Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,453,115 times

Advertisements

I have some serious points to make:

-So somebody is white and young and therefore they shouldn't deserve SNAP? Say what you will about their choices in life, having pink skin and making art and/or possessing a liberal arts degree does not mean a fat paycheck falls from the sky for you every week EVEN THOUGH your parents may have money. Working at a coffee shop and having student loans to pay off can lead to poverty very very quickly.

-What the HELL is wrong with using SNAP on healthy food? I'd prefer to see people make actual food with it instead of using it to feed their kids frozen chicken fingers and garbage like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,546,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Did the slaves rape your wife back then? Were those the original hipsters? I'll have to check wiki.
The original hipsters were black jazz musicians playing be-bop and smoking reefer in the 1940s...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,122,873 times
Quote:
Read this and puke.

“I have $80 bucks left!” Magida said. “I’m so happy!”
“I have $12,” Mak said with a frown.
The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.
Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.
“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”
Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month.
“I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.”

Hipsters on food stamps - Salon.com
Ok? What are you upset about?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please note the real beneficiaries of the program are the suppliers, processors and retailers of the foods. The people buying these things only get to eat them. The rest make money off the deal.

Without the program the entire agricultural supply chain would contract and the investors would see their profits cut and their investments become less valuable. That would be a disaster for the RED states. the food Stamp program is a subsudy for Agribusiness that just happens to feed people.
^^This.

So what is the issue OP? Is it the food choices, the fact that these people aren't starving? What?

I am thrilled to see that they are eating well and smartly. Less healthcare costs down the road.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,037,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

-So somebody is white and young and therefore they shouldn't deserve SNAP? Say what you will about their choices in life, having pink skin and making art and/or possessing a liberal arts degree does not mean a fat paycheck falls from the sky for you every week EVEN THOUGH your parents may have money. Working at a coffee shop and having student loans to pay off can lead to poverty very very quickly.

-What the HELL is wrong with using SNAP on healthy food? I'd prefer to see people make actual food with it instead of using it to feed their kids frozen chicken fingers and garbage like that.
The problem is that.............never mind. If you don't understand then your too far gone. Maybe you folks should start your own food stamp program to supplement those that feel they aren't getting enough from the government. I'm sure plenty would sign up. Ever think of that?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,344,941 times
Quote:
Read this and puke.

“I have $80 bucks left!” Magida said. “I’m so happy!”
“I have $12,” Mak said with a frown.
The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.
Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.
“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”
Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month.
“I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.”

Hipsters on food stamps - Salon.com

Before I run up to the bathroom and stick my finger down my throat, mind telling us why this is puke worthy?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,970,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

Yeah that's what I don't get what the complaining is about? Surely it's better for everyone and anyone to eat healthier, unprocessed food. Instead, I hear, "how dare they eat good food! They deserve to only eat lab produced meat soaked in sodium complete with disgusting store brand soda loaded with HFCS!" If they can stretch the money out to buy better food, all the more power to them. If you're gonna complain about food stamps, don't complain about people choosing not to eat heart and stroke disease promoting food

4,684 posts, read 4,579,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Owning slaves and raping your wife used to be proper in this country. Now it's illegal. We seriously have gone down hill since those days!
Yeah, and since Romney lost, there's no chance of repeal.

18,630 posts, read 19,445,024 times
What a joke. Why should society have to fund this nonsense?

29,407 posts, read 22,037,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
^^This.

So what is the issue OP? Is it the food choices, the fact that these people aren't starving? What?

I am thrilled to see that they are eating well and smartly. Less healthcare costs down the road.
I didn't know the food stamp program was part of the healthcare bill. People who CHOOSE not to work because they are handed other people's money to live off is not a problem in your eyes apparently. And spare me the drama as I'm sure you can conjure up plenty of horror stories for the poor hipster with the art degree who can't find a job paying six figures. Hey ever thought of getting a job not in your field for the time being to pay the bills? Why of course not. Nobody tells me what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies