Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yep. I've posted this before, because the argument is tired and I can't be arsed to type up the rebuttal every time, so here goes:
Exactly. This idea that the wealthy are going to take their personal income tax cut bonuses and use it to pay people just because, is ridiculous in the extreme.

If the business they own or are shareholders in demand hiring more employees to keep up, they'll hire more employees. They'll only do that if us peons keep buying stuff. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Yes, I do. My church has a total income of less than $250K per year. From that they pay my salary, a part-time assistant, a part-time custodian, host various 12 step groups, provide free meals for low income people every other week, assist with the local food bank amongst other things.

Does that count?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
The OP's point seems paper thin: Nobody is paid by "poor" people, only the "Job Creators" at the top.

Which, obviously, already have all your money and this argument is inherently fallacious because nobody hires someone just because they have money or their taxes were cut. Demand creates jobs, not "job creators."

And as a record, my previous employer (still in business) didn't gross 250k all year for the business.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
I apologized, I was posting from my cellphone during a morning break at work.

Getting technical on it.

Has anyone been employed by a Person, company, small business LLC, etc... entity that does a job, and recieves money for it on a basis that makes $250k TAXABLE MONEY a year.

As in you recieve a pay$check. If you are self employed like a contractor I don't mean, you got called to do a job at a homeowner that made $75k a year.

I am mainly talking to non-self employed people.

EXAMPLE,

You work as a locksmith, the owner of the business has 6 employees, his small business does over $250k in business, he is doing alright but takes home about $100k salary as the business owner and is investing the rest into his company.

Example,

You work for a company like walmart, your boss that hands you, your check gets $35k a year, but the company makes millions a year.

I was just curious, I have only worked for large companies and entities that made voer $250k a year of taxable profits. to me just seemed silly to impose taxes on them, because then their choices are increas revenue, or cut costs to continue on. Cutting costs can effect me the employee severely. Not trying to get to crazy with a point, I was just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Did any of those higher income business people get to where they`re at without employees to do the work?

Don`t care about R2D2 or tapatalk 1,2,or 3.
No one never said they didn't, employee/business owner is a coexisting relationship, one does not live without the other.

Posted from my "you obviously cared about the auto-signature from tapatalk on my phone or you would not have made an effort to type it" device

Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I apologized, I was posting from my cellphone during a morning break at work.

Getting technical on it.

Has anyone been employed by a Person, company, small business LLC, etc... entity that does a job, and recieves money for it on a basis that makes $250k TAXABLE MONEY a year.

As in you recieve a pay$check. If you are self employed like a contractor I don't mean, you got called to do a job at a homeowner that made $75k a year.

I am mainly talking to non-self employed people.

EXAMPLE,

You work as a locksmith, the owner of the business has 6 employees, his small business does over $250k in business, he is doing alright but takes home about $100k salary as the business owner and is investing the rest into his company.

Example,

You work for a company like walmart, your boss that hands you, your check gets $35k a year, but the company makes millions a year.

I was just curious, I have only worked for large companies and entities that made voer $250k a year of taxable profits. to me just seemed silly to impose taxes on them, because then their choices are increas revenue, or cut costs to continue on. Cutting costs can effect me the employee severely. Not trying to get to crazy with a point, I was just curious.

No one never said they didn't, employee/business owner is a coexisting relationship, one does not live without the other.

Posted from my "you obviously cared about the auto-signature from tapatalk on my phone or you would not have made an effort to type it" device
I agree that cutting business taxes makes sense, and both r's and d's agree on that one, as long as you eliminate the loopholes that let some companies make a profit and still pay nothing. Bigger companies are more likely to be able to work the tax code to their advantage than a small local business. As a result, small businesses pay out the nose, and major corporations can often get off paying nothing. You're right--a small company would most likely turn around and put the corporate tax savings right back into their business.

I'm still not clear what you're concerned about--are you talking about the President's plan to raise taxes on people making more than $250K per year? That's for personal income taxes, and not for corporations. If a business makes more or less than $250K it doesn't matter. The business owner pays himself a SALARY out of the business, just like he pays his employees a salary. If he pays himself more than $250K, then, just like everyone else being paid that much or higher, he may see a tax increase on his personal income if we change the top marginal tax rate. If he pays himself less than $250K, then he won't. The business could net millions of dollars a year and it doesn't matter--the owner will only pay personal income taxes on the amount he draws in salary. The rest falls under corporate taxes. The proposal the President has put out is to cut corporate taxes, close corporate loopholes, and then to slightly raise the top rate for personal income taxes for individuals making $250K or more a year.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't think the OP understands gross (all the money that comes into the business--what you're calling cash flow) vs. net (the money you have left over after you pay all the bills and salaries). The other piece is that the owner usually draws a set SALARY from their business as well--that's the cash they live on, and not just the net profit from the business, because the rest is usually reinvested. A huge portion of small business owners pay themselves way less than $250K a year. I don't pay myself anywhere near that much.

I'm not sure I get the OP's point, but as far as personal income taxes would go, the group the Obama administration is targeting for a minor tax hike are people who, after all the bills and employees are paid and they have money to reinvest in their company for infrastructure, pay themselves a SALARY of over $250K. It has absolutely nothing to do with your "cash flow." The tax hikes will be based on your salary from the business or from an employer.
If Obama means to tax only the net profit why doesn't he say that? He only talks like he wants to hit people who take in more than $250 k. I have never heard him say anything other than $200 or $250 k and he doesn't know enough about business to really know the difference or he takes it for granted that all his followers understand, which most don't.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Since the VAST majority of Americans earn less than $250k, I would say there are a HUGE numbers of people who get paid by people making less than $250k.
Are you talking gross or net, bob?

Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The OP's point seems paper thin: Nobody is paid by "poor" people, only the "Job Creators" at the top.

Which, obviously, already have all your money and this argument is inherently fallacious because nobody hires someone just because they have money or their taxes were cut. Demand creates jobs, not "job creators."

And as a record, my previous employer (still in business) didn't gross 250k all year for the business.
Is this bolded stuff talking about those who say they have to cut jobs because of Obamacare? Many of them wanted to expand but found staying under 50 full time employees was the only thing they could do to avoid the law.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If Obama means to tax only the net profit why doesn't he say that? He only talks like he wants to hit people who take in more than $250 k. I have never heard him say anything other than $200 or $250 k and he doesn't know enough about business to really know the difference or he takes it for granted that all his followers understand, which most don't.
I've never heard Obama explain what he means about the $250K tax. Some of his media pundits say that is an after-deduction figure, but Obama has never confirmed that, to my knowledge. Is that called wiggle room?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
I am not exactly attacking Obama's $250k tax directly...

Just wondering more about the thought process of "down with the rich" I just used $250k, since it seems the president has used that as the arbitrary number of "rich"

My entire job, my cars, and my house, and my retirement account that is growing, is DIRECTLY related to a large company that got huge tax cuts and incentives to open a new plant and create ~5,000 jobs.

I also personally know others that have had similar results in other states in the area with other companies. One of them in fact being GE(the all to famous, large company not paying taxes)

I just step back and think, My state created incentives(low taxes) for a company to come to the area and build a factory.(Massive construction project, all taxes/pay/incentives from construction.), hired all the people to work there including myself. I bought 2 cars, paid sales tax, shop locally, buy fuel, pay state taxes, and property taxes.

If the state did not give the company those tax breaks, the company would not have moved here. If they never came, there woudl be absolutely $0 tax revenue from the entire project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies