Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,603 times

Advertisements

For Doll Eyes benefit

She makes a good point. I don't see why people have such condescending attitudes toward single mothers. Most of the single moms i know make significant sacrifices to try and give their kids a better life. A lot of them do an admirable job raising their kids with no emotional support or financial help. Some get financial help from the government. That's the purpose of public assistance. To help people who work hard and try their best but just can't seem to make ends meet on their own. To all the people complaining about tax money, do you really want to live in a society so heartless that we don't help anybody? I'm not in favor of giving money to people who don't work, but many of these women work their a$$es off.

The real problem i have is with deadbeat dads. These guys need to step it up. They are a real burden on society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I suspect it's because single moms are more visible. You see a guy walking down the street without a wedding ring, and you don't assume he's got an out-of-wedlock family he's not taking care of. Meanwhile, you see a woman walking down the street with no ring towing a bunch of kids, and you assume she's a single mother.

Plus, there's a zombie assumption (meaning that it just won't die) buried deep in the minds of many that women are supposed to be the ones to rein in the passions of their significant others and whatnot. men are just slaves to their lusts, ya know? <insert eyeroll here>

Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
It's amazing to me the PRAISE single Dad's get as well. If you're a single Mom, you're a worthless deadbeat, but if you're a single Dad you're praised for stepping up to the plate and making sacrifices for your children.

Apparently, it's so amazing to see men take responsibility for their actions that they get admired for it.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Anybody of any gender who is raising kids on their own and doing a good job of it gets my respect. Parenting is hard, and parenting alone is harder still.

The key is "doing a goog job of it." There are sh*tty single moms, and single dads who are anything but deadbeats.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
For Doll Eyes benefit

She makes a good point. I don't see why people have such condescending attitudes toward single mothers. Most of the single moms i know make significant sacrifices to try and give their kids a better life. A lot of them do an admirable job raising their kids with no emotional support or financial help. Some get financial help from the government. That's the purpose of public assistance. To help people who work hard and try their best but just can't seem to make ends meet on their own. To all the people complaining about tax money, do you really want to live in a society so heartless that we don't help anybody? I'm not in favor of giving money to people who don't work, but many of these women work their a$$es off.

The real problem i have is with deadbeat dads. These guys need to step it up. They are a real burden on society.

So you went and ahead and did it, okay then. LOL....

This is what the men are going to say:

1. she won't let me see my child

2. the system favors men, I can't win

3. She's not going to use my money to get her hair, nails, etc. done/she lives with a man he should take care of it.

4. She should've had an abortion (my personal favorite).

Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
For Doll Eyes benefit

Wow, this is a horrible post. Can I call for this post to be removed in some way?

This hits home a little too hard for me. I'm no way a dead beat dad, but this whole thing really hits dad's every where, hard. Doesn't the media do this already?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
Wow, this is a horrible post. Can I call for this post to be removed in some way?

This hits home a little too hard for me. I'm no way a dead beat dad, but this whole thing really hits dad's every where, hard. Doesn't the media do this already?

Did he say you were a dead beat dad?

And oh how the chickens come home to roost...you want one single thread removed about 'deadbeat dads,' boo hoo. How do you think the single mothers who take care of their kids with NO help from the fathers, feel reading these numerous threads about how they're 'no good,' 'tramps,' 'only want badboys,' 'regular men are too good for them,' etc. No you didn't make those threads but too bad, if they have to read it -- so do you.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's amazing to me the PRAISE single Dad's get as well. If you're a single Mom, you're a worthless deadbeat, but if you're a single Dad you're praised for stepping up to the plate and making sacrifices for your children.

Apparently, it's so amazing to see men take responsibility for their actions that they get admired for it.
I highly doubt many agree. A small percentage that is likely blown out of proportion. I have no doubt most do their best.

Things happen but I do not think anyone should have children unless they have 50K in the bank and stable job(s) with health insurance. Don't breed if you can't feed.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post

It shouldn't bother you at all if you're doing the responsible thing and doing right by your child/children.

FYI, the media does a pretty good job of excoriating single moms as leeches on the system, tramps, irresponsible, etc.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,842 times
What qualifies men, who have kids, to be a dead beat? I have my daughter and take care of her as best as I can. Before when my ex had her, would that qualify me as a dead beat? I was paying for child support and more (having to give her gas money for a 5 minute drive when I drove for 3 hours). Even though my living situation was much better than my ex's, the judicial system said my daughter needs her mother over her father.

I've read posts from you, Doll Eyes, and I know you can do better than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies