blows my mind how oppressive a group of people can be to another. How bout live and let live?

If Romney had less of a social agenda and a better economic plan (and not talk out both sides of his mouth), I could have gotten behind him and voted for him. When will you Republicans learn that your party is a thing of the past and y'all are gonna need to update your platforms or die off and become a fringe group?
Elections have consequences, enjoy the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
This is where y'all keep getting it wrong. The majority of people who voted for Obama didn't vote for him because we want hand outs. We voted for him because we want and value the following things:

1. Fair taxation for ALL people. No loopholes, no obscene tax breaks while the middle class break their backs to get by.

2. Freedom from religious oppression. Everyone in this country is entitled to their own religious beliefs. That does not mean that you get to force your views on everyone else.

3. Civil liberties for all including minorities, gays and women. And no, these groups do not have the same rights as privileged whites so don't even start. It blows my mind how oppressive a group of people can be to another. How bout live and let live?

If Romney had less of a social agenda and a better economic plan (and not talk out both sides of his mouth), I could have gotten behind him and voted for him. When will you Republicans learn that your party is a thing of the past and y'all are gonna need to update your platforms or die off and become a fringe group?
^^^^GREAT post. Not understanding this is going to cost the Republican party bigtime.

I used to vote mostly Republican because I am conservative in certain areas and more liberal in others, but in the past decade or so, I've watched the party turn into this freak show.

For the record, I am white, female, Christian, NEVER even took unemployment or had to--I've been with my same employer for 33 years, and I make just over $100K (which doesn't go quite so far in NNJ as it does in some parts of the country, but I have everything I need so I'm not complaining.) I'm paying for my daughter's college education because we're not eligible for anything but loans.

Do you not have black, Latino, Asian, Jewish, Hindu, atheist, Muslim friends/neighbors/coworkers? Do you not ever get to see/hear things from THEIR point of view? Are you so weak in your Christian faith that you think you need the pizz-ant laws of a human government in order to live it?

And everything portyhead24 said in 1, 2, 3 above.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 AM

38,070 posts, read 22,234,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Either/or. Same difference, same endgame. My reply remains unchanged: If you can't be bothered to give to the poor because they voted D, instead of R, your heart was never in the right place to begin with. Profoundly sad.
I've made it plain, it's not D vs R, I'm not a Republican, and i did not vote for Romney because he was a Republican. But go ahead and make this about party politics if you like, I no longer expect any intelligent thought from 0bama voters anyway.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Marriage Penalty: where a married couple with exactly the same income as 2 single people pay a higher rate of taxes. It will exist again once the tax cuts expire just like it did before they were in place.

And after paying more taxes than a single for most of my working years, when I retire and claim SS, I'll get to help pay for the people who are single again. After all, a married couple gets 75% of the SS benefits drawn by 2 single people and yet we will have paid the same amount in SS taxes along the way. Of course, DH and I figured out long ago a "divorce" will be in our best interests just prior to retirement so we don't have to pay yet another penalty for being married.

And, don't fret that you had anything to do with paying for my kids in any way. Not even for their education.
If you have insurance, I pay for your kids.
You use streets and other infrastructure, I pay for that, too.
You dump plastic and diapers into landfills, yep, I pay.
Extra burden on the planet, you don't bear that alone.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:13 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,831,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh? They went K-college at private schools that didn't take a dime of federal money? No school lunch programs or grants or anything?
Nope and no child care credits either.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If you have insurance, I pay for your kids.
You use streets and other infrastructure, I pay for that, too.
You dump plastic and diapers into landfills, yep, I pay.
Extra burden on the planet, you don't bear that alone.
And I pay for insurance for other people's kids too.
I too pay for streets and infrastructure.
We ALL dump plastic into landfills and I used cloth diapers.
Extra burden on the planet, you don't bear it alone either.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
Nope and no child care credits either.
There are only a few colleges which accept NO federal money. Where did your kids go to college?

Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are only a few colleges which accept NO federal money. Where did your kids go to college?
One has to qualify for Federal money. We didn't.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
One has to qualify for Federal money. We didn't.
Tell me where your kids went to college. There are two colleges known to take NO federal money, including federal loan money. Methinks someone went to the University of North Carolina, which is a PUBLIC college that takes both state and federal money.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,319,530 times
Quote:
And I pay for insurance for other people's kids too.
I too pay for streets and infrastructure.
We ALL dump plastic into landfills and I used cloth diapers.
Extra burden on the planet, you don't bear it alone either.
Nice deflection.
If you make affirmative breeding choices then others support you.
I didn't say I bear it alone, your kid's burden is shared by many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies