Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Yet, all across America drivers load and unload products from their own trucks as they deliver soda, beer, chips, etc.

Only in the union does it take multiple people to perform one person's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yet, all across America drivers load and unload products from their own trucks as they deliver soda, beer, chips, etc.

Only in the union does it take multiple people to perform one person's job.

And they wonder why so many people hate unions. They performed a valuable service at one point in time, but became quite unreasonable, costly and wasteful.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It is not the responsibility of a company to define a "livable wage". There are values placed on every single job that is performed. Unions distort these wage scales. Your employers is not responsible for paying your bills....if they were, there would be no unions, because every persons debt is different.

Should one who is prudent with their lifestyle earn less than one who has built up overwhelming debt? Because that is what you're saying.
B/S.......................... A hard days work deserves a good days pay............... simple.
Maybe if Management had been more "PRUDENT" with their bonuses............. Hostess would be a viable Company.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So you think family corporations are not concerned about those things? I mean there is some truth to your analysis, family firms tend to have longer term views and may put some more focus on interpersonal relationships than PE firms.

However they have board of directors too and are subject to the same economic forces as any other business. If they don't make enough money they close.
You were doing good Ed until you threw in the BLACK part. As a white guy you just lost me. I don't like racists.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Unions are like any other controling factor and must have certain restraints put on their power.
Yes Unions should protect their workers rights but NO they should not be unreasonable with working practices.
This happened in the UK where the Unions put down extremely unreasonable demands such as the use of two vehicles to transport bread and cakes but restraints were put on Unions in the UK to stop them becoming megalomaniacs and the same should be done here BUT unions are needed to stop the same megalomania occuring by the CEO's and management.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
B/S.......................... A hard days work deserves a good days pay............... simple.
Maybe if Management had been more "PRUDENT" with their bonuses............. Hostess would be a viable Company.
Yes, a company with 2.5 billion dollars in revenue was brought down by a couple of million dollars worth of executive bonuses. Riiight.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
2.5 Billion in sales... brought to their knees by a few hundred million in operating expenditures. I and everyone I know really knows why Hostess is in the drink. We all used to add to Hostesses bottom line. I ate my last Twinkie sometime in the 90's. This after swearing them off in the 80's. They were already garbage. Hostess would have had 4 or 5 Billion in sales if they actually made products that tasted good. But no one wants to talk about that. The American economy is in a death spiral because even union airline pilots wages have been cut. Why on earth should anyone employed in a job take less money than the salary they started with??? Why? Because the exec's ran the company into the ground so the rank and file should take it on the *****? Also not up for discussion (apparently) are the multi-million dollar bonuses slated for distribution to the company execs.Hmmmmm. Unions now represent 7% of the American workforce. Tell me with a straight face that unions are a threat to National Security. If we don't start getting Americans back to work at reasonable wages OR getting some increased tax revenue out of the 1% (I'm not saying which) that will be the national security nightmare.

H

Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
OR...it's unhealthy crap nobody wants to eat.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Little Debbie costs less. That's why I switched over years ago. Hostess had just gotten too expensive for my budget.
Little Debbie is about 1/2 the price of Hostess products.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
I rarely eat sweets anymore, be it Hostess, Little Debbie... whatever. So I guess as a consumer I have contributed to Hostesses decline. Not saying that I always eat healthy, but I lost my sweet tooth years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies