Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:58 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,882,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I guess if someone has low standards for themselves this could be.

Guess you've never heard of tough love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
This is why I had mixed feelings about that newscaster a few weeks back who answered a rude email on the air, with the gist of her lesson being ''just because I'm fat doesn't mean it's my fault, I can be a good role model, and it's what's inside that matters.''

While I totally agree with the lady, who later went on to say she ran marathons and had a thyroid problem, I think there is a fine line between being respectful and being an enabler. America should be careful with just how far it goes telling people their physical appearance has no bearing on how they are perceived, or who they are.

Because in reality, it often does say something about who they are and does affect how they are perceived. Most importantly though, it gravely affects their health. Don't forget, the more carefree we are about being overweight the more the Monsantos of this world will feel justified in making synthetic heart-cloggers out of usually healthy products - which is a hazard to everyone really.

I grew up chubby - en route towards a fat existence for sure - and today I'm quite thankful my parents (mostly my unapologetic Dad) called me out when I 'abused' and warned me of future consequences - not on my health - but on my social life. I'm healthier for it today.

So, being comfortable in your skin is important. Fact is when you hit the obese range you shouldn't be comfortable in your skin. It's biologically wrong. But folks aren't embarrassed by potential health problems down the road - they're embarrassed by not fitting in. When being fat is fitting in... then we have a serious problem.

What a novel idea. You got fat, your dad gave you a dose of tough love, and todayyou are far better off for it. Something fat enablers and liberals will never understand.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 AM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Guess you've never heard of tough love.
The majority of people with this mentality may be tough, but are very short on love, at least in my experience.

But hey, any excuse to behave like an azzhat.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
The majority of people with this mentality may be tough, but are very short on love, at least in my experience.

But hey, any excuse to behave like an azzhat.

Better to be a coward enabler passive aggressive individual who doesnt want to tell the person the truth while their bodies do irreversible damage to themselves. Keep it real son.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
So, being comfortable in your skin is important. Fact is when you hit the obese range you shouldn't be comfortable in your skin. It's biologically wrong. But folks aren't embarrassed by potential health problems down the road - they're embarrassed by not fitting in. When being fat is fitting in... then we have a serious problem.
Agree, that was my point also; no one should be starving themselves to be "thin", but at the same time, "fat acceptance" isn't something which should be uniformly embraced. Your bolded line pretty much nails it...some folks will be overweight their entire life no matter their lifestyle, but obesity is something which will inevitably kill you at a relatively young age, and shouldn't be accepted as an inevitable fact of life, because it's not.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:18 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is not a black white thing it is a socioeconomic thing. Black people tend to be more obese...yes, but they also tend to be poorer. West Virginia is only slightly less obese than Missisissippi, and have a much lower african American population. The thing that both states have in common is that they are both poor and uneducated. Poor, uneducated people buy cheap, processed, bad food.
why are foodstampers allowed to buy the cheap, processed bad junk food??

the people working are subsidizing these folks,,,, buying this crap?????

Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
That's it -- No more Twinkies.
Or fried chicken and fried everthing else.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
What is it with you progressives and your hatred of chubbers?

Guess your all inclusive tent isn't big enough to include them, lol.

Thought you guys we're the deep type who didn't judge based on appearances.

Not that I ever would have considered dating a fat chick so I guess that makes me progressive in the mate finding dept.

Last edited by doc1; 11-17-2012 at 06:01 AM..

Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Damn. Southerners are a bunch of fatties. It's going to be hard for them to fight that new civil war they want if it means walking distances further than the parking lot into Walmart.
Sure they could, they would need to borrow the electric carts from Walmart though.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I was just thinking about a local restaurant that does a free early Thanksgiving meal for the poor. God bless the guy( who is moslem BTW) who owns the place. But in the photos in the paper, the poor were not looking like they have missed too many meals. More than a few were actually on the heavy side. Maybe some just grifted a free meal, but you don't see starving people these days. At least not in urban areas.
One in four children struggles with hunger. One in three children is obese. An odd statistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies