Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times

Advertisements

If you were watching the companies that laid people off right after Obama was re-elected, you might have noticed that a lot of them were medical technology/medical device companies - like Welch Allyn, Smith & Nephew, Medtronic. What I know these companies for is Welch Allyn - electronic health record development, Smith & Nephew - makes artificial joints for hip/knee replacements. Medtronic - makes pacemakers. There are others, but these three I remember off the top of my head and have personal knowledge of some of their contributions to medicine. Somewhere in Obamacare there is a "medical device tax" that apparently these companies know will affect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 06:07 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Nice try. I guess if you search enough you can find anything on the internet to "prove" your point. But the truth is, the majority of doctors disagree.

Doctors Call For Repeal Of Obamacare, Say They'll Vote For Romney: Survey

What my doctor thinks of ObamaCare - The Week

Why doctors hate ObamaCare - NYPOST.com

In Michigan, Obamacare to Cause 25% of Doctors to Stop Accepting Medicare Patients - Forbes

Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What Obama's victory means for your health care -- a doctor's take | Fox News

The Doctor discusses various things, but the most important are
1. Doctors will start picking what patients they will accept.
2. More patients will have to go to hospitals for care.
3. Increased cost for Insurance, due to blanket coverage for everyone, including those with pre-existing conditions.
4. Shortage of Doctors.
5. Less innovation, less biomedical research, less drug research.

All this we knew would be the result of ObamaCare. The left was in denial. They still are. They are soon to get a good lesson in reality.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
"Marc Siegel MD is an associate professor of medicine and medical director of Doctor Radio at NYU Langone Medical Center. He is a member of the Fox News Medical A Team"

He is part of the management of a Sirius XM station and he has a slot at Fox. In short, he's a broadcaster with a medical background. As Judge Judy is to law, Marc Siegel is to medicine.
Oh, yes, but since he is featured on Fox News, he is automatically discreditted, don't you see? It doesn't matter what his credentials are.

This is the leftist mindset: Anything reported by Fox is faux.

If this man had said the same on moron.org, they might be listening (dubious, as they do not have ears that can hear).

Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
"Bottom line: my patients who gain a new insurance card may find that it doesn't buy them the care they were expecting."

And the bottom line of the bottom line is: once they have an insurance card, in many cases for the first time in their lives, they will not give it up. If the care it provides isn't up to scratch, no one is going to cry out for a return to the bad old days. Instead, there will be enormous pressure for an improved version, which is likely to be some take on single-payer or UHC.
The intent of ObamaCare always has been a "single payer system." Obama himself told the SEIU that was the goal.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Correct. Nothing to me, but they surely mean the world to you.
When reality hits you in the not too distant future (begining in 2013), you might be singing a different tune. Hope you love all your new taxes, and the reduction in your income. It's all coming. No one will be imune.

Very tough times are ahead, thanks to people like you.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Single payer, if the US implements it in the same manner as Canada, for example, will cover only basic, minimum medical needs.
LOL, you wish.
There might not be so many objections if that was the case.
Extras running the cost up include things like:

"$14,200,000 for Maternal, Infant, and Early Childhood Home Visiting Programs. These programs bring health professionals to meet with at-risk families in their homes and connect families to the kinds of help that can make a real difference in a child’s health, development, and ability to learn - such as health care, early education, parenting skills, child abuse prevention, and nutrition."
How the Health Care Law is Making a Difference for the People of Pennsylvania | HealthCare.gov

A few others on that link....admirable maybe, but affordable right now??

Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
There is no need to deny shortcomings of liberalism, but it is chump change compared to idiocy of the authoritarians. I would rather deal with liberals and the problem they might bring as a baggage than let the authoritarian buffoons run a muck. Hence.

Now, if you wanted to debate progressivism versus conservatism... why the heck would anybody want to live in a cave with tribal laws?
where have you ever claimed a shortcoming of liberalism.?
The fact you think conservatives believe in living in a cave definitely shows your complete in ability to address issues and reach any sort of compromise which is why we are about to go over a cliff,
Because you and I are a dichotomy of the senate and house a complete inability to speak respectfully and come to any sort of mutual agreement. And for that you blame me and for that i blame you so here comes the cliff

Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The intent of ObamaCare always has been a "single payer system." Obama himself told the SEIU that was the goal.
Yes, he did. Then he backed away for reasons of political expediency: he needed the Blue Poodles to pass the bill. But, fortunately, he and the rest of the reality-based population see that single-payer is the only realistic way to contain costs, and therefore preferable and inevitable.

Hurray for common sense!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
That would be the days when insurance wasn't required to cover everything under the Sun, as it should not.

I'll bet as insurance was required to cover more and more, a greater number of people opted out of carrying it due to the ever increasing costs this caused.
In turn making it less affordable for greater numbers of wouuld be subscribers.

ACA doesn't have the failures you describe.
Those were built in intentionally for the purpose of, as I posted above, forcing a single payer system.

Yes, forcing.
Another crafted government emergency.

This is no way to govern and holds no honor.
You'll bet, eh? If I were a gambling woman I'd take you up on it. Most people get their ins. through their employers and don't really pay a lot of attention to what the ins. covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
When I was a kid, insurance only covered you in event of a catastrophe. Everything else was pay as you go. Doctors, however, often helped families in need and there was the state health department as well. I remember going to the state health department with my mom to pick up my brother's GG shots and running them to the doctor who administered them twice a week. I remember him pushing checks back at my mom telling her was ok when she tried to pay him.

Too bad all we have today is gimme, gimme, gimme....
Who is to say what insurance "should" cover? Who was appointed to do that?

Not all doctors did as above, and the health dept, in case you haven't figured this out, is a government agency, supported by taxes. In addition, not all health departments provide direct care services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies