Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Don't forget that the majority of people who remember the 1950s are remembering their lives as children. Parents usually tend to shelter their children and protect them. It's natural that people remembering their childhood, particularly younger childhood, would feel safer then than they feel now as adults.
Excellent points.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Don't forget that the majority of people who remember the 1950s are remembering their lives as children. Parents usually tend to shelter their children and protect them. It's natural that people remembering their childhood, particularly younger childhood, would feel safer then than they feel now as adults.
This makes the most sense yet!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
And the inverse is true. People who have bad memories from a certain decade(or who weren't even born yet) won't have good memories of that decade. For instance, I wouldn't have good memories of it. All I know of the 1950s comes from learning about history, and I was born in 1986. I wasn't born yet, and my own perspective is shaped by race. Someone who was a kid in 1950 might have better memories, depending on who he or she is.

The 1950s means different things to different people depending on who they are.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
But the was cocaine, morphine, heroin, pot and a host of other prescribed drugs. Qualudes (714 or Ludes) black beauties, pain killers, valiums, sleeping pills and whatever killed Norma Jean.
And that stuff is much bigger problem now than it ever was back then.

Quote:
Just becuz it wasn't publicized or in the media every night doesn't mean sex, drugs (alcohol abuse and smoking) and rock-n-roll wasn't going on. In the 1940's the Nazis were killing millions of Jews and the American public never heard a word.
On the contrary, the media (especially newspapers) printed some very disturbing stories and news.

Quote:
My parents were born in the mid 1930's, middle class in nice neighborhoods in the city. My mom had her first kid just after she turned 15, married just before the birth. She wasn't alone, many of their schoolmates "left school early". They also smoked, drink and smoked pot (first bag of pot I bought from mom). Ppl just didn't talk about those things and the media wasn't covering it.
Again, it's much more common now than then. The mid-to-late '60s is when the drug epidemic began.

Quote:
Let's not forget the thalidome (sp?) kids of the 1950. Kids born with flipper arms or missing limbs becuz of the free wheeling big pharma using the public as guinea pigs. I only point that one out because two kids I know had been exposed and had limb deformities. The 50-year global cover-up | smh.com.au
That is not exclusive to the '50s. To repeat, nobody said the '50s was perfect; no decade was. But for many who lived then the positives far outnumbered the negatives.

Go back to the '50s for a while...
doowop,oldies,50's,50s,60's,60s,nostalgia,nostalgi c,memorabilia,grease,jukeboxes 1

Old 11-27-2012, 04:23 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This could be a big part of why the 1950s are viewed as the idyllic era. After the hard times, the baby boomer period was like a breath of fresh air, for some people. For others, it was more of the same hard times.
Or it was the first breather in decades. My dad left the farm for the navy at sixteen to get away from the farm. My mom's dad left the family, no alimony, child support or offer of such when she was a teenager during the depression. Dad fought all across the pacific. Mom had a map, sadly since then lost, she made of all the places he'd been. He went back in for Korea. After Korea he got a good job in the early times of what became the space program. For them, it was the first stability in a long time. For them for that reason alone it was a good time.

What gets me from so many posts is this need for an absolute answer. For my parents, it wasn't a bad time. But my grandfather worked in movies, and I'm sure she followed the hunt for reds very closely. Very little political was discussed in the family, but that was only to my ears. I sometimes wonder how many posts on this board now never would have happened then, for fear of a suspicion of disloyalty and that leading to loss of job, etc. My mom had gotten past the worse parts of her life, but she had a carrear as an artist taken away from her by dad, and she was absolutely in favor of me going to college and learning to do something for myself. She hadn't forgotten. She just didn't talk about it.

For others, the good times weren't there and the bad had never stopped. But even for those of us who do have good memories, I can see through the veil. I didn't learn to do that until later, when I got old enough to study that time and learned about all the stuff that was quietly tucked away. I really wonder if it would have been so idellic if we'd grown up aware of the things we do now. Quite honestly, I think not. If I'd been an adult then, and known of what I do now, I honestly don't think I'd be able to say if it was any better than today. Different plusses and negatives, but the balance isn't all that different.

The fifties were a time in transition, as these are now, and there are always a lot of people who feel as if they've been left adrift during such times. But if you were a child you didn't know that, since you hadn't been around before, and as an adult you can understand a little but never quite the same. But if you were an adult it was the moment the world slowed down and you found it wasn't the one you remembered anymore. No wonder the clinging to family values and saving the past was so strong and so valued.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But if you're Black, aren't you going to want to see some images of yourself besides racist caricatures? I would think so. Hollywood was very racist back in the 1950s. I don't care about this "when in Rome" stuff. It only applies if you travel to a different places. Blacks are American and were suppose to be treated as American, and they weren't treated like Americans in the 50s.
It is up to you to push the black image as positive. I don't have time to go into it, but I think you know where I'm comming from and where I'm going.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Yes, America was better in those days, far from perfect mind you, but as a people we were morally stronger, more independant, more patiotic, and made family a priority. Yes, it would take decades to make things more fair and equal for minorities, but we are now a debter nation, have very large social programs that is killing the economy and work ethic, and have greatly harmed the nuclear family concept which gives a nation and people great stability.

Self reliance, making your community safe and healthy for children, honoring the old, and self improvement will be the only way to bring America back to greatness. Liberals have so harmed our nation (some idiot conservatives too!) and the ACLU and other PC police organizations have crippled our social values and helped to close the once open American mind.
I agree to some extent and would love to see people have more sense of civic duty

Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Yes, I know where it is my wife was from Penn Hills after they finally allowed blacks to live there.
Penn Hills has always had black people, The Lincoln Park section comes to mind. Hate to say it, but the black section of Penn Hills can be a dangerous area.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:08 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
were you even alive in the 1950's?? There are over twice the ppl and about a thousand times the media.

Nobody has claimed ALL things are BETTER today than the 1950's, I'm thinking what everyone has been saying all along is any social issue or problem we see today has been with us, even in your idealized 1950's. Are some things worse, sure. But there are just as many things that are much better today.

Drug problems have always been with us. In the 1950's millions of ppl were smoking themselves to death with he-man unfiltered cigarettes and were we being told by "scientists" that smoking was good for us. Alcohol abuse was more deadly then any other "drug" we use. Adjusted for population growth it was a far greater problem back then, more deaths, more "lost" lives. AA was founded to combat a serious problem that society and the government wasn't dealing with.

Driving cars that were "unsafe at any speed", without safety devices or even seatbelts was a serious problem. I remember the broadcast news reports of the day. Every week they would announce the national death toll on the roads that week. If I remember it was in the hundreds nearing a thousand every week. Adjusted for population and/or miles driven traffic fatalities today are 1/3 of what they were in the 1950's.

Bottom line, the social issues of the 1950's were just as pressing as today. As we solve one it is replaced by another. Drugs, alcohol, underage sex, "immorality", spousal abuse, bigotry, sexism, racism, hate, not believing science... These aren't new problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
And that stuff is much bigger problem now than it ever was back then.

On the contrary, the media (especially newspapers) printed some very disturbing stories and news.

Again, it's much more common now than then. The mid-to-late '60s is when the drug epidemic began.

That is not exclusive to the '50s. To repeat, nobody said the '50s was perfect; no decade was. But for many who lived then the positives far outnumbered the negatives.

Go back to the '50s for a while...
doowop,oldies,50's,50s,60's,60s,nostalgia,nostalgi c,memorabilia,grease,jukeboxes 1

Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 AM

990 posts, read 939,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Father Knows Best @ Thanksgiving - YouTube

Love of country and God and our religious freedom. Seems we are going in the other direction to our detriment. I miss "Father Knows Best" all the men on TV comedies now are goofballs. Sad.

WASHINGTON, DC (CNSNews.com) - On Thanksgiving week in 1954, NBC aired a holiday-themed "Father Knows Best" that ended with the family praying before their meal, including thanking God "for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose."
The Nov. 21, 1954 show featured the Anderson family: Jim and Margaret and their three children, Betty, Bud and Kathy.

In the program, the family decided to forgo a Thanksgiving meal because of scheduling conflicts. But in the end, the parents and children decide that sitting down to a Thanksgiving meal together is the best way to celebrate.

Your religious freedom is not being imposed on in any way. Just stop embarrassing yourself already. You are free to be a nutjob cultist in your own home and even out in public, just as long as you do not force it on others, which you obviously want to do. Plenty of TV shows have characters who are Christian or who go to Church. Many shows do episodes about religious dillemmas. Just a couple weeks ago there was an episode of "The New Normal" (a show which features both a gay couple and a middle-aged midwestern white Christian woman) where one of the main characters went to confession and spoke to a priest.

So seriously, just get over yourself. Maybe the reason why shows like "Father Knows Best" aren't on the air anymore is because people just don't like that kind of cheese these days. 7th Heaven was a hugely popular show for more than a decade (ending in 2007), but you neglect to mention that fact. Here's a list of some Religious TV Characters.

Just another thread by a cultist who is upset that more and more people are coming to terms with the idiocy of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies