Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 AM

73,129 posts, read 62,961,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The point isn't that things were worse in the 1950's, or any other era, it is that ppl that wish for the good old dayz are only "remembering" an idealized world, the "Father Knows Best" past of their youth. That world didn't exist, it was an image the media propaganda machine pumped out to the middle class to mask over reality and to give the ramble something to strive for. Marketing of the American dream.

Another show from that period, Bachelor Father, gives a glimpse of the realities of the 1950's. In the credit opening we see the cast members, John Forsythe as the Father, a daughter, a Chinese butler, and a big fluffy dog. The series title is put up and the John Forsythe's name and face is highlighted. While the faces of the rest of the cast are shown their names aren't. The producers only give an opening credit to the white male lead and none for the woman or the Chinese man.
Now I'm starting to see. Your point is that many people forget that not all was right with the "good old days". People only remember the "good" and forget the bad.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,216,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Now I'm starting to see. Your point is that many people forget that not all was right with the "good old days". People only remember the "good" and forget the bad.
Many weren't even aware or didn't notice "inequity" and bigoty that was common place back then. But they see things they don't like in today's world and want to go back to a time when those things, like gays, didn't exist. What they're really hoping for is a return to open racism, bigotry, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, pay equality and a time when hitting your wife and public displays of hate against your fellow man was tolerated and even accepted.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,355,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Many weren't even aware or didn't notice "inequity" and bigoty that was common place back then. But they see things they don't like in today's world and want to go back to a time when those things, like gays, didn't exist. What they're really hoping for is a return to open racism, bigotry, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, pay equality and a time when hitting your wife and public displays of hate against your fellow man was tolerated and even accepted.
There is nothing - NOTHING - that anyone could offer me that would entice me to return to the 50s. I loved growing up in the 50s, but I was a child then and was ignorant. I am an adult now (an old one, at that) and am acutely aware of the inequities that existed for everyone except white males during the halcyon 50s. Inequities that no one acknowledged, much less attempted to fix. Add to that the primitive technology and yet to be discovered medical treatments for many diseases, and it makes me scratch my head in wonder at anyone who longs for the "good ol' days."

Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,301,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
And what "drug epidemic" in the '50s?
Again: all those nice 50's housewives taking diet pills that were nothing but speed. And people were actually smoking pot in the 50's. It's true. All the clubs on Sunset that your family apparently wouldn't have thought of visiting, were full of people sneaking out to take hit on a joint. Or use cocaine.

"Some get a kick from cocaine." (Cole Porter) Sinatra recorded it in 1953 and he wasn't singing about Coca Cola.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM

7,694 posts, read 5,578,298 times
I'm curious. Who longs for "good ol' days"? I assume those who grew up in that era have good and bad memories. It's not surprising that they would focus on the good memories. Who would want to focus on bad memories? That doesn't make sense.

I'm interested in genealogy and last year interviewed an elderly relative about her experiences growing up in the 1930s, asking a lot of open ended questions. She talked openly about her life and described what it was like to grow up with very little money but when I asked certain other personal questions she suddenly clammed up and abruptly said "I don't want to talk about that." She was obviously distressed. I gently led the conversation back to pleasanter memories.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,167,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The difference between the 50s and the 90s has alot to do with illusion. Illusion comes from not having someone say anything. Because "the other" didn't have a say, everything was basically kept silent. People today say that we live in a more divided society than ever. People say we have more degenerates than ever.

I say this. WHEN HAVE WE NOT BEEN DIVIDED? WHEN HAVE WE NEVER HAD DEGENERATES? The difference between then and now is this. The "others" didn't have a say. If you were Black, Asian, female, Hispanic,etc , you didn't have a say. Any problems that you had, you kept them to yourself because you were considered "inferior" and you were expected to "know their place".

People complain about degenerates in our society. They have always been there. However, in the 50s, degenerates were shoved to the shadows. If you were considered a degenerate, no one wanted you around. There was no one to promote you. There were gangs in the inner cities in the 1950s. However, if you lived in the suburbs, you didn't think about this. You weren't there.

Basically, silence was the difference between 1950 and now. Today, everything is "in your face". The problems that have always existed in society were brought to the forefront, were put in everyone's face. People had to acknowledge these problems. No one had to acknowledge the dismal treatment of women until women started speaking out in larger numbers. No one had to acknowledge that African-Americans were being treated like crap until Dr. King and his protesters were being physically attacked by police officers and attack dogs. No one had to care, until it was on television.
Ladies and Gentlemen...truth has been spoken!!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:46 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,313,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Again: all those nice 50's housewives taking diet pills that were nothing but speed. And people were actually smoking pot in the 50's. It's true. All the clubs on Sunset that your family apparently wouldn't have thought of visiting, were full of people sneaking out to take hit on a joint. Or use cocaine.

"Some get a kick from cocaine." (Cole Porter) Sinatra recorded it in 1953 and he wasn't singing about Coca Cola.
I also remember reading that alcohol abuse and benzo abuse (valium, etc.) went way up in the 1950's. If everything was so idyllic, why did so many need to numb themselves? Of course, you never saw Beaver's mom popping a Valium before dad came home ...

Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,359,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I realize there were struggles for black people, but this thread is not about that, and as a white guy, you have to give me the benefit of the doubt, since I did not live a black persons life and cannot imagine what it may have been like. The thread is about how things used to be and how families spent time together, played together, worked together, etc. Maybe I am referring to the way white folks used to behave family wise, I have no clue as to how black families behaved as I was not raised in a black family. I was just a kid and was not concerned about other families, only my own and only knew how I was raised. Maybe you could start a thread about the struggles of the black family in the 50's, then maybe us white folks would have a better understanding. Until you do, don't take our happy memories away from us because you had it rough, most of us had no clue, we were just kids. BTW, I was born and raised in Pittburgh. ----

August Wilson Center for African American Culture

I was raised in Pittsburgh as well 74-2004 and I do remember happy times, but I also can recall the things that my grandmother and parents had to endure as well. I do also remember the racial riots at Brashear high school in the early 80's, which suprising enough also involved your old neighborhood, Hazelwood

Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,404,844 times
I was raised in a small in town in the Midwest during the 50's. The town was so small that the town constable and the town drunk was the same person. Three churches and no bars. The guy had to ride his bicycle (he didn't have a drivers license) over to a neighboring town 5 miles away to get hammered. Gossip was the main currency.....did you see what such and such wore to church last Sunday? Let's not forget the party lines.......8 neighbors listening in on your conversations, what's not to like about that.
I reckon things haven't changed so much, the folks that long for the good old days are the same people that want to stick their noses into other peoples lives today.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,879,260 times
That was then. This is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.