Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times

Advertisements

Is This Constitutional? California Aiming to Crack Down on Dog Waste Removal, Sprinkler Use on Private Property

"The draft regulations reportedly include penalties for leaving dog waste lying in your own yard for too long, washing a car in your driveway or letting your sprinkler spray water into the street. Serial offenders could even be subject to jail time.

Officials say the proposed measures are aimed at keeping waterways clean."

I understand not wanting to live near neighbors who leave dog poop on their lawn, but are these proposals going too far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
No, the state and the city have every right to restrict water usage.

Water usage is not a Constitutional right nor is it a god given right.

Not to mention this is California where they want to regulate everything a person does....

Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
No, the state and the city have every right to restrict water usage.

Water usage is not a Constitutional right nor is it a god given right.

Not to mention this is California where they want to regulate everything a person does....
I agree, it's not a Constitutional right. (That just happens to be the title of the article.) I think prohibiting washing your car in your own driveway is going too far though, so I was wondering what everyone else thought about it.

It may create jobs though. One could apply to be a "Dog Poop Patrol Person".

Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I agree, it's not a Constitutional right. (That just happens to be the title of the article.) I think prohibiting washing your car in your own driveway is going too far though, so I was wondering what everyone else thought about it.
How is prohibiting washing your car going too far? If a town has water restrictions, it is perfectly reasonable to restrict that. Living in Arizona, you should know that. Now, where I live with my 40+ inches of rain a year, it seems draconian.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I agree, it's not a Constitutional right. (That just happens to be the title of the article.) I think prohibiting washing your car in your own driveway is going too far though.
Obviously you don't live in the southwest or still live with your parents....

Ever hear of drought restrictions?

I highly suggest you understand this topic, drought restrictions in my city:

http://www.saws.org/conservation/dro...s/StageOne.cfm

And there are 4 levels of drought restrictions....

Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Obviously you don't live in the southwest....

SAWS: Conservation - Stage 2
According to the OP, they do live in AZ. Now I'm wondering if OP is a transplant because out here in the Northeast water restrictions are virtually unknown thanks to our 40+ inches of rain a year evenly dispersed

Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
According to the OP, they do live in AZ. Now I'm wondering if OP is a transplant because out here in the Northeast water restrictions are virtually unknown thanks to our 40+ inches of rain a year evenly dispersed
Would have to be, in San Antonio we have just gotten out from under drought restrictions....

Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
I understand they want to regulate Toilet Paper use also....only 3 sheets at a time.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I understand they want to regulate Toilet Paper use also....only 3 sheets at a time.
About as funny as a hernia...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How is prohibiting washing your car going too far? If a town has water restrictions, it is perfectly reasonable to restrict that. Living in Arizona, you should know that. Now, where I live with my 40+ inches of rain a year, it seems draconian.
Quote:

SAWS: Conservation - Stage 1

And there are 4 levels of drought restrictions....
Did I miss where it referenced droughts or drought restrictions? It's certainly reasonable to restrict water usage during times of drought.

From your link:

Stage Two restrictions begin when the aquifer level reaches 650 feet mean sea level at the monitored well.

"Residential washing of vehicles or other equipment is allowed only on assigned watering days and times. A hose with an automatic shut-off nozzle or bucket of five gallons or less may be used. Water should not be allowed to run into the street."

Quote:
Obviously you don't live in the southwest or still live with your parents....
Thanks for the laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies