Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times

Advertisements

This may have been posted before but I just read it on CNN. If so, moderator, please feel free to delete.

I found it interesting and inspiring and I think this is the kind of thing that Romney would have provided. I know some will say, "he would send all jobs to China and not try and keep them here....". I don't believe that. President Obama doesn't have this kind of experience, JMO, or knowledge enough about the business world to comprehend and I don't think he would listen to advisors.

Home Depot knows when to call it quits - Fortune Management

Quote:
CEO Frank Blake went against the grain and pulled the plug on building more stores in the U.S. and China. And he and his company are reaping the benefits.
Quote:

FORTUNE – The business world is a slave to growth stats. That's how most analysts and other company watchers gauge a firm's success. If you run a retail operation, growth often means building more stores. And if you want in on the best growth rate, you'll head to China. That's where the new middle class and wealthy consumers are. "Grow and grow in China," urges the Greek chorus of corporate spectators.
Home Depot (HD) has balked at all of this. CEO Frank Blake decided to close the hardware chain's operations in China and refrained from building new stores in the United States. And the company has benefited At the end of 2011, Home Depot had earned $70.4 billion in revenue, up 3.5% from 2010. As of this October, a share of Home Depot costs more than $60, an increase of nearly 70% from the same time last year. How did Blake pull this off? Part of it has to do with calling it quits on growth.......snipped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
This may have been posted before but I just read it on CNN. If so, moderator, please feel free to delete.

I found it interesting and inspiring and I think this is the kind of thing that Romney would have provided. I know some will say, "he would send all jobs to China and not try and keep them here....". I don't believe that. President Obama doesn't have this kind of experience, JMO, or knowledge enough about the business world to comprehend and I don't think he would listen to advisors.

Home Depot knows when to call it quits - Fortune Management
Elections do have consequences. But I suspect anyone who voted for more of the same wouldn't give a rat's twinkie for Home Depot. I mean like, hey... it's a Do It Yourself kind of place. And of course, that doesn't fit the new narrative.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
corporations are incredibly successful. does not matter if they go to china or not its always part of the game plan.
most stuff on the shelves of home depot is from china.
the problem is the corporations would rather give americans loans in the way of easy credit rather than pay increases.
the other issue is the bek they are so incredibly efficient with labor, they need less of us, only 45% of americans work.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,623 times
Elections have consequences and the latest re-election of Obama will continue to show depressing ones.

Of course the left will demonize Home Depot - I mean, the owner is wealthy and hard working and successful - all the things lefties despise because they are not able to do that themselves.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Why not support your local, small (likely family run) hardware instead?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Well, I'm pretty progressive and I use Home Depot all the time and make stuff with the people I work with who are generally also politically progressive. We've probably done more construction and made more stuff in the last month or so than any of you guys.

I don't understand the links you guys are trying to make here--Home Depot is NOT expanding and is still doing well therefore the left must hate them. Why? Or the even more ridiculous that people on the left don't make stuff. Why? You understand that one of our only bright spots in the economy, tech startups which includes both software and hardware manufacturing, actually overwhelmingly went for Democrats this election and have to work mockups all the time?

This is a global recession and one that started before Obama (which I assume is where you're pinning your discontent) even took office. The US's economy had some fundamental flaws in it by having value assessed inaccurately and then borrowing and spending against that. Anyone would be in a tough place right now if they were president. I don't see particularly sound logic by pinning it squarely on Obama when it was an entire economic system leading up to this. If things go well, are you also going to pin that on Obama or are you going to say that they went well in spite of him? Is it pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't for him?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Because hardware stores carry, well, hardware, not things like lumber or major building materials. I live in a rural area, near a small city, and built my own house. The local stores didn't care enough about my business to be open at times when I could get there. I'd work all day on Saturdays, figure out what I need for materials for Sunday, make a run to town for dinner and materials. Unfortunately...my small, local building centers and hardware stores close early on Saturdays. Fortunately HD opened about mid-way through my project, they were my regular stop on Saturday evenings. Weekday evenings was often the same deal, by the time I'm out of work, many are closed. HD wins because they offer a higher level of service.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
DUAH>>>>>
Because they don't have the stuff I want and what they do have is the exact same stuff HD has except they charge more......

Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Because hardware stores carry, well, hardware, not things like lumber or major building materials. I live in a rural area, near a small city, and built my own house. The local stores didn't care enough about my business to be open at times when I could get there. I'd work all day on Saturdays, figure out what I need for materials for Sunday, make a run to town for dinner and materials. Unfortunately...my small, local building centers and hardware stores close early on Saturdays. Fortunately HD opened about mid-way through my project, they were my regular stop on Saturday evenings. Weekday evenings was often the same deal, by the time I'm out of work, many are closed. HD wins because they offer a higher level of service.
Sadly, that is a fact of life in America. What really shocks me is that the land of the free and capitalism trails when it comes to thriving small businesses compared to many-many other nations I've been in. In fact, we quickly realize that we're land of big corporations (and these corporations are also trying to change the landscape in these other nations).

That being said, you can lessen your dependency on mega-players. Support local business, as much as you can.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Elections do have consequences. But I suspect anyone who voted for more of the same wouldn't give a rat's twinkie for Home Depot. I mean like, hey... it's a Do It Yourself kind of place. And of course, that doesn't fit the new narrative.
No, no one would care about Home Depot...they made these profits from selling lemonade.

If your post was an attempt to revive the idiocy of the "build that" garbage propaganda, it's quite pathetic. That the right wing chose to push that nonsense at the RNC is one of the many reasons that the event was such a huge flop. Only a really misguided indivdual would not applaud the fact that an American company is choosing to bring and keep the jobs home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies