Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:26 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Omg, Cons are pissed off once again...
at what? you have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i actually LIKE high speed rail, but it wont be a reality until airline ticket prices go up rather substantially in price making rail travel more economically feasible.
Depends on where it is used and how it is used. High speed rail will work best in high traffic areas where there is a high level of commuting between two cities. Portland to Seattle could sustain high speed rail because there is a high volume of traffic between the two cities with cars, trains, and planes now. The Northeast is another great example for high speed rail. I-95 is basically a parking lot from NYC to Boston.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends on where it is used and how it is used. High speed rail will work best in high traffic areas where there is a high level of commuting between two cities. Portland to Seattle could sustain high speed rail because there is a high volume of traffic between the two cities with cars, trains, and planes now. The Northeast is another great example for high speed rail. I-95 is basically a parking lot from NYC to Boston.
the problem though is that with the federal government heavily subsidizing the airlines, high speed passenger rail service is going to be a luxury mode of travel at best, even between cities with high commuter traffic.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
the problem though is that with the federal government heavily subsidizing the airlines, high speed passenger rail service is going to be a luxury mode of travel at best, even between cities with high commuter traffic.
Not at all. I suspect it is a case of "if they build it, they will come". Why? Because the demand is huge.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Why must this be the case? European air travel isn't unaffordable, yet high-speed trains have taken on a serious percentage of the inter-city passenger transport.

I used to travel Hamburg-Frankfurt-Munich for work all the time, and of my 3 options - flight, autobahn or train - I by far preferred the train. Frequent, comfortable, center-to-center and nobody opened my luggage.

Or one can look at the Paris-London train link - why fly?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why must this be the case? European air travel isn't unaffordable, yet high-speed trains have taken on a serious percentage of the inter-city passenger transport.

I used to travel Hamburg-Frankfurt-Munich for work all the time, and of my 3 options - flight, autobahn or train - I by far preferred the train. Frequent, comfortable, center-to-center and nobody opened my luggage.

Or one can look at the Paris-London train link - why fly?
oddly enough the european model is the one we should be following. the problem here is that the airlines are heavily subsidized by the feds, but rail isnt. i think we should eliminate the airline subsidies, and that would raise ticket prices on the short haul flights, under 500 miles, and that would make for decent economic conditions to make high speed rail viable. the only other issue would be that you would have to build a separate track system specifically for high speed rail in this country, and leave the older system for freight only. as i said, i actually like high speed passenger rail in this country, as i think it would be better overall for the country.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:18 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
NASA related posts that are related to the theme of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
With Cosmos out now, I hope he will shift gears and go down in history as the Prez that laid down the foundation for the colonization of outer space.

Now that would be frackin' cool!

"We are developing a first-ever mission to identify, capture and relocate and asteroid," NASA chief Charles Bolden said in a statement. "This mission represents an unprecedented technological feat that will lead to new scientific discoveries and technological capabilities and help protect our home planet. This asteroid initiative brings together the best of NASA’s science, technology and human exploration efforts to achieve the president’s goal of sending humans to an asteroid by 2025.

Bolden said NASA's new mega-rocket, the Space Launch System, and its Orion deep-space capsule would be used for the manned portions of the asteroid capture mission. The agency will also "develop new technologies like solar electric propulsion and laser communications -- all critical components of deep space exploration."

In addition to the asteroid mission, NASA's 2014 budget includes continued funding for the International Space Station, as well as increased support for private space taxis, which the space agency plans to rely on to launch American astronauts to the space station now that its shuttle fleet is retired. Commercial spaceflight funding in 2014 is pegged at $821.4 million, just over twice the amount received in 2012."
Quote:
"Finally, a scientist with NASA ties tells me the support in the president's budget for a Europa mission and for a new space telescope, WFIRST, which would study dark energy, is an important step. There are many more gates along the way between conception and execution, but that's always the case, the scientist says: "Building these major missions is a marathon, they both just made it over a big hill, but there are many more miles between here and launch. Given the broad support for both of these missions in the scientific community and Congress on both sides of the aisle, I think that these missions are likely to go forward."

"The budget seeks some of the most significant increases for development of advanced space technology, including more-powerful solar arrays, new satellite propulsion systems and enhanced life-support technology for astronauts.

NASA chief Charles Bolden told reporters that the budget's primary goal is to have the U.S. "remain the world's leader" in space exploration while it "keeps us on the steady path" to eventually send a manned mission to Mars sometime after 2030.

He said the blueprint continues "our stepping-stone approach in sending humans to Mars," by funding deep-space vehicles and developing related technologies as part of the anticipated asteroid mission. The budget makes the most direct link yet between asteroid exploration and its role as a preliminary step to reaching Mars."

Old 05-28-2014, 01:40 PM

As the quotes in the previous state, I hope President Obama will recognize that if he does not want healthcare to be his main legacy, if he wants his name in the history books for all time, he will put more on emphasis on space colonization.

I'm glad to have read that Mr. President was also encouraging the private sector's participation in space travel, especially since many nations might not have the capacity to directly contribute, but they might have wealthy citizens who can.

I hope President Obama would like to be known as the man who laid the groundwork, if not provided the leadership and inspiration for leading mankind to the stars.

And I'm sure Charles Bolden would also wants to known as that kind of leader.

Quote:

Last edited by kovert; 05-28-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 02:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
As the quotes in the previous state, I hope President Obama will recognize that if he does not want healthcare to be his main legacy, if he wants his name in the history books for all time, he will put more on emphasis on space colonization.

I'm glad to have read that Mr. President was also encouraging the private sector's participation in space travel, especially since many nations might not have the capacity to directly contribute, but they might have wealthy citizens who can.

I hope President Obama would like to be known as the man who laid the groundwork, if not provided the leadership and inspiration for leading mankind to the stars.

And I'm sure Charles Bolden would also wants to known as that kind of leader.
For now, its not really cost effective to have a moon colony. We haven't discovered enough natural resources to warrant it, and we haven't exactly perfected long term space habitat outside of the Earths magnetic field.

Private industry will get there sooner or later, for sure. Government could get there faster. There wasn't much of a commercial aviation industry, or interstate commerce by roads until the government built the way. same thing with space travel. Putting a base on the moon is far cheaper then the Iraq war was.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
For now, its not really cost effective to have a moon colony. We haven't discovered enough natural resources to warrant it, and we haven't exactly perfected long term space habitat outside of the Earths magnetic field.

Private industry will get there sooner or later, for sure. Government could get there faster. There wasn't much of a commercial aviation industry, or interstate commerce by roads until the government built the way. same thing with space travel. Putting a base on the moon is far cheaper then the Iraq war was.
Perhaps its time then to pass the baton to emerging economies and their wealthy citizens then.

"Russia and China are eyeing a number of joint high-tech projects, ranging from creation of a new long-range passenger plane to joining forces on a satellite navigation system to compete with American GPS and European Galileo.

The range of prospects was outlined on Friday by Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, who met Chinese Vice-Premier Wang Yang in Siberian Novosibirsk. Rogozin said Russia would develop cooperation with BRICS members in defiance of any possible Western sanctions.

BRICS are an informal group of developing economies comprised of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, with a combined economic and political power allowing them to defend their interests in a world dominated by US-led Western countries. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies