Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,347,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I later mentioned that I should have emphasized "sheltered" from the outside world as opposed to safe.
Sheltered we were. I was a child then, but looking back, I can see that the phrase, "ignorance is bliss" perfectly describes the 50s.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 PM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Sheltered we were. I was a child then, but looking back, I can see that the phrase, "ignorance is bliss" perfectly describes the 50s.
Reminds me of my own childhood. Ignorance for me was bliss. The more I started to know about the world growing up, the more unhappy I was.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,291,908 times
Quote:
We felt safe?? We had bomb drills in school on a regular basis. We crawled under our desks, ducked our heads and covered them with our arms. That's how we were taught to protect ourselves from an atomic bomb attack. Kids in the 50s lived with the threat of being annihilated by the Bomb. How safe do you think that made us feel??
A few years later, but I remember being in elementary school in 1963, and the day the two leaders would blink or it was over, that my dad stayed home from work and I stayed home from school. If nobody blinked, then we were home together. I also remember in the 60's being so angry and getting to where all the violence we saw on the news and in the streets didn't reguster. In comparison, I suppose the fifties were 'innocent' if you were a kid, but I read now about the reality of them, the one I didn't know, and can't see that anymore. But we had duck and cover and with desks which wouldn't shield you from falling things in an earthquake, nobody really believed it was going to save you from the bomb.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,541,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah, we were too busy with polio.
Polio was not caused by a lifestyle. You caught it by being exposed to someone who had it just by being near them, not having sex with them. Even now you won't catch AIDS if you are careful not to have sex with someone who has it or take drugs with dirty needles.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 AM

24,516 posts, read 33,357,861 times
Quote:
We felt safe?? We had bomb drills in school on a regular basis. We crawled under our desks, ducked our heads and covered them with our arms. That's how we were taught to protect ourselves from an atomic bomb attack. Kids in the 50s lived with the threat of being annihilated by the Bomb. How safe do you think that made us feel??
That didn't keep kids from playing outside (which, btw, was a lot safer then). It didn't keep older kids away from the malt shop and drive in and drag racing. Maybe someone should have told them they should have been "terrified?"

As we have seen, terrorists of the 2000s were a bigger threat than the atom bomb threat was in the '50s and '60s.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 AM

[quote=ThinkBeforeYouVote;27105815]
Your religious freedom is not being imposed on in any way. Just stop embarrassing yourself already. You are free to be a nutjob cultist in your own home and even out in public, just as long as you do not force it on others, which you obviously want to do. Plenty of TV shows have characters who are Christian or who go to Church. Many shows do episodes about religious dillemmas. Just a couple weeks ago there was an episode of "The New Normal" (a show which features both a gay couple and a middle-aged midwestern white Christian woman) where one of the main characters went to confession and spoke to a priest.

So seriously, just get over yourself. Maybe the reason why shows like "Father Knows Best" aren't on the air anymore is because people just don't like that kind of cheese these days. 7th Heaven was a hugely popular show for more than a decade (ending in 2007), but you neglect to mention that fact. Here's a list of some Religious TV Characters.

Just another thread by a cultist who is upset that more and more people are coming to terms with the idiocy of religion.[/quote]

Oh no, religion isn't under attack at all these days. Roll eyes. You just proved it is. This would have never been said in the 50s at least not in polite company. Most people were practicing Christians and let it be known to any and all who asked them. The show by a Bishop was in the top ten for crying out loud. Bishop Sheen's show, "Life is Worth Living." Millions of Americans sat down each week to listen to a religious show, not a "New Normal" show that stereotypes and puts down religion.

I only posted the "Father Knows Best" show since it showed a family praying together and wanting to be together at the meal during, Thanksgiving. I also think they showed praying before meals in the episodes. No whining or bickering from anyone about the show then.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Those "family values" were often a false face for lives of quiet desperation.

Name a time that isn't true for some people. As far as the 50s were concerned. The war in the 40s were over and the men were coming home to an explosion of prosperity. The economy was booming and every industry was growing. Many people could buy a house and a car easily. My father started his own business, something I think would be almost impossible today.

My parents grew up during the depression so I know they thought they had it better.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 AM

24,516 posts, read 33,357,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
were you even alive in the 1950's?? There are over twice the ppl and about a thousand times the media.
No, I know quite a few people who were. Almost without exception, they say that life in general (and the U.S.) was better in the '50s compared to today.

Quote:
Nobody has claimed ALL things are BETTER today than the 1950's, I'm thinking what everyone has been saying all along is any social issue or problem we see today has been with us, even in your idealized 1950's. Are some things worse, sure. But there are just as many things that are much better today.
"Some things are worse?" More like "a lot" of things are worse.

Quote:
Drug problems have always been with us. In the 1950's millions of ppl were smoking themselves to death with he-man unfiltered cigarettes and were we being told by "scientists" that smoking was good for us. Alcohol abuse was more deadly then any other "drug" we use. Adjusted for population growth it was a far greater problem back then, more deaths, more "lost" lives. AA was founded to combat a serious problem that society and the government wasn't dealing with.
I was referring to mind-altering drugs (marijuana, cocaine, LSD, PCP).
And alcohol abuse has been a problem in every decade.

Quote:
Driving cars that were "unsafe at any speed", without safety devices or even seatbelts was a serious problem. I remember the broadcast news reports of the day. Every week they would announce the national death toll on the roads that week. If I remember it was in the hundreds nearing a thousand every week. Adjusted for population and/or miles driven traffic fatalities today are 1/3 of what they were in the 1950's.
People still die in car accidents. And, again, that is not exclusive to the '50s. BTW, Cadillac had seat belts available as far back as 1957.

Quote:
Bottom line, the social issues of the 1950's were just as pressing as today. As we solve one it is replaced by another. Drugs, alcohol, underage sex, "immorality", spousal abuse, bigotry, sexism, racism, hate, not believing science... These aren't new problems.
But in the '50s, society had morals and values; they sure don't now! No way can you compare underage sex and drugs use during the '50s to later decades.
"Not believing science?" What does that mean? The phony "global warming/rising sea levels" scam?
And what is the "hate" you mention? Is not agreeing with something automatically "hate?"

Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,760,517 times
Quote:
Those "family values" were often a false face for lives of quiet desperation.
I don't think so, not from what I remember.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 AM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
But in the '50s, society had morals and values; they sure don't now! No way can you compare underage sex and drugs use during the '50s to later decades.
"Not believing science?" What does that mean? The phony "global warming/rising sea levels" scam?
And what is the "hate" you mention? Is not agreeing with something automatically "hate?"
Teen pregnancy was much higher in the 1950s than it is now. The difference is that whenever a teenage girl got pregnant, she was sent away, as to not embarrass the parents.

And can you prove that global warming is a fake?

And something else. Men were cheating on their wives and even hitting them, just as what happens today. However, today, women can get divorces much easier, and they don't have to put up with it.

Society was never really that moral to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies