Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christmas decorations be allowed and put in public places?
Yes 185 78.72%
No 23 9.79%
Only if other religious holidays symbols are put 27 11.49%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
As long as symbols or displays representing other religions(or lack thereof) are allowed.
Just curious, what symbol or display would an agnostic feel the urge to display?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
No, nothing should be open at all on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, including movie theaters, and few restaurants that remain open. Fortunately in my area they are all closed except for movies.

Actually the majority of New Yorkers and SF are Christians, with large minority of other religions and non-religion. They are still in the US, and not their own independent states.

When we are allowed to put up Christmas decorations in public, and stop being sued over, and stop saying "Happy Holidays", we will be fine. Good Friday should also become a federal holiday.

San Francisco has around 68% Christians, and New York City close to 70%.
What part of majority does NOT rule when it comes to state sanctioned religions (or religious holidays) do you not understand???

Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
No, nothing should be open at all on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, including movie theaters, and few restaurants that remain open. Fortunately in my area they are all closed except for movies.
What happened to the free market and capitalism being god in America? You'd best go talk to all of your conservative "job creators" who stay open to make money on those days. They obviously have no problems with "heathens" so long as there is a buck to be made.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 AM

734 posts, read 933,032 times
Quote:
Christmas Day is a Federal/State Holiday in the United States, and is celebrated by 96% of Americans (80% of Americans are Christians).

Christmas is celebrated because of the birth of Christ 2,000 year's ago (Even according to the federal website over holidays).

Since we have 'separation of religion and state', should Christmas decorations be allowed and be put in public places, such as city parks, city halls, state buildings, federal buildings?

Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some Christmas decorations....

I realize most people do not spend their time researching topics to gain knowledge. It's a pity, if only Christians actually read the Bible, they would know that Jesus Christ was not born on December 25 or anywhere near that date. The Bible does not specify a date or month. One problem with December is that it would be unusual for shepherds to be “abiding in the field” at this cold time of year when fields were unproductive. The normal practice was to keep the flocks in the fields from Spring to Autumn. Also, winter would likely be an especially difficult time for pregnant Mary to travel the long distance from Nazareth to Bethlehem (70 miles).

Based on this basic information, I'm confused as to whose birthday Christians are celebrating on December 25th. Actually, I know, but I'll let you conduct your own research. Christians should realize that the Romans infused pagan celebrations w/ Christian practices. Prior to converting pagan people to Christianity, many celebrated the Winter Solstice. During the winter solstice, pagan's worshiped their "gods" by hanging wreaths around their windows and decorating pine trees. The "celebration" also included wild orgies, and extreme drinking.

Many customs created around Yule are identified with Christmas today. If you decorate your home with a Yule tree, holly or candles, you are following some of these old traditions. The Yule log, (usually made from a piece of wood saved from the previous year) is burned in the fire to symbolize the Newborn Sun, not "Son."

Please do your research. Since these traditions are in keeping w/ pagan practices, it's best not to engage in them.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:41 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:

Actually the majority of New Yorkers and SF are Christians, with large minority of other religions and non-religion. They are still in the US, and not their own independent states.

When we are allowed to put up Christmas decorations in public, and stop being sued over, and stop saying "Happy Holidays", we will be fine. Good Friday should also become a federal holiday.

In this country being in the majority does not give you the right to dictate what others are allowed to say. I will say happy holidays if I so choose, and there is nothing you can do to stop me.
As for decorations, I don't care what you put up on your property or on your churches property. On publicly owned land (city, state, federal) either all views should be allowed, or none.

Stop with the persecution complex. No one is stopping you from decorating your yard, no one is stopping you from caroling, no one is stopping you from praying wherever you choose, no one is stopping you from saying merry Christmas, no one is stopping you from believing whatever you want, no one is stopping you from going to the church of your choosing.
Just because everyone else is not required to do what you think they should, does not mean you are being persecuted.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who is "they," and why does that matter? If you're referring to that earlier poster, I'm quite sure they just threw out the first few religions that came to mind... and since there are a ton of Hindus in the US, they fit right in with that question/answer.

As I said earlier, Diwali is widely celebrated where I live. We even have towns here (Silicon Valley) where the dominant group is Indian/Hindu - so would you be offended by the lack of Christmas greetings in one of those towns?
"they" is the people you are conversing with. It matters because when you decide to participate in a conversation with others, you should actually read what "they" are discussing.

I'm from NJ (the highest Indian concentration in the US; home of India Square), so Diwali obviously has a presence here. I'm a huge fan of fireworks, so I most certainly enjoy the Diwali celebrations. So, no, I would not be the least bit offended.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:

There's a difference between calling yourself a Christian and being a practicing Christian. Only 43% of the US are practicing Christians. As low as 35% in my state, NJ. 65% of New Jerseyans could care less about opposing religions.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What happened to the free market and capitalism being god in America? You'd best go talk to all of your conservative "job creators" who stay open to make money on those days. They obviously have no problems with "heathens" so long as there is a buck to be made.
That's needs to be changed, and we need government regulations since big corporates do not learn their lesson and stop treating employees like slaves.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's a difference between calling yourself a Christian and being a practicing Christian. Only 43% of the US are practicing Christians. As low as 35% in my state, NJ. 65% of New Jerseyans could care less about opposing religions.
A person is Christian if he/she is baptized, and believe in Jesus Christ as lord and savior.
It does not matter if a person practice it strictly or not. I only go to church on holidays, and few other events such as funeral, wedding, and baptism. Does that not make me Christian?! You just want to make the number smaller.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What part of majority does NOT rule when it comes to state sanctioned religions (or religious holidays) do you not understand???
Yes it does. Why do you think we adopted the Christian calendar, Sunday as a day of rest, Christian holidays and culture, etc.?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies